07-12-2020, 08:39 AM
Free Member

This image was much more blurrier than I realised, but hopefully it's sufficient.

IMG-20200711-203343.jpg

Some nice red circles to highlight some of it:

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Has anyone come across this before? I'm considering putting these tapes in my machines and just doing a lot of fast forward/rewinds to try and clear it.

EDIT: Gah, I forgot this website does this with images. Does anyone know why? How am I supposed to link images...

Here's the direct links:
https://i.ibb.co/sVsFN1Z/IMG-20200711-203343.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/M8hxTbD/image.png

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

The advice on this website worked for me. Definitely take all safety precautions (wear a ventilator/mask, complete the steps in a well ventilated area, outside if possible)

http://www.lunchmeatvhs.com/blog/res...d-chip-parton/

I bought a $5 VHS player at Goodwill to complete the recovery process above - I definitely recommend against running moldy tapes through any good VHS deck you want to use in the future...it won’t end well.

For what it’s worth, I cleaned tapes with far heavier mold than the tape visible in your photos, and the tape played back almost perfectly, so the method above should work for you. Aside from the $5 cleaning deck, I have one VHS deck dedicated exclusively to playing recovered moldy tapes, just on the off chance a few spores remain.
07-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Free Member

That's a great link, thank you!
07-20-2020, 12:37 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Attached all images directly to forum posts, don't link from elsewhere.

Never put moldy tapes into VCRs. You'll ruin it for all future tapes, and infect all other tapes you own.

FF/REW can work, but then you have spores all in the deck, in your home, on you, etc. NOT GOOD! There have been many posts in recent years about UV(B) lights, look into it. Search for those.

Care in cleaning must also be taken.

I can suffer anaphylactic shock from spores from certain locales. So be careful!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: bakerie (08-25-2020)