06-19-2020, 11:32 PM
Free Member

Hello all, I'm chugging through my VHS tapes. I have recently read about 16-235 blacks and whites and using the Histogram. Try as I might, it seems that my capture card (pic of details attached) doesn't have a proc amp. I must admit I still don't fully understand what a proc amp is but assume it's a "processing amplifier" for use during capture by adjusting the various options.

The problem I have is VDub reports "No level controls are available with this capture driver", so I can't use the Histogram to adjust the Brightness and the Contrast.

I have got the levels working (Proc amp available) with my VBG-100, but it comes and goes in VDub; sometimes it "disappears".

I can't find any newer drivers for my card.

My question is: is there something I've missed with Vdub and proc amps or is the (availability of the) proc amp solely the responsibility of the card's driver?

Or is there a third-party way of getting the proc amp functionality (basically it seems I need brightness and contrast)? I have read about Graphedit but my head started spinning.

I'm on the latest Windows 10.

Thanks, Al

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillips Card Details.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg Video Levels.jpg (14.9 KB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Free Member

Totally normal on windows 10(8,7). The only one that would work, assuming the drivers were well designed is XP.
proc amp are tipically: hue, saturation, contrast, luma.
You can do that with vdub filters though at the capture stage (levels filter, hue etc..) the thing is it may introduce a A/V desync.You'll have to try and see what happen
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: Hushpower (06-20-2020)
06-20-2020, 09:26 PM
Free Member

Thanks Master. I will try to set up a XP virtual machine thingee and give that a go.
06-23-2020, 07:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Thanks Master. I will try to set up a XP virtual machine thingee and give that a go.
You cannot capture video (from capture card hardware) in VMs. Direct hardware connections are required, not abstractions layers (ie VMs).

This is why dedicated capture systems are ideal, not using your general-use home computer. However, it's easy and cheap(ish) to build a dedicated system, as anything from the past decade is often fine. (For some of the best capture hardware, like ATI AIW AGP, you need specifics like XP and AGP slots.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs