digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Capturing with ATI Catalyst Media Center with USB stick? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10911-capturing-ati-catalyst.html)

Wingzrow 08-18-2020 04:31 PM

Capturing with ATI Catalyst Media Center with USB stick?

So I've tried every possible codec and program to capture with the 600 Wonder USB stick, and the only program that even wants to record is the packed in Catalyst Media Center.

The Problem: When I click "best" under capture options, I still get deinterlacing (combing?) artifacts. Is there a way to force it to deinterlace 100% of the time? I've tried building a custom profile with no luck. Another issue is it seems to automatically split recorded files at the 4GB or 1 hour mark, I'm not sure which. If anyone knows a simple, no hassle program to capture from the Wonder 600 Stick PLEASE let me know. I just want an MP4 that's not interlaced at full resolution.

"Why not just use another program?"

Streamcatcher bundled with old startech card won't recognize non USB 3.0 cards
OBS won't recognize the signal
VLC (yes VLC) only recognized the static & not the S-Video connection
Virtualdub refuses to capture in 4:3 and only gives me stretched files no matter the setting on the capture pin or custom settings.

lordsmurf 08-19-2020 02:14 AM

You're likely having issues with your graphics card. What is it?

Did you look into the DirectX settings in VirtualDub?
Options > Preferences > Display and uncheck Use DirectX.

I know Nvidia cards sometimes need VirtualDub excluded, and fallback to the OS/intregrated graphics processing (forget the terms now, screencaps still on a thumbdrive, also made post about it some months ago).

Wingzrow 08-19-2020 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doesn't seem to have helped. For whatever reason virtualdub refuses to capture in a proper 4:3 ratio even when I set it to 720X480. It always wants to record at 720 X 240. :smack:

lordsmurf 08-19-2020 09:09 PM

Did you set the Video > Custom resolution?

Wingzrow 08-20-2020 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 70913)
Did you set the Video > Custom resolution?

I did. It always staps back to 720X240 when capturing or previewing.

lordsmurf 08-21-2020 06:59 AM

I see this every few years (various capture cards, usually ATIs), and always forget what I did last time. It takes me a few weeks to re-figure it out. I know that I posted about the 720x240 with an AIW card, my last incident, but you'll have to search the forum for it. Happened in either 2018 or early/mid 2019. Also posted about some previous incidents.

This shows up on a search: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...iw-cannot.html
2017 post, the time before last.
That time, it was an Overlay/Preview issue in VirtualDub. So settings, PEBKAC.

BTW, my search term was "720x240 lordsmurf" in Google. ;)

Wingzrow 08-21-2020 06:39 PM

Well if you can figure out exactly where you said you fixed it and how let me know. You went through this in 2017 so it has to be something fixable.

Wingzrow 08-21-2020 09:06 PM

FIXED: Don't know why, but turning off "Verticle Reduction" under the "Video" drop down menu fixed it.

NEW QUESTION: I want to deinterlace & compress as I capture. What are the best settings? I'm looking for mid quality compression.

lordsmurf 08-21-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingzrow (Post 70938)
NEW QUESTION: I want to deinterlace & compress as I capture.

No, you do not.

Even mediocre quality methods take non-realtime resources. Only the crappiest drop-frame deinterlace methods are available. You'll butcher/ruin the quality.

MPEG-2 compression is fine, but must be done with certain cards only. The ATI 600 USB is minimally passable with ATI CMC, but it's not at all suggest due to lack of dropped frames counter. You could have all sorts of errors, and not even know it.

Wingzrow 08-21-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 70939)
No, you do not.

Even mediocre quality methods take non-realtime resources. Only the crappiest drop-frame deinterlace methods are available. You'll butcher/ruin the quality.

MPEG-2 compression is fine, but must be done with certain cards only. The ATI 600 USB is minimally passable with ATI CMC, but it's not at all suggest due to lack of dropped frames counter. You could have all sorts of errors, and not even know it.

Then what's the best way to Deinterlace vs. file size? Handbreak has given me some...mixed results. SONY Vegas with YADIF set on mediafx seems to be the only thing I've tried that's deinterlaced at non insane file sizes.

-- merged --

Just want to close the topic by saying you were 100% right. ATI Catalyst's "best" option for recording with a 600 Wonder USB stick is nowhere near lossless. I started noticing huge amounts of macroblocks on solid colors so I'm now recording uncompressed virtualdub rips that I deinterlace externally. The raw files may be 40GB to 60GB a tape, but they're noticeably more clear now that I'm encoding from a better source. Thanks for putting up with me lordsmurf. You know what you're talking about :congrats: