06-28-2020, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Hello All,

While the earlier Hi8/Digital8 cameras have left/right RCA outs, the later cameras have A/V mini-plugs plus the S-Video out for capturing Hi8 A/V. To capture sound from these one can use mini-plug to RCA cables provided with the cameras (leaving the RCA video connector unused).

With the older cameras one can hook up higher quality audio cables DIRECTLY to the RCA outs.

As a compromise on the later cameras, one can use a very short mini-plug pigtail and then use better cables for the rest of the journey to the AIW cable for capture. But is it helping at all when one is starting out with the pretty basic mini-plug to RCA pigtail and then adding yet another connection? Better to just use the longer Sony cable? Higher quality versions of those three way cables do not seem to exist.

Regards
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Free Member

Just get a well shielded 3.5mm to double RCA cable preferably as short as possible by making the camcorder as close to the computer as possible, You will not hear any difference unless you are using a 60 ft cable. As a matter fact you will be far better with less connections when using a single cable vs two cables or one adapter and one cable.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: colony (06-28-2020)
06-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. I take your point concerning less connections and there are more (better) options out there for stereo or dual channel mini-plug to RCA. But to my knowledge no 2-way mini-plug works in a three way mini-plug socket. I would like to be wrong. Further complicating the 3-way (+ ground) mini-plug world, all the major companies have their own configuration as to which "ring" on the mini-plug is assigned to which RCA plug. For example, most of the three way cables for sale out there are not directly compatible with Sony products. You end up having to use the "Video RCA" plug as the Right Audio, etc. See attached.

https://pinoutguide.com/Audio-Video-...k_pinout.shtml
06-28-2020, 04:19 PM
Free Member

I though they kept the regular audio jack compatibility, I could be wrong, But I guess the only way to find out for sure is to plug in a headphone set and playback a stereo tape and see what you can hear compared to the headphone output if equipped if not just listen for any static or out of phase audio or one muted channel.

What's wrong with the original camcorder cable? A cable like this should be just fine, don't get sucked in by those fanatic Hi-Fi claims about cables, Yes there are audio cables better than others but not to the extent of buying a $3000 one.
06-28-2020, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Yes, well do I have the original cable. It is only mass market quality with little or no shielding but it may well be the only answer.
06-28-2020, 04:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I though they kept the regular audio jack compatibility, I could be wrong,
Not necessarily. You must pay attention to the mini rings.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-28-2020, 06:02 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colony View Post
Yes, well do I have the original cable. It is only mass market quality with little or no shielding but it may well be the only answer.
A genuine Sony cable is the best that you'll ever get, even those beefy so called audiophile grade are not all good, you don't know how they make them or who's making them, stick with a brand name to be safe.
06-29-2020, 07:01 AM
Free Member

There are short (about 6") 3-circuit 3.5mm mini phone connectors available. They have the usual red, white, and yellow RCA jacks for connection to what ever cables you like. (You can also buy versions with RCA plugs and various lengths.)

This is all consumer market stuff. Keep cable runs short as you can. Keep connctors clean and corrosion free. Minimize the number of connectors in the chair. Avoid configurations that could induce ground loops.

The link below is to one of many available options.
https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-Stere.../dp/B07C6D19NZ
07-06-2020, 07:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You need to be careful with plugs. Pay attention to the stripes and colors.
See attached.
Left is from CCD-TRV138 Hi8 camera (mono cable), right is from DCR-TRV320 Digital8 (stereo).

... and both cameras sound the same.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi8 vs D8 mini.jpg (93.8 KB, 14 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Thank you all. I'm looking to use an existing market 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable audio, removing the TRS plug and replacing with a TRRS 4 pole; only using tip, 1 ring and sleeve areas of the new plug to conform to the unique Sony pinout . It won't be high end but a short run with better wire and shielding.
07-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
CCD-TRV138 Hi8 camera
This model was crippled in that it only output mono audio, perhaps a bit limiting for a Hi8 camcorder, but then when it came out Sony wanted people to switch to MiniDV or D8. One has to read the manuals carefully.

Tags
mini-plug audio, rca audio, sony mini-plug