Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-24-2020, 01:05 PM
Free Member

Reaching out to see if there are troubleshooting steps I can take, or if this is the best output I can expect.

I have captured some still images of an AVI capture from Virtual Dub to show the issue. The output appears to have some lines, and double/tripling of the image. This seems to most noticeable when there are fast moving objects and/or fast camera movement. I am using Virtual Dub 1.9.11, downloaded from the forums here.

Tape: TGrant Photo S-VHS Demo Tape
VHS: Panasonic AG-1980 (purchased as restored from TGrant)
TBC: TV One 1T-TBC
Capture Device: ATI TV Wonder 600 USB 2.0, using S-Video
Video: 720x480, Huffyuv 2.1.1

I've attached two images that are slow movement scenes, and do not seem to exhibit this issue. The other two are faster movement scenes where the issue is apparent.

Attached Images
File Type: png regular.png (479.1 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: png regular2.png (438.9 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: png artifacts.png (403.7 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: png artifacts2.png (429.2 KB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-24-2020, 01:43 PM
Free Member

Those are normal NTSC interlacing artifacts. It looks like the source is film so try the IVTC (inverse telecine) filter in VirtualDub. If it's video then use the deinterlace filter in VirtualDub with one of the "double frame rate" options selected (whichever one keeps the motion fluid as you step through the resulting video frame by frame), or better yet, use the QTGMC filter in Avisynth.
06-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
show the issue.

Tape: TGrant Photo S-VHS Demo Tape
VHS: Panasonic AG-1980 (purchased as restored from TGrant)
TBC: TV One 1T-TBC
Capture Device: ATI TV Wonder 600 USB 2.0, using S-Video
Video: 720x480, Huffyuv 2.1.1
No issues exist, that's just interlacing.

Good gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
Those are normal NTSC interlacing artifacts. It looks like the source is film so try the IVTC (inverse telecine) filter in VirtualDub. If it's video then use the deinterlace filter in VirtualDub with one of the "double frame rate" options selected (whichever one keeps the motion fluid as you step through the resulting video frame by frame), or better yet, use the QTGMC filter in Avisynth.
Why?

There is no reason to IVTC or deinterlace yet. Do not deinterlace without a specific reason for doing so!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-24-2020, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Why?

There is no reason to IVTC or deinterlace yet. Do not deinterlace without a specific reason for doing so!
Because IVTC restores the original progressive frame rate.

But you're right, "Capture, Record, Transfer" is the wrong forum for this discussion. I wasn't paying attention, so I'm sorry about that!
The following users thank traal for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-24-2020)