05-24-2020, 05:08 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone you are my last hope.....

I have a Sumsung BD-F8500M HDD so I record stuff from TV to this hard drive. I am now down to 10% left on the drive and want to copy shows to DVD using iMovie to edit them. The only cable from the unit is a HDMI. I have an Apple 27" iMac. I have spoken to Sumsung and it comes down to sorry you can't move the files from this Combo so need to buy a new one to carry on recording, but I need to keep the files I have recorded so don't want to re format it. I have seen some hardware which I think might do what I want, could a HDMI cable with an adaptor to USB or phono connected to my computer be able to play (don't think it would copy files) to and capture to iMovie so I can edit and burn to DVD. I have a Formac Analogue to Digital unit so could play through that, (phono plugs) not sure if the digital files on my HDD Combo would record straight to my Mac/iMovie.

If you have a solution could you give me details of what adaptor and process I need to get/do to get me going.

Many thanks. Steve London England (Pal)

Last edited by Steve B; 05-24-2020 at 05:28 AM. Reason: location
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Free Member

Bump...

Okay put it this way, I have a hard disk recorder that records from tv I want to get the recorded programmes to my iMac for editing then burn to disk. Can I connect HDMI to USB C (Fire wire) to my iMac to load in to iMovie or other such programme? Thanks
06-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Free Member

From looking at Page 83 of the below manual (page entitled Copy), this device has a USB port. Copying should be straightforward:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/74...page=83#manual

Is this your manual? Also, USB C is not the same as Firewire.
The following users thank Winsordawson for this useful post: Steve B (06-03-2020)
06-03-2020, 03:40 PM
Free Member

Thanks for that, thought I had missed something but no.
The text does say copy from HDD to USB but it will only copy from the USB. It is the right model and manual. Talked to Samsung a while ago and they said buy a new one!! I will figure this out but will be trial and error and ££ for cables. Thanks for the reply.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture vvvv.JPG (50.3 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg Capturesss.jpg (46.4 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg Capturexx.jpg (45.8 KB, 4 downloads)
06-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Free Member

I haven't tried with your recorder model but with a sony hdr hxd 890. Basically i took the hdd out (main plug disconnected before), connected it to a Sata cable internally (not USB!) on my pc; then i used photorec (free & powerful software to recover lost files) i also tried with CnW Recovery (payware) which has more options than photorec (you can choose how much to scan 5%, 10% etc..)
more details:
* The hdd use a linux OS so it's not recognized by windows hence different tools may become handy:
- linuxreader (free) to know precisely what you're dealing with (nfts, ext2,ext 3 etc..)
- diskpart (free) (to select the partition and "activate" it)
- Ext2Fsd (free) (to assign a letter to your drive)
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: Steve B (06-04-2020)
06-03-2020, 07:28 PM
Free Member

You wrote that you have an F8 series player, which does support HDD to USB. Assuming there is no USB, and it is a different model, then you will probably have better luck with themaster1's suggestion.
06-04-2020, 02:30 AM
Free Member

Thanks, yes it is the right model but just does not give you the option to load to the USB....my other unit which I replaced I was able to copy to a DVD direct. So when buying a new one got to look out to how to save recorded files externally.
06-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Free Member

Update...

Well part success. Bought a HDMI to phono video/twin audio. passed it through my Formac Studio capture card into my IMac and into iMovie and it worked. the image was fine perfect but it dropped frames like if you were copying VHS with out a TBC, so almost a success. Maybe a Time Bace Corrector or signal booster may do the trick but 80% there. If anyone has got any more help please reply.
06-14-2020, 05:46 PM
Free Member

If you want to get the most out of your recorded files (assuming removing the HDD and hooking it to a USB base would not work due to copy protection on the files and don't have the knowledge to deal with it in Linux) then 3 things you should stay away from, RCA analog outputs, DVD, and iMovie.
Since HDMI is the best output you can work with get a HDMI/USB3 or HDMI/Thunderbolt capture device that ignores HDCP if not get an additional HDMI switch that ignores HDCP that can be placed after the capture card. Capture to H.264 on the fly using the capture device software and save the files for sharing or in flash memory for on the go need. If editing needed there are tons of H.264 frame accurate lossless editors for just cutting away commercials or selected scenes.

This is the least damaging option to your original digital files compared to what you are doing now which is HDMI to analog conversion then analog to digital again using an analogue capture device to iMovie (who knows what format captures to) to another MPEG-2 encode as DVD.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: Steve B (06-15-2020)