digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ATI TV Wonder 600 suddenly unstable picture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10830-ati-tv-wonder.html)

someperson 07-27-2020 08:19 PM

ATI TV Wonder 600 suddenly unstable picture?

1 Attachment(s)
I've used my ATI TV Wonder 600 recently to capture a bunch of tapes. Today, however, I'm encountering a strange problem with it. It appears to be the capture device at fault because the test pattern output of my TBC exhibits the same issue. Has anyone seen this happen before? File is attached with a sample capture showing the issue.

jwillis84 07-28-2020 02:10 PM

Looks like its loosing vertical sync.

Make sure Image Stablization is (turned off) in a JVC that can interfere with the TBC.

someperson 07-28-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwillis84 (Post 70454)
Looks like its loosing vertical sync.

Make sure Image Stablization is (turned off) in a JVC that can interfere with the TBC.

The issue seems to happen regardless of what I'm feeding into the capture device. Even my AVT-8710's test pattern has this issue being captured (or even previewed in VirtualDub). It happens with the VCR whether the stabilizer is on or off.

jwillis84 07-28-2020 08:47 PM

If its attached to a laptop, try moving it from the Left side USB port to the Right side and see if that makes a difference.

Left side is usually USB 3.0 and right side are usually standard specification USB 2.0 for legacy keyboards and boot sticks.

USB 3.0 ports are phenomenally manufacturer specific, some good, some bad.. the ATI 600 USB was made for USB 2.0 and needs that stability.

If its a desktop, make sure no USB hubs are being used, and that you haven't recently installed new software that might have installed a device driver filter to layer on top of the unadulterated raw USB data stream.. like antivirus.. they tend to put filters on top the device driver to inspect or block USB thumb drives until they can scan for potential infectious data files and programs. Windows 10 updates tend to muck up USB ports with their antimalware updates almost monthly.

someperson 07-28-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwillis84 (Post 70457)
If its attached to a laptop, try moving it from the Left side USB port to the Right side and see if that makes a difference.

Left side is usually USB 3.0 and right side are usually standard specification USB 2.0 for legacy keyboards and boot sticks.

USB 3.0 ports are phenomenally manufacturer specific, some good, some bad.. the ATI 600 USB was made for USB 2.0 and needs that stability.

If its a desktop, make sure no USB hubs are being used, and that you haven't recently installed new software that might have installed a device driver filter to layer on top of the unadulterated raw USB data stream.. like antivirus.. they tend to put filters on top the device driver to inspect or block USB thumb drives until they can scan for potential infectious data files and programs. Windows 10 updates tend to muck up USB ports with their antimalware updates almost monthly.

It's attached to a desktop, using the same port I've always used. It is a USB 3 port, but I also just tried a USB 2 port and got the same results.

lordsmurf 07-28-2020 10:15 PM

Is that AVT-8710 green or black?
green = good
black = bad, flawed, causes problems

someperson 07-28-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 70459)
Is that AVT-8710 green or black?
green = good
black = bad, flawed, causes problems

It's a green one. I even bought it from you!

The AVT-8710 isn't the cause. VCR fed right in has the same issue, even on menus.

Matthew 07-29-2020 02:05 AM

I've also started having a similar issue with my ATI 600 USB (connected to a USB 2.0 port), although the video glitch doesn't happen quite as frequently as what's in your posted clip. I'm on the latest 2004 version of Windows 10, and I don't easily have access to anything else to test. I'm using a Pinnacle 710-USB instead and that's working fine. I thought my ATI 600 USB might suddenly be defective, but your post is making me question that since it seems like too much of a coincidence.

jwillis84 07-29-2020 08:21 AM

I've collected 11 different versions of Mac OS X because they kept messing with their USB ports in the name of antivirus and antimalware.

The one that works best is the one that does the least from 2009.

I guess its time to start collecting versions of Windows 10, there are 9 major versions since its initial release.

I can't provide any suggestions without owning and testing all versions of Windows 10.

Windows 10 version numbers and dates

One of the LTS is probably best.. but that's a guess.

someperson 08-06-2020 07:59 PM

I did some more testing, and it seems my device is actually fine. Something in Windows 10 version 2004 sadly seems to have broken it :(

Haven't determined if there's a solution.

Hangle 11-21-2020 04:30 PM

I'm having this exact same issue with Windows 10 Pro version 2020.

JVC S6900U > ES10 > ATI 600 USB > VirtualDub Huffyuv

I was using an ATI 750 but the AGC and lack of level control was bothering me. Just bought a 600, installed the Vista driver following the instructions posted here, and am getting the same glitching. If I swap back to the 750, problem solved. I've tried all 4 of my USB ports and reinstalled the driver multiple times.

Any ideas?

Hangle 11-22-2020 10:07 AM

Issue fixed!

I clean installed Windows 10 Pro version 1909, reinstalled everything, and no glitching. Disabled all Windows updates as well.

For what it's worth, I can confirm that this is working (currently lol):

JVC S6900U > ES10 > ATI 600 USB (all s-video) > Windows 10 Pro ver 1909 bootcamped on a 2019 iMac > VirtualDub Huffyyuv

latreche34 11-22-2020 01:01 PM

Microsoft is dumbing down their operating system to a bare minimum of two types of ports, in the near future you will only be able to connect USB C devices and HDMI monitors, All the bells and whistles will be gone. I remember the old days when I had on my laptop VGA, HDMI, Dial up, Ethernel, USB, Firewire, ExpressCard (this is another possibility for tons of other ports such as display port, SATA, IDE, Component, SDI, SCSI ....etc), and when I remove the battery and install an adapter I can get TV tuner, S-Video/composite/audio I/O. Those days are gone forever.

ragu0012 01-15-2021 09:57 AM

It is definitely a problem with the latest Windows 10 update, as I am now having the identical problem.

The question is how to fix it??