Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-29-2020, 03:51 AM
Free Member

All,

I’d like to kick-off a video capture project, but there is a snag…

… I have a number of camcorder VHS-C tapes which have been recorded in NTSC, but I am resident in the United Kingdom. That means that pretty much all of the commonly available VCRs are PAL.

From reading round the excellent FAQs on this site, I understand that having separate VCRs to capture NTSC or PAL tapes is the best way to go. However, as I am in the UK, importing an NTSC VCR is likely to be a problem.

For the purposes of practicality, it’s likely to mean that I am going to need a machine that can produce a “true” NTSC 3.58 signal (in addition to its usually used modes), before passing this through a TBC such as the Panasonic DM-Exx series and then capture.

I would like to capture the video in a good quality as possible in an uncompressed format, before cleaning the video up with filters etc.

Am I completely barking up the wrong tree? A couple of questions that I have after looking at what’s available on the big auction site have sprung to mind:

(i) Is composite video definitely what is required here when using an outboard TBC?
(ii) I’ve noticed a number of machines that can output an NTSC 4.43 signal (as opposed to a NTSC Playback on Pal TV), could this type of signal be fed to a TBC before capture?
(iii) Do I need to bite the bullet and import a “true” NTSC machine from the US or elsewhere?

I am not opposed to doing some servicing work (I have the equipment) and as mentioned, I would like if possible to obtain as high quality as possible (I’ve obtained and repaired a drum scanner from still image digitisation work previously).

Any tips, pointers, laughs, suggestions would be welcome – LordSmurf or other regulars, do you have any ideas?

Or, if there is anyone in the UK that does have a machine that can produce NTS 3.58 that is surplus to requirements, I would be interested to know!

Thanks for reading,

J.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-29-2020, 09:16 AM
Free Member

You need NTSC 3.58Mhz all across the board, S-Video is recommended even with TBC (not all TBC's are composite only). NTSC 4.43 aka PAL60 can be captured but you'll limit your options in capture card and TBC choices.
08-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Free Member

Thanks. That makes sense, looks like there are a couple of options.

I suppose now I also need to think about getting a TBC, and that doesn’t appear that it’s going to be an easy task...

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
You need NTSC 3.58Mhz all across the board, S-Video is recommended even with TBC (not all TBC's are composite only). NTSC 4.43 aka PAL60 can be captured but you'll limit your options in capture card and TBC choices.