digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VHS recorded on JCPenny camcorder in 1990s? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10981-vhs-recorded-jcpenny.html)

POrwig 09-10-2020 08:42 PM

VHS recorded on JCPenny camcorder in 1990s?

To make a long story short, my brother had purchased a VHS camcorder at a local JC Penny store back in the early 1990's. My brother was in his late teens when he purchased this camcorder and he and I decided to make several private movies with this camcorder. I remember that this camcorder only had composite out as a means for making copies of VHS tapes, one yellow (video) and one white (audio). I have been reading on the forums here on how to preserve the quality of VHS tapes to digital with the list of VCR's that have TBC built in, my question is this; this camcorder has long since worked and it died in the late 90's so it was trashed back then. I still have the original VHS tapes that this VHS camcorder recorded our personal movies we made as kids, would I still need to purchase a VCR mentioned in this forum with the JVC HR-S series 7000 to 9000 in order to preserve the quality of these "composite camcorder" or would any S-Video out VCR do as long as I purchase an external TBC for quality enhancements? These VHS tapes have not been in a VCR for about over 10 years.

Years ago I researched this same question and was pointed to an option of connecting a VCR with S-Video out to our Canon GL1 and playing the VCR while recording on the Canon GL1 to a Mini-DV tape and this would preserve the quality of the original VHS tape, which I have done.

I would like to get the best picture possible from the original VHS tape to a digital format and I would like to know if I did the right thing 10 years ago with the option above or do I need to purchase a pro-consumer VCR in order to get the best quality?

Thanks,
Paul

latreche34 09-11-2020 02:35 AM

The camcorder records video from its imaging sensor to the tape in Y/C component format, it has nothing to do with its output if composite or something else. So yes a S-VHS VCR is better for capturing the tape using S-Video cable, Though you will not benefit from Hi-Fi stereo since the camcorder is mono.

dpalomaki 09-11-2020 09:46 AM

Ultimately it will depends on your ultimate objective with the capture video; e.g., do you plan to do some restoration of the captured images?

Recording to the GL1 can gave you a DV video format "file" on tape that you can capture to a computer without further loss via IEEE1394 (aka firewire, iLink). But DV is not the optimum format for capture, especially if you plan to do any serious restoration. Many consumers find this format is satisfactory for their purposes, but it generally is not the best possible result. (I can't speak specifically to GL1 analog in to DV conversion performance, but it was a decent MiniDV camcorder in its day some 21 years ago.)

For best results you will need the VCR with an internal TBC and s-video output. You will likely need an external frame TBC depending on how well the VCR can read the tape. You will also want to capture it with a good capture card and software that can capture to lossless (not the same as uncompressed) format for editing/processing/restoration/conversion to the final distribution format. There are plenty of threads on how to do that and what gear to use.

"The best picture possible" is an indefinite standard, and probably should be delimited by factors such as budget (i.e., time and money you are willing and able to invest into the learning curve and the process), desired completion date, final distribution/viewing format, and so on. "I need it in 10 days" will likely call for a different approach than "I need it for next August."

If only a small number of tapes are involved it may be simpler to find a reputable service to do it for you. The operators of this web site probably can help you with that process.

POrwig 09-11-2020 03:01 PM

Thank you both for the quick replies. I figured I would need a VCR with an internal TBC, but seeing how it was recorded on a VHS camcorder I thought maybe my setup would be different than most, but now I see it does not matter and I will search for the proper method.

I would like to get the best results possible ie: the clearest video and audio, I realize I won't get a picture perfect solution; I just want to get the best image possible and the best audio capture. I will look on this forum for the proper thread for achieving this result.

The only capture device I have that I am not sure will work with Windows 10 is the VT2 from Newtek, it does have the S-Video; Component and Composite connects, if there is a better one and please direct me to it. The only other capturing device I have is the Elgato USB S-Video device.

lordsmurf 09-11-2020 03:20 PM

Not just any S-VHS VCR, but specific models known for quality.

A proper workflow is VCR > TBC > capture card.

S-VHS VCR line TBC is not the same as frame TBC -- you need both.

What you want is easily achievable, as long as you acquire the correct hardware (and ideally from a reputable source, ie not eBay). Remember to look through this site's marketplace subforum.

Elgato has earned the nickname "Elcrapo". The Newtek is unlikely an analog capture card, but rather and HD cards that "also does" analog (and quite poorly, which is the status quo for HD cards from Blackmagic, Magewell, and others).

Sometimes people are surprised at how "picture perfect" can be possible, though it depends on several factors.

POrwig 09-11-2020 04:08 PM

All I know on the Newtek capture card is it connects to the PC by either PCI-express, PCI I can't remember; it has two 15 pin connectors one for input and one for output and two 3.5mm audio jacks, one for input and one for output. These 15 pins connectors are like those once used on older monitors.

I read on this forum somewhere where as I long as I have one of the JVC HR-S series models that have a built in TBC that should give me the best results that this is the "best" method. Or could I have a VCR that has an S-Video out and purchase an external TBC for the same results? Which is better a VCR with a built-in TBC or a good S-VCR with S-Video out and purchase an external TBC?

I know I can not upscale this VCR source to 1080p, but I would like to get the best picture possible to burn to a bluray disc both as a media to play on and also to archive this footage. I have one of the M-DISC that is suppose to last a long time. Again, I am not looking for bluray quality on this footage, but at least be able to watch this VCR footage on a media that has the best look wether it be DVD or Blu-ray.

Thanks again,

I will look for this post about the marketplace to find these items.

lordsmurf 09-12-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POrwig (Post 71387)
I will look for this post about the marketplace to find these items.

Not a single post, entire subforum: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/marketplace/

Everything you need is there. :)