Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-12-2020, 12:25 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone,

I am still a new person here.

I have been trying a few capture possibilities, but I am a visually impaired person, so therefore I don't have so much energy to sit behind the pc and notice all the perfect details. Actually I just want to store my VHS home videos in a digital format in the best possible quality I can obtain in budget.

I have the following equipment.

1) Grundig S-VHS VCR
2) Sony RDR-HX750 DVD recorder

I use the Sony RDR-HX750 in between for avoiding the dropped frames.

First I had my setup like this:

Grundig VCR -> RDR-HX750 -> Sony DCR-HC42 minidv camcorder as passthrough -> firewire to PC. And i captured the lossless DV with WinDV.
This seemed to me the best way.

Unfortunately the miniDV HC42 camcorder's firewire port and LCD / touchscreen gave up on me.

Second setup was
Grundig VCR -> RDR-HX750 -> Elgato analog video capture -> Virtualdub2 lossless capture on pc.
But I wasn't satisfied of the audio results, so I returned the Elgato.

I've been into this since 2 months, and I am getting tired. As mentioned earlier I am a eye patient and have not so much energy balance to sit for hours behind the pc and notice every detail.

Therefore, it is my humble request, if anyone can recommend me a good USB capture device or another alternative to transfer my VHS to lossless AVI.

Why lossless AVI? Because I have been watching some Youtube videos that QTGMC is a good deinterlacer if I want to convert it to h.264 mp4 files.

Final purpose would be to store it in mp4 files for viewing purposes on TV and share it with family members over Google Drive.

I was thinking about the following capture devices:

1) Diamond VC500 (will have to order it from Amazon USA, as I live in The Netherlands)
2) Hauppauge USB Live 2
3) Avermedia Ezmaker 7 USB

Any thoughts?

Thanking in advance,
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Free Member

You don't need the LCD screen, Use ScenelizerLive to capture DV it will show you the video in the preview window. Just to be clear DV is not lossless as you worded it, It is a compressed DV codec and in most cases it's worse than the ancient MPEG-2.
07-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
The key is to use quality gear. Then you don't need to look for errors, but can rest somewhat assured that the errors have been taken care of.

What sort of visual impairments, exactly?
I have experience with several types, and may be able to give some detailed suggestions.

I don't suggest VC500, especially not for PAL.
Not a fan of Avermedia, ever (20+ years, most of it just junk).
That exact Hauppauge can be fine.
But there are other cards. ATI 600 USB, certain clones and Pinnacles, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-12-2020, 04:48 PM
Free Member

I am suffering from a eye disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa.
Symptoms are tunnel vision, mild color blindness and severe difficulty in adapting when switching between dark/light environments.

Actually my budget at the moment is very limited.

I've spent most of it in finding a good VCR and the Sony DCR-HC42E which has given up on me. The LCD wasn't much of a problem, but the firewire port of the docking station doesn't work anymore. Neither works the touchscreen, so that I can enable the A/V passthrough function in the menu.

However the Sony RDR-HX750 I am using in between does a pretty good job in avoiding dropped frames and keeping the frames in sync.

I cannot find the ATI 600 USB anywhere.

So should I go on with the USB Live 2?

Which pinnacles specifically?
07-15-2020, 11:50 AM
Free Member

What audio issue were you having? If the image quality was ok, it's possible to have virtualdub use an audio card to capture the sound instead of the capture device.

Alternatively, what you can do with the Sony is to use a capture card with HDMI input + HDMI splitter that evades HDCP and capture the digital output from it directly. It's an approach I use with this exact DVR.
07-19-2020, 11:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Interesting about Sony RDR-HX750, I'd like to see one sometime, confirm for myself.
Can you take with/without samples?

"severe difficulty in adapting when switching between dark/light environments" = a type of photophobia (a term I hate, I'm not scared of cameras). I have this, due to MS. Difficulty adapting, to a point (then cannot adapt whatsoever, too bright, aka direct sunlight).

I don't know that any video hardware can overcome the visual impairments. You just need to use good gear, and then it can exist more on autopilot than not.

From the gear listed, Hauppauge USB Live 2 best bet. (Better bet some of the ATI 600s I have in marketplace, but I hate coming off as used car salesman. But wanted to mention it.)

07-20-2020, 07:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Interesting about Sony RDR-HX750, I'd like to see one sometime, confirm for myself.
You mean HDMI vs analog output from it? I can try to make some samples in a new thread, been meaning to make some comparisons anyway.
07-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I am now experimenting with Hauppauge USB Live 2.
I am trying to attach two .avi files (10 second duration). But the upload function isn't working.
Anyone who can help me with it?

Captured with AmarecTV in Lagarith lossless codec.

One version is a capture directly from a Grundig S-VHS VCR and second is a capture with Sony RDR-HX750 in between.

Both versions do have overscan and I have no problem with it. Although when I capture with Sony RDR-HX750 in between, I see there is a extra black border added on the right side of the video.

Why does this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Alternatively, what you can do with the Sony is to use a capture card with HDMI input + HDMI splitter that evades HDCP and capture the digital output from it directly. It's an approach I use with this exact DVR.
I did try this method exactly as you described it.

A week ago I bought a Techole HDMI splitter and it did strip off the HDCP. In addition I used Avermedia EZRecorder 130 capture box to capture the HDMI signal. But it didn't work out well. So I returned it.

Now I am experimenting with Hauppauge USB Live 2.

What HDMI capture device are you using? Are you capturing directly to PC in lossless AVI or in ready made mp4 file?

What were your HDMI settings in the menu of RDR-HX750?
07-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Free Member

I've used it with a blackmagic intensity shuttle (though I'm not a fan of it). It's set to output resolution 576i, and YUV 4:4:4 (4:2:2 isn't available for this resolution for whatever reason, but using YUV 4:2:2 in the capture program works fine.) You have to first set the settings using something else than the capture device used since I think it is set to something else by default.
Capturing to lossless. Seems to sometimes be a bit clunky to get going the first time it's hooked up to a new computer, may have to hook it up to a TV or something first, not sure why, but after that it works without issues.
07-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Your files are too big, your internet connection is too slow. Usual issues.

Amarec is junk. I'd quit capturing video before I'd use it. I don't think I can be any more blunt than that. If you have problems while using it for capture, you're on your own, I don't know or care.

When people start to go down paths of HDMI splitters, HD cards, and other known-bad/problem hardware, lousy freeware -- and then complain about problem, my response is "well, duh!".

Sony RDR-HX750 isn't a TBC, and does internal processing of sorts. What you see is such an artifact.

Maybe I'm being harsh here, but I don't know what else to say.

08-26-2020, 08:37 AM
Free Member

I have been capturing VHS with USB Live 2 for over a month now.

Tried several methods. One direct capture to .ts (mpeg2 codec) with Hauppauge's own capture software (Hauppauge Capture) and secondly with AmarecTV to Lagarith AVI.

Both work fine. But my goal end is just to share the video on Google drive with family members, so they can view it on their mobile devices.

Shoud I really de-interlace the video with QTGMC for this purpose?

I have used the following avisynth script for lagarith avi

Code:
AVISource("myfile.avi")
AssumeTFF()
QTGMC(Preset="Slow")
Crop(10,2,0,-14)
Spline36Resize(960,720)

Last edited by mehfoozyaadein; 08-26-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: wrong script.