digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Converting Hi8 to MP4 with VLC? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10765-converting-hi8-mp4.html)

Bigyin 06-29-2020 10:38 AM

Converting Hi8 to MP4 with VLC?

I converted 18 tapes a while ago successfully. I found a 19th and am having problems. The setup is as follows:- Sony Hi8 camcorder to Kworld USB2 converter to Win 7 PC VLC Media Player. Connections IN to Kworld:- Svideo, Red/ White audio.
Connections OUT of Kworld:- USB to PC.
I've set up “Convert/Save” in VLC with the settings I can remember and select the input as WDM 2860 Capture as the Video Device name.
When I start the tape running, I get no on screen preview. I've checked the camcorder by connecting it via “Composite” cables to my TV so I know the camcorder is outputting ok.
A named output (MP4) file is created but it's empty.
I've also tried with Openshot and Bandicam but still no preview.
I suspect either the settings in VLC are wrong or there's a problem with the USB link although it works fine with other functions.
I know it's a big ask but any help would be much appreciated.

lordsmurf 06-29-2020 11:28 AM

That can't look good.

Kworld USB has tiny chance to be ATI 600 USB clone, but I've never seen one. Like Elgato and others, zero model, just brand name, mostly bad cards. Kworld makes nothing, pure rebadger, so unknown what's there. Make be cheap low-quality "grabber" or Easycap/EZcap (aka Easycrap).

Capturing to MP4? In VLC? Yikes. What a mess.

VirtualDub, VirtualDub, VirtualDub -- and v1.9.x, not 1.10.x or the "2' fork.
Lossless codec, preferably Huffyuv (less likely to drop frames).

Capturing video is about quality hardware first, and quality ingest/capture software second. You lack both. That camera is (probably, maybe?) fine -- but no TBC, likely crappy capture card, and definitely wrong capture software. VLC is a player, the end, the capture tools are rudimentary.

The fix, right away, is the correct software for capturing. That's 1st thing to change.
2nd is maybe a better capture card.
3rd is likely a TBC, or at very minimum and minimalist TBC(ish) setup.

Bigyin 06-29-2020 11:51 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.
What is TBC ?
I'll have a look at VirtualDub.
Thing is, this setup worked fine a couple of months ago.

Thanks again.

latreche34 06-29-2020 12:25 PM

TBC is time base corrector, It corrects timing for video scan lines this is inside the camcorder if equipped and corrects frame timing this is usually a stand alone box used as a pass through in the workflow.
"Worked fine" is a loose term, it depends what you are looking for it may "look yikes" to another person who knows what to look for.

lordsmurf 06-29-2020 01:03 PM

Attach a sample clip of a past capture.

Bigyin 06-29-2020 02:02 PM

TBC. I'm familiar with the term.
"Works fine" Satisfactory for my requitrements. I'm 77 years old and want to preserve my amateur movies from the 90's in a form that doesn't require hooking up a camera in order to view or share.
The smallest clip I have is 155Mb. Is that too big ? If so I'll have to edit something down.
Thanks again by the way.

Bigyin 06-30-2020 08:30 AM

Update:-
I didn't know if I needed the "audio out" of the Kworld connected to the "line in" of my PC. I'd (probably wrongly) assumed the audio was carried vis the USB connection. I now get audio from the tape but still no video. I've tried two different USB ports on the PC.
Virtualdub:- I downlaoded and installed Ver: 1.9 When I tried to run it, twice, I got the "Blue screen of death" so I've uninstalled it.

Bigyin 07-24-2020 09:13 AM

Update:- I have replaced the Kworld converter with another Chinese job. It has no separate audio out lead so that addresses my previous point about whether I needed to have it connected. I'm still having problems with the new one. An output file is created but although "Properties" says it has content, there is no video or audio in the output file when played back with VLC. Either the replacement converter is duff or I'm not using the right settings in VLC. I've found instructions on the web but they refer to Linux (I'm Win 7). It would be really helpful if someone was prepared to take me through the setup steps in detail.

latreche34 07-24-2020 09:55 AM

It's hard to guide someone without knowing what's going on in their computer, Post screen shots of your setup screens, what's displayed on there, Is your device listed there? Is the right connection selected (Composite vs S-Video), Is the right standard selected (PAL vs NTSC) ... etc.

Bigyin 07-24-2020 10:29 AM

Thank you very much. I'll prepare some information and send it soon.

Bigyin 07-24-2020 11:01 AM

Connections Sony Hi8 camcorder to Converter (EasyCA, generic chines badged) to PC.
Intel Core i5, 3.1 Ghz,
RAM 8Gb
Win 7 64 Bit

Audio L/R (red & white) S-Video to Converter. USB converter to PC.

VLC 3.0.11 Vetinari

Setup:-
Media/Convert-Save
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PHt...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1chw...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CrN...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f_D...ew?usp=sharing
At this point, start the tape running and click on "Save".
Hope the links work.

latreche34 07-24-2020 12:22 PM

Can't access your files, they are not public, use forum picture upload feature.

Bigyin 07-24-2020 01:11 PM

I think I've now uploaded them.

Bigyin 07-24-2020 03:02 PM

I've tried sharing them with you.

latreche34 07-24-2020 05:06 PM

Requires google sign on, I don't use google sorry.

latreche34 07-24-2020 09:24 PM

I got the links sent to my e-mail but those pictures show only conversion settings, Where is the capture card settings, that's where your problem is, conversion comes after you have a working video from the capture card.

Bigyin 07-25-2020 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for your continued patience.
The first pic I sent (VLC 1) shows the selecting the capture device.
Having done that, the only option is to select one of the items from the "Play" drop down.
I don't know what "Enqueue" means. If I select either "Play" or "Stream" nothing appears on the screen when I start the tape playing. If I select "Convert", an MP4 file is created which doesn't display video or audio on playback.
I hope you can see the screen shot VLC 5 this time.

latreche34 07-25-2020 08:30 AM

What's in Advanced options?
Anyway the way I look at it VLC doesn't seem to have the option to select S-Video, so you have a driver problem, Look for "Crossbar thingy" in this forum.

Bigyin 07-25-2020 10:48 AM

I looked up Crossbar thingy and most of the posts refer to the Pinnacle kit abd Vdub. My capture card isn't a Pinnacle (Dazzle ?). I've also tried Vdub at your suggestion and abandoned it as it crashed my PC. I might try it again though.
I've attached two screenies of "Advanced Options".
When it was working previously, I only selected 25fps and PAL-D
The S-Video out of the camera in connected to the S-Video of the capture card. The only input to the PC is USB.

latreche34 07-25-2020 03:33 PM

Crossbar thingy has nothing to do with Pinnacle, You should try it before you judge it.