07-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Free Member

I have encountered this once before and eveidently it is doing it again. For some reason on CAV laserdiscs and when each frame of the disc is a photo or text, if I hit the play button so it zips right through them and record it to disc, upon playback of the dvd I notice it will skip frames here and there. Has this happened to anyone else?

My current setup is the pioneer laserdisc player cld-D701 (with built in tbc)

this runs through a panny deck for it's sync filters and fake tbc setting

and then into jvc drm100 for recording.

Even before I had this LD player and jvc machine I would still have the same problem of certain frames being skipped.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Free Member

I have never experienced that problem, my pioneer ld player is REALLY old so that might be why.

I think there are 2 other CPS members who own laserdisc players, maybe they have some insight.

07-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Free Member

I have two pioneer ld players. The one mentioned above and an older lesser model-cld503

This issue has occured with both decks. Next I broke it down to what was common in both transfers. This points to the panny deck. Perhaps it's filter is causing a frame not to be seen?

My next set of testing inlcude doing the same without running it through the panny deck as well as doing a straight vhs transfer and see if the problem still persist. If so then yes it points to the LD players. Keep you posted
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Free Member

yeah let us know, I usually run my Pioneer LD through the AVT-8710 because its a TBC that handles a minimal amt of color/contrast/brightness/sharpness correction that the LD's need (when not wanting to be super restored).

LS uses a Panasonic DVD recorder as a TBC/Filter (dont remember which model) but I would not be surprised if that was the culprit.

The VHS transfer would be good to do I think, that would probably be most telling.
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The model is DMR-ES10. The sync filter is not perfect, I've seen this too, once or twice. Not very often. It's the source causing some issues, and the machine making it worse.

Try composite output, not s-video, from the LD player. LD's were composite.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Free Member

Will try all suggestions. This particular disc are the Murder anyone?/all roads lead to murder laserdisc games. I might go insane and actuall try to re-do the game on dvd (which can be done). For the most part I am just trying to preserve the entire disc and the frame skip is throwing one hell of a Monkey wrench into the plans.--Keep you posted
07-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Free Member

Problem solved! The first test I did solved the issue. The problem was the panasonic deck as a pass through device. I kept the svhs hookup and just ran the laserdisc player straight into the jvc deck. I recorded a spot where I was encountering skipped frames. I checked the clip using womble's mpeg2vcr and sure enough all frames were present. I will still use the panny as a pass through for normal movie recording, but if I do anything with text or pics from a laserdisc, I have to cut it out of the picture
07-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The Panasonic should only be used when necessary, not for all recordings. It has some issues with posterization and ghosting. The filter is good when needed, but not when not.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs