Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-04-2021, 06:19 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

I would like to improve my capturing setup, I have already captured all my VHS tapes as a backup using hardware I had laying around. I know that setup wasn't ideal but I just wanted to make sure my family tapes are not lost forever. Now I'm doing some research to improve where I can.

My previous setup:

Fully restored Panasonic NV-FS200 VCR with build in TBC > Elgato Game Capture HD via S-Video > OBS video capture software in uncompressed format.

The current quality is decent enough for me to enjoy my memories again, but now I would like to preserve them as best as I can. The tapes are in great condition so I want to preserve them while I still can.

I figured I should capture the VHS tapes lossless with either Huffyuv or Lagarith in software like Virtualdub. Unfortunately my Elgato Game Capture HD isn't supported since it doesn't show up in the devices list.

I would like to ask for your advice on what additional hardware I should buy to improve my setup. What is needed at a minimum and what other gear is greatly recommended.

My goal: preserve about 20 family VHS tapes in the best possible quality so future generations can still enjoy them. The tapes are all PAL since I'm based in Europe and I don't care about size, I have a 4 TB HDD to put them on. I will put them on 100gb Bluray M-disks too in case the HDD fails.

Would VCR with build in TBC > Virtualdub supported capture card > Virtualdub Lagarith lossless be a good setup for tapes that are still in great condition?

My PC specifications that matter are: Intel i7 6700k, Nvidia 980TI, 32 GB ram. I'm using W10 but I could install W7 on it if required. Not sure if I can find XP drivers for my GPU.

I am currently looking at something like a Hauppauge USB live2, it's a lot smaller/cheaper than my Elgato Game Capture HD but atleast it's supposed to be working in Virtualdub. I couldn't find an ATI 600 usb anywhere in Europe (if you have one for sale and ship to Europe feel free to contact me).

Is just changing my capture card and recording in Virtualdub Lossless format going to improve the quality at all? Or should I stick to my uncompressed recordings from OBS?

Last edited by walt; 07-04-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-04-2021, 06:52 AM
Free Member

Code:
I am currently looking at a Hauppauge USB live2
If you have a high end S-VHS with line TBC and S-Video output, and your tapes are in good conditions you'll get excellent results with the Hauppauge USB live2.

Here a comparison on my side between a s-vhs raw capture with that card and a dvb-s stream of the same program, used as reference. Judge yourself ;-)

compare_ufo_sIII11a_amtv_ufo18vi_2_frame23143.jpg

Attached a small video quickly compressed to x264

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Last edited by lollo2; 07-04-2021 at 07:43 AM.
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: walt (07-04-2021)
07-04-2021, 07:34 AM
Free Member

From what I could find the Elgato game capture HD will always output compressed video? (as opposed to some later hdmi-only elgato game capture thingies) In that case a different capture card could give better quality yeah.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: walt (07-04-2021)
07-08-2021, 03:24 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post

If you have a high end S-VHS with line TBC and S-Video output, and your tapes are in good conditions you'll get excellent results with the Hauppauge USB live2.

Here a comparison on my side between a s-vhs raw capture with that card and a dvb-s stream of the same program, used as reference. Judge yourself ;-)
Would you mind sharing the audio settings you've used with the Hauppauge and virtualdub? I just got it, video quality looks good but the audio is out of sync.

I use these settings currently. I didn't see any dropped frames, but it did insert 19 frames for some reason.

audio_settings_hauppauge.PNG

07-08-2021, 05:44 PM
Free Member

I was never able to have a sync capture using VirtualDub with my Hauppauge USB-Live 2 under Windows 10.

I use AmarecTV 310 (rarely also a custom capture graph I made with GraphStudioNext). If the tape is in good condition with a proper setup you should have 0 inserted frames and 0 dropped frames.

If you need the settings for AmarecTV look here, or ask ;-) https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...-fps-and/page2

Last edited by lollo2; 07-08-2021 at 05:54 PM.
07-13-2021, 04:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The Hauppauge card simply is not recommended by most, various issues. Very similar to the VC500, and those (to my recollection) are also closely related internals.

Win10 is a problem, especially Nvidia based systems, but a few cards tend to be more resilient to the capture-killer updates. No card is 100% bulletproof to Win10. But certain Pinnacles are currently best for PAL.

Yes, this workflow is good:
- quality S-VHS VCR with line TBC (or ES10/15 without)
> frame TBC
> good capture card
> VirtualDub lossless

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-13-2021, 06:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
No card is 100% bulletproof to Win10
I can tell you that the IOData GV-USB2 and the Startech USB3HDCAP are bulletproof with Win 10 and VDub. They have never failed me and worked "straight out of the box".

Caveat: the USB3HDCAP has special requirements WRT the USB 3 system.
07-13-2021, 07:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
I can tell you that the IOData GV-USB2 and the Startech USB3HDCAP are bulletproof with Win 10 and VDub. They have never failed me and worked "straight out of the box".
For you. Probably not everybody.

And for now. That may change in your future.

Win10 is far too variable to make that assertion, and will continue to be variable for as long as twice-annual updates make drastic OS changes.

I remember when Win10 was new, and lots of cards worked. Now those do not.

And BTW, I did acquire the GV-USB2, to test with multiple OS, just not here yet.

07-13-2021, 07:45 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
And BTW, I did acquire the GV-USB2, to test with multiple OS, just not here yet.
Good stuff, I'll be interested to hear what your impressions are. Brush up on your Japanese!
07-13-2021, 08:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Brush up on your Japanese!
You laugh, but I was actually studying Japanese prior to my life-changing health issues. I got ripped away from from it, and never started back.

I've since forgotten most of what I had learned.

Perhaps this is the catalyst I need?

07-13-2021, 08:36 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS
I've since forgotten most of what I had learned.
Likewise; I did 5 years of it at secondary school and got 29% in my leaving exam, now down to Hai, Konichiwa and Ohayo Gozaimasu and that's it!

Here you go:

https://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/

Sayonara!
07-20-2021, 02:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The Hauppauge card simply is not recommended by most, various issues. Very similar to the VC500, and those (to my recollection) are also closely related internals.
I thought that card was decent since it was listed in one of your older posts. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3200-best-ati-wonder.html
07-20-2021, 02:48 PM
Free Member

Update:

I did get it working eventually and have now captured all my tapes in great quality. The difference in quality is definitely noticable. Colors are a bit more natural, grayish, but that can be edited of course.

Settings that fixed my audio sync issues:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture-timing.JPG (51.5 KB, 32 downloads)
The following users thank walt for this useful post: lollo2 (07-20-2021)

Tags
advice, capture card, suggestion, workflow