08-05-2020, 05:18 PM
Free Member

VirtualDub gives me the following error when trying to select the Pinnacle 510-USB (Direct Show) device:

Code:
VirtualDub cannot connect to the desired capture driver.
I'm using Windows 10 64 bit OS, VirtualDub 1.9.11 (download from this site)

The Pinnacle High Speed Device shows up in Windows Device Manager. It shows it as working properly. Driver date 5/9/07. Driver Version 4.0.46.0

Is this the correct driver? Or is there something else with my setup?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2020, 06:23 PM
Free Member

I'm going to toss out an unorthodox suggestion

CaptureFlux is free for personal use, license for professional use.

It seems to work with Pinnacle 510-USB to capture .avi files in 720x480

The device driver is unconventional in that the Video Capture Pin has to be used as the Crossbar for both Video and Audio

Its a little unconventional, but was last updated by the software author this year (2020)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaptureFlux720x480.jpg (196.6 KB, 252 downloads)
08-05-2020, 07:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The Pinnacle card is fine in Win10 with VirtualDub. Something is not being set correctly. Remember that Crossbar Thing must also be used to switch the input from s-video to composite.

Does it capture lossless codecs? I'm not seeing where it does.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-05-2020, 07:52 PM
Free Member

The capture device appears in the drop down menu ( Pinnacle 510-USB (Direct Show)), but when I select it, I get an error message (VirtualDub cannot connect to the desired capture driver.). Virtualdub doesn't recognize the video source and I can't capture any files.

I tried the Crossbar Thing, but don't know which option to select. There are 2 buttons on the left column, Pinnacle 510-USB Crossbar and Pinnacle 510-USB. (I get an error when I select Pinnacle 510-USB). Even without the Crossbar Thing, shouldn't Virtualdub still be able to recognize the driver?
08-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I have no idea.

You must understand that "Windows 10" is actually a new OS every 6 months. The OS varies wildly between releases, and is completely unlike Service Packs of past years. Every new "update" (in actuality, an upgrade) tends to screw up hardware drivers -- especially video capture, lucky us! This is why Win10 is not suggested for the task of capturing.

The OS also reacts differently from system to system (hardware to hardware). Microsoft adopted the "launch first, figure bugs out later" attitude back during late Win8 era. So each OS version can be wildly different from the same version on other hardware.

I know the 510-USB works on Win10, and works well. But your system is rejecting it, for unknown reasons.

I've really given up on trying to troubleshoot Win10. There's just too many variables.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-08-2020, 09:46 AM
Free Member

I'm thinking its either a driver or usb conflict with my setup versus a Windows 10 issue. I've tried plugging it in all usb ports, but having the same issue. Device manager shows it's working, but the program can't access the drivers. I tried it on my Windows 10 laptop, and Virtualdub appears to see it, although I haven't tried any captures yet. Hopefully, I can figure out what's going on with my desktop. Any ideas on what to try next?

-- merged --

Update. I found a workaround for my desktop issue. I had to create a new windows account. Now, Virtualdub can see the card on my Windows 10 desktop as well as laptop. It appears to be a "permissions" thing. I get a "Access is Denied" error when I try to access the drivers from a program on my main Windows account, although it is an Administrator account. After I created a new account, Virtualdub can connect to the drivers. Now trying to capture and figure out how to keep Virtualdub from freezing and crashing.
08-08-2020, 04:48 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
I'm going to toss out an unorthodox suggestion

CaptureFlux is free for personal use, license for professional use.

It seems to work with Pinnacle 510-USB to capture .avi files in 720x480

The device driver is unconventional in that the Video Capture Pin has to be used as the Crossbar for both Video and Audio

Its a little unconventional, but was last updated by the software author this year (2020)
Interesting piece of software Jwillis, It reminds me of ScenelizerLive for DV, I have a 500-USB I will give it a try on the most stubborn Win 10 machine. I wonder if it can capture in 720x486 with non consumer cards.
08-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Free Member

Update on my desktop. It appears it was a permission's issue. The Privacy settings under the Camera App Permissions was turned Off to allow desktop apps to access the camera. Virtualdub showed up there as one of the Apps. After changing the permission to On, both Virtualdub and the Crossbar Thing are able to recognize the device.
The following users thank stymie for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-19-2020), ThumperStrauss (01-06-2022)
09-06-2022, 07:05 PM
Free Member

Just wanted to chime in and say that the privacy settings for the camera was also a problem for me when I attempted to run Crossbar (got some access denied Just-in-Time debugger error) and my VDub would not connect the same way as OP stated. Allowing camera access solved both issues. Now to figure out why video capture will not work :\