05-28-2020, 03:21 PM
Free Member

So I ordered this VHS to PC capture device as I thought it would be a nice birthday gift to transfer some old home videos onto the PC. but when it came it was an EASYCAP not EX-PRO like it was advertised but I went ahead and installed it loaded everything up but it couldn't see the video.
I thought it must be the scart as I accidentally got a scart to red green blue cable, but when I got an RCA/phono cable it still won't work.
I've played the tapes on the TV so I know they do work as do the cables.
I did see an old post on here saying to use VirtualDub but even that can't find the Video. I'm not using the S-Video as it's RCA - RCA there is no S-Video to put on it. has anyone managed to solve this problem or any knowledge on how to resolve it?

Thank you
Kane
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Free Member

You have to give more details.

What is the brand and model of the VCR?

You indicate your connecting the Yellow (RCA) Composite to one of your SCART outputs.

Which SCART output, the Decoder or the TV?

The Decoder is for Input from a Cable or Satellite box, it will not put out a signal.

The TV is for output, but unless you have an SCART that has two outputs you will not be able to see the picture on your TV at the same time as through your EasyCAP.

Some VCRs have an extra RCA output in addition to the SCART, that would be one way of avoiding an SCART with two outputs.

SCART runs in two different (modes) or ways, in one way it outputs RGB and no S-Video/Composite. In the other (mode) or way it outputs S-Video/Composite but no RGB. It can't run in (both modes) or ways at the same time because the signal wires are reused differently in each mode. There will be an external switch on an very old VCR, or a menu option in the onscreen menu in a newer VCR that you have to change from the Remote Control.

SCART can not be used in both RGB and Composite modes at the same time, there are not enough wires in the connector, its one way or the other.

SCART started out as Composite out only a long long time ago. That was the original default use of the wires.

SCART got re-purposed to carry RGB signals much later, but there was no way to make it carry both Composite and RGB at the same time. But more people had televisions that accepted RGB, so they flipped the default to RGB. Getting a newer VCR to work in Composite mode is harder on the newer VCRs, because you have to know to find the switch, or menu option and turn it the other way. The picture will not be as crisp and sharp in Composite mode, RGB is better, but RGB video capture devices are also harder to find.
05-28-2020, 04:18 PM
Free Member

Hi There,

Sorry it's a Panasonic NV-HD680 and I'm not using the scart anymore, it's just red yellow and white to red, yellow and white cables (One end in the Easycap and the other end in the VCR). It's not in decoder it's just in front now.

I did also try it with a Toshiba SD-26VBSB (DVD and VCR), I DID sometimes get a signal/image on that one however it would only ever be the DVD screensaver, even when it was on VCR and the CHS tape was playing so it got very confusing and I thought it would be easier just using Red, white and Yellow cables
05-28-2020, 11:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Do not use this software. It is crap, low quality, lots of bugs and problem.
Use VirtualDub.

For that matter, the Easycap has a nickname "Easycrap" for a reason. Another terrible item. To be blunt, you're screwing yourself in terms of quality and frustration.

What you're experiecing is typical, expected. It's why guides and forum posts on this site all state to NOT buy that it, and NOT use that software. You've come to the right place to learn how to do better video conversion. But it must start with better hardware and software. What you have now will not work as you want. And FYI, your problems are just starting. Even after install, there will be more issues.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-29-2020, 03:23 AM
Free Member

Is there any Hardware that would be recommended?
It was meant to be for a birthday present today but it'll have to wait for now.
I did also try Virtual Dub, Golden Videos and Honestech. Virtualdub seemed the best but also couldn't pick up any signal which made me worry it was the hardware which is the issue.
05-29-2020, 06:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

Are you trying to run Windows in a VM?
Because that does not work.

For VirtualDub to see no hardware whatsoever is odd. It will often at least see it, but just not work, if hardware is faulty.

05-29-2020, 07:26 AM
Free Member

Nope, just on my normal laptop as a local admin user.
Sorry it DOES see the USB - USB 2681 Device (Direct show)
However it doesn't pick up any video or sound at all. the Green light on EasyCAP stays green but it's as though it can't get the connection through for some random reason
05-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Read the guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

It may be as simple as using Preview mode, not Overlay.

The usual issue with Easycap is the quality being terrible (blown highlights, oversaturated colors, unstable video, etc). Not "not working". But with an Easycap, anything is possible. These are Chinese, and literally cost $4 on Aliexpress or Wish. Complete POS cards.

05-29-2020, 08:07 AM
Free Member

I've tried it with both Overlay and Preview, the only main difference between out settings are the Video Compression,
I've only got like 5 or 6 : (No Recompression:YUY2) which is default
Intel IYUV codec
Intel IYUV codec
Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1.

I can save, like capture but it just shows as a black screen, not really sure how to add screen shots onto this either, do I have to upload them then post the URL link?

Tags
arcsoft showbiz, no video