07-20-2007, 01:18 AM
Free Member

I know this has been discussed here at least a few times, so I apologize for bringing it up again, but I can't seen to find what I'm looking for.

What do I buy if I want to copy a copy-protected vhs tape to dvd? What's it called? And does anyone have any suggestions for exactly which exact one (brand, etc.) I should get? (I really want to know what's my best bet, where to get it, brand and model #, etc.) The big problem is that I'm in a hurry as I have to give up these particular tapes real soon and I might not be able to get my hands on them again --- so I need something right away. (I have less than 3 weeks.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Steve

Steve
http://www.heehawnut.com
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Device: timebase corrector (TBC)
Brand/model: AVT-8710
Cost: $200
Where to buyL www.bhphotovideoc.om

A TBC is the only way to 100% foolproof remove copy protection. Copy protection is an artificial error injected into a video stream. A TBC was created to remove video errors, and it kills both actual and artificial ones.

Some of those "copy remover" devices work to varying degrees, often costing $50-100 or more, and only work part of the time. I have three of those, asking $20 each, if you want one. I will not guarantee it will remove all protection on all tapes. Anybody that does make such a guarantee with a non-TBC device is either lying or they're a moron. Some capture cards and DVD recorders natively ignore such protections, or can be hacked to do so.

I have a Datavideo TBC-1000, too, which is better than the AVT-8710, but at $100 more cost, and mine has started to deteriorate after 6-7 years of use. It happened after I moved, so it may have been damaged.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Free Member

off the top of my head you need a TBC - time based corrector.
these vary in quality & cost - say $40 to thousands of dollars!

someone like LS or marcus might be able to suggest a make/model suited to your needs.
07-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

A TBC is the only way to 100% foolproof remove copy protection. Copy protection is an artificial error injected into a video stream. A TBC was created to remove video errors, and it kills both actual and artificial ones.
LS, are you saying that the TBC you've recommended here is going to be absolutely 100% foolproof and work on any/every vhs tape we try it on? Also, is this place you've linked to a place you're very familiar with and would highly recommend buying this from them? (I just want to be sure I understand correctly because that's an awful lot of money to be taking chances on.) Thanks for your help.

Steve
07-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by heehawnut

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

LS, are you saying that the TBC you've recommended here is going to be absolutely 100% foolproof and work on any/every vhs tape we try it on? Also, is this place you've linked to a place you're very familiar with and would highly recommend buying this from them? (I just want to be sure I understand correctly because that's an awful lot of money to be taking chances on.) Thanks for your help.
I have the same TBC and yes it works perfect everytime. I love mine it has help do wonders on some older tapes.

Yes the store he linked is very reliable and they have some of the best selections of equipment.

here is the direct link: http://tinyurl.com/ysdzbj
07-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Free Member

I have the AVT8710 and prefer it over the Datavideo TBC due to the color correction it gives me (for tapes that might need just a hint of correcting and not the full blown bvp treatment)

I too bought mine from bhphoto for $175, but it has never failed to allow a tape to be copied in my extensive library of personal as well as project tapes
07-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I've been buying pro camera and video equipment from B&H for 10 years now. At least half of my stuff comes from there, because it's good prices on official USA warrantied products.

The only time I had a TBC not remove copy protection was when the tape had other flaws. I usually just got another copy of the VHS release, and it was fine. I own both an AVT-8710 and a TBC-1000.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Free Member

hi, you might want to try one of the units that LS has for $20.00. i got a similar unit to LSs off ebay and it has only failed to copy 1 vhs tape and 2 dvds. the vhs tape i couldn't get to copy was a very recent released tape. if the tapes are older tapes, then you probably can override the protection with one of the units that LS has. not trying to make a sale for LS, but just wanted to say that i may be worth spending the $20.00 instead of $200.00 or so. also, you may want to look on ebay for one of the more expensive units. you may find a good one cheaper than the retail site. thanks stoogedog
07-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Free Member

Thanks everyone for the great information. I've ordered the AVT-8710 from bhphotovideo.com. I'll let you know what I think and I'll hit you up again if I have any problems. Thanks again.

Steve