Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2020, 02:03 AM
Free Member

The title is my main issue I'm trying to figure out at the moment, but I do have other questions i would like to ask so I'll number them out below.

Currently I'm using a Panasonic AG-1970 S-Video to a Diamond VC500 on Windows 10. From reading up on this site I know none of this is optimal, but so far it's been leagues better than the Sony VHS to DVD combo deck I started with and I'm happy enough with the results.

I will be keeping the captures archived on my Unraid server as I have plenty of space there, but do want to serve the files through Plex to my family. Which I would want to convert to a friendly container and codecs.

1. Mediainfo identifies the captured file with everything correct except the scan type: progressive. I'm pretty sure it isn't as I see the video as interlaced during playback in media player classic or virtualdub. (vlc refuses to playback the huffyuv video). When i enable deinterlace (blend) in media players shaders it does appear to deinterlace it. Same with VLC after I've converted it to a codec it prefers like x264. But it won't do it automatically and when i tossed it up on my Plex server for a streaming test, it is playing the file(x264) interlaced to my tv or plexweb browser. So I'm not sure if this all stems from it being identified as progressive when it should say interlaced so playback software/devices can appropriately deinterlace. I have a screenshot and video sample attached of the capture.

2. I've seen mentioned that you want to avoid as much conversion as possible. Colorspace, encoding etc. What is the best workflow to get this done? In my screenshot I have my filters showing because it appears that doing the CCD and temporal smoothing is requiring an RGB conversion. What format should I output knowing I will want to edit in a NLE and have a Plex friendly file for TVs?

3. In the sample capture video you can see the first scene is much worse than the second scene. The VCR identifies different parts of the tape were recorded at SLP or SP modes and the ensuing quality seems to confirm that. The CCD works great on the SP sections, and ok on the SLP sections. It can do a bit better with SLP sections if I crank up the chroma reduction, but I'm not going to try to edit scene by scene and dont wan't to lose detail by going crazy with filters. The noise filter on the VCR does practically nothing when comparing the captures. Does it matter if I do temporal before or after the CCD filter? Temporal is for luma noise?

4. Although the AG-1970 has a TBC, I've seen it mentioned that its old and not very effective. I've tried it and it does completely remove the horizontal jitter that is fairly visible in the timestamp on the videos. (Video sample is with no TBC on). There is jitter all throughout the video, but with constant motion it's not usually very noticeable to me. And I'd love to use it for that, but it also darkens the picture, increases contrast, shifts hue towards magenta and sometimes exacerbates noise and various playback issues. I tried fixing this through the level controls on the VC500 through Virtualdub, but I can't get it to match the original capture with no TBC. And i swear it changes scene by scene. I'm actually very happy with the none TBC capture as far as color and contrast and would be fine with the small jitter. That being said, is that something that an ES10 would fix? This is only one tape I'm attempting right now out of say 40 or so and I know they could all have varying quality issues.

Thank you for any info and help.

Chris

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot.jpg (45.7 KB, 5 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avi Home Videos 1994 AG-1970 sample.avi (72.25 MB, 13 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-21-2020, 04:55 PM
Free Member

If it helps I've attached almost all the settings that might be relevant to capturing I'm using.

VirtualDub Settings.jpg

08-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Lossless AVI doesn't have interlace flags. Manually set it to TFF in the editor, set Avisynth script to interlace=true switches, etc.

FFMPEG Huffyuv is not suggested. The official Huffyuv is.

Colorspace conversion isn't a problem, but rather something to be mindful of. Certain filters and software requires certain colorspaces to operate in. The end. Perhaps streamline some tasks when possible, avoid bad colorspace conversions, etc.

Yes, the 1970 deck is weaker. But it's not purely about the field TBC, but rather the DNR added to the field TBC.

If your Panasonic deck image values are changing when TBC is on/off, the deck is bad. Needs caps work.

ES10/15 may help.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs