Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-16-2020, 11:40 AM
Free Member

I Have some Home Video tapes, (20) a friend asked me to convert and most have a tearing issue at the top, I assume it has to do with the camera he used for Home videos.
My normal setup is a SR V101 (From LS) to Data Video TBC-1000 - AIW 9600 - VDub.

I had Picked up an ES10 at Goodwill for $6 and recapped it, I tested as pass-through on a couple of the tapes and does remove the tearing. I turned off VCR TBC as suggested.

I was wondering if Just using a NON TBC VCR such as my SR S8009 or HR S5902 would serve as well and lessen the wear on the V101

Blender
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Maybe.

The reason for the quality JVC is not just the TBC. Big part is the TBC, but not all.
It's the internals, mechanics, transports.
How the tape is treated by the deck, played.
Other components in the deck.
Even with TBC off, it's an excellent deck.

Most consumer VHS VCRs are terrible, and shouldn't be used at all.

Goodwill decks are fodder for mold work, learning VCR repair, etc. (Unless you see a recommended JVC/Panasonic S-VHS deck, which is highly unlikely. Those should be repaired, or parted out.)

Good job on the ES10 repair.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, Ill keep using the V101

Just wasn't sure if the Internals and menus were the same just lacking TBC feature.

I don't capture with these units just reviewing, rewind etc. They play tapes well though for the most part but I definitely see the difference with V101 when using TBC
The SVHS JVC HR S 8009 & 5902 were very lightly used and in the Box (not E-bay or GW) from a neighbor who had a video Production Co at one time.

BTW I better make a new donation
Because of this forum I able to recognize the right equipment when I stumble across it.
like the ES-10 for $6.00, E-bay remote for it cost more.
DV TBC-1000 for $25.0 0 on surplus shelf. (ROI on this will be good )
JVC BR-DV3000U Free from neighbor
Been given several Good Sony Camcorders Hi8, Dig Hi8, JVC-C with S-video in exchange for Capturing tapes. (I never charge $$ its just a hobby now)
The following users thank Blender for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-19-2020)
07-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Free Member

Likely if you're talking about more modern ones like the HR S5902, not sure what the S8009 is.

JVC often shared the main video and system ICs in the consumer SVHS and Hi-Fi models from the same lineup, with the SVHS and functions TBC on add-on boards (the "pro" ones like the SR V101 may have been a bit more different). The playback of the non-TBC versions of a SVHS deck should be pretty close to the more expensive one, sans the TBC. Some of the difference between models also was about editing features, like edit control connectors and flying erase heads, which doesn't impact playback. For some of the later ones they sold, the internals seem to be the same as some Toshiba units, not sure who made them.
The mechanisms seem to have been mostly the same as well between the cheaper and more expensive ones from the same lineups. One difference I have seen is that seems to be that the cheaper ones seems to have dropped the tape stabilizer thing, and the dynamic drum systems is of course reserved for some specific models.

To what extent the video heads differ between models and whether the high-end ones had more precisely made and aligned ones I don't know, haven't been able to find much info about that.

This manual: JVC-HR-S9500-Trn.pdf (found here but attached for posterity), includes a list of what models use which video IC for the 1998 lineup and shows a bit what's shared between models. SVHS models and some 4-head hifi ones use a JCP-8016 IC, while the 2-head and some 4-head ones use a hitachi chip instead. It also mentions 2 different syscon ICs being used, though not which models uses which ones.

For another example, this service manual for the S7800 refers to the S4800 for parts other than the 3D digital module (which contains the TBC) and a tuner demodulator, or the SR-MV30US here referring to the non-SVHS schematics other than the 3D digital/SVHS board.

Last edited by hodgey; 07-16-2020 at 01:04 PM.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-19-2020)
07-19-2020, 06:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
BTW I better make a new donation
Because of this forum I able to recognize the right equipment when I stumble across it.
Thanks much.

Quote:
like the ES-10 for $6.00, E-bay remote for it cost more.
DV TBC-1000 for $25.0 0 on surplus shelf. (ROI on this will be good )
JVC BR-DV3000U Free from neighbor
Whoa! Jealous! Amazing prices there.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs