06-23-2020, 01:10 PM
Free Member

I have downloaded VirtualDub along with huffYUV. Both seem to have installed correctly. My question is now that I have VirtualDub up and running, how do I check to make sure that it's using huffYUV? I don't see it listed when I choose Video>Compression. Is that how one checks?

Since I am just getting started with VirtualDub, this will probably be the first of many questions regarding using the software for transferring VHS tapes. I've already taken the advice from this forum to make sure I'm using a high-quality workflow. Just want to make sure I'm learning this unfamiliar software correctly.

Thanks for any input!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-24-2020, 11:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Downloaded VirtualDub from where?
My VirtualDub 1.9.x version from here (with filters) has no install, just unzip in a folder (I use C:\Portables) and just launch it.

If Huffyuv is not listed, it is not installed.
What OS?
How did you install Huffyuv?
There are guides in the forum for install in post-XP WinOS.
It even actually installs decently in Wine, last I knew.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-24-2020, 12:28 PM
Free Member

Thanks lordsmurf.

I downloaded VirtualDub from here. Your link. I realize there's no installation. I just unzipped and launched.

I am unfortunately only able to use a Win10 OS right now. That might change soon, but it's all that's available to me now.

With huffyuv, I simply right-clinked on the inf file and chose install. Didn't get an error message so I thought it was installed. I'll look for a guide to help install it correctly.

I tried capturing some VHS video on VirtualDub, but I couldn't get a decent picture. Just red and blue lines on a dark background. Apparently my hardware/software isn't playing nice together. Any advice there?

bwt, my workflow is Panasonic AG-1980>S-Video>DataVideo TBC-1000>S-Video to a Pinnacle USB-710.
That's where the money has gone so far (along with a couple JVC VCRs). A dedicated computer is next on the list.

One more question: Are avi files all created equally? If I'm just archiving a decent home video on VHS with no intention of any editing or correcting, does it matter what software is used to capture? Will the VirtualDub avi file be any different from some cheap all-in-one software package? I'm just curious about why one program might be any better than another. Thanks.
06-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Right-click doesn't work.
Follow the WinVista/7/8 procedure on the forum: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627

Using Preview mode, not Overlay?

Money well spent, excellent gear!

AVI is just a wrapper. It's like saying "car". You have low-end like Kia, better like Dodge, all the way to fancy like Aston Martin. AVI can be lousy Divx file, quality MPEG (yes, MPEG in AVI wrapper!), or lossless.

VirtualDub files will be far better than AIO or compressed format. If you want to compress post-capture, with quality, then do so. But carefully, done well, done right. After all, quality is why you got the good hardware.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your help, lordsmurf.

I got everything working correctly and have captured a couple test videos. Everything looks good. I will next start playing with using some filters so I'm sure the questions will continue. Just glad to be getting started on the road to high quality transfers.
06-27-2020, 10:39 AM
Free Member

I have now captured 4 VHS tapes and am quite pleased with the results. I have noticed a couple things that I hope you can clarify for me.
1) It seems I can't start capturing unless a tape is already playing. When I cue the tape and choose Capture Video, I get an error message (Unable to capture video) but if I start the tape first, then choose Capture Video, it works fine. Is there a way to get around that?
2) In these 4 tapes I haven't had any dropped frames yet. I did notice that on the 1st tape there were frames inserted. Only 3 in about 50 minutes of tape but I'm not sure what that means.
3) What is the preferred method of trimming the noise from the beginnings and endings of the video? I've read of a couple ways to do this but want to make sure that the video maintains the quality of the original. As I understand it, after trimming you have to save the file under a new name but I want to make sure the 2nd file is the same as the original, just trimmed a little.

You might have noticed I started a new thread regarding my DataVideo TBC-1000. It wants to get darker at times right in the middle of capturing. Even to the point of going black. So I've bypassed it when capturing these tapes, but am concerned about keeping the audio/video in sync. Any ideas about that?

Thanks!
07-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Free Member

I have now discovered that the AVI files captured by VirtualDub won't load or play on my Win10 computer. The message I'm getting is "The item was encoded in a format that's not supported". Is this a quirk with the Win10 movie player? What can I do to make the video viewable outside of VirtualDub? Thanks.
07-03-2020, 09:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowZero View Post
I have now discovered that the AVI files captured by VirtualDub won't load or play on my Win10 computer. The message I'm getting is "The item was encoded in a format that's not supported". Is this a quirk with the Win10 movie player? What can I do to make the video viewable outside of VirtualDub? Thanks.
How are you trying to play these clips? With what application? I would try VLC and/or Windows Media Player. When I searched for your Pinnacle product I got this page, which indicates that the only export format is H.264, which is not the best capture format for VHS.

https://www.amazon.com/Dazzle-DVD-Re.../dp/B00EAS14KI

Look here for instructions on how to trim a video clip once capture in VirtualDub:
https://www.weethet.nl/english/video_cutavis.php
07-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Free Member

I was able to use VLC and Windows Media Player to view the videos. Thanks.

My capture device is the Pinnacle 710-USB, not the Dazzle. It is on the recommended list and works great.

Thanks for the link to trimming videos. It's next on the list for learning how to use VirtualDub.