Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-25-2020, 08:23 PM
Free Member

New forum member here. I've spent the last week reading through a lot of the threads. A bit overwhelming but a great source of information and very helpful!

I have just refurbished and old XP Pro SP3 computer with an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 card in it that I plan to use to capture my old family VHS tapes in high quality for archiving. From there I plan to move them to a faster Win 10 PC with Premiere Pro for editing and rendering them out into some sort of format that my kids can use (haven't thought that part out yet).

I've loaded the VirtualDub 1.9 package along with the Huffyuv codec posted here into the XP pc. I did a quick test of capture from a Panasonic AG-7650 and a JVC HR-S7800 and it seemed to work well (no dropped frames and audio in sync). The only ATI software installed is the Catalyst Control Center (this is the way I got the PC). In VirtualDub the Capture Pin settings gave me two choices: UYVY or YUY2. Only the UYVY worked. I'm not sure if I have the complete drivers or utilities to make the most of this card.

I noticed in the "ATI All-In-Wonder hacks, drivers..." thread there is a complete software setup disk for this card however I've read about some folks having issues when installing drivers. My question is, should I install the complete package and possibly get updated drivers and additional features or should I just leave well enough alone and keep everything as is?

In my Device Manager I have the following:
Under "Sound, Video..."
- ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio
- ATI WDM Rage Theater Video NSP
- ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec
- ATI WDM Specialized PCD Codec
- ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar
- ATI WDM TV Tuner
(All the above ver 6.14.10.6300)

Under "Display Adapter"
- All-In-Wonder 9600 Dr ver 8.231.0.0
Someday, 12:01 PM