Quantcast VHS to PCI Avermedia Card - No output, driving me nuts! - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Free Member

Hi folks,

First time poster and i am having some trouble. Please bare with me if some of my terminology is incorrect. I'm trying to convert some old VHS tapes to digital via a PCI capture card.

I've bought a Avermedia CE310B PCI card, brand new device, just arrived today installed into a brand new PC.

When i try play back video from the VHS player to the PC i get no audio and no sound.

My VHS player is a Sony SLV-SE7401 & its inputs and outputs are as follows:
  • Output: Scart Line 1 (black color labelled euro AV)
  • Output: Scart Line 2 (blue color)
  • Output: Audio out (L+R red+white)
  • Output: TV Out (RF)
  • Input: Antenna Input
I've tried using a Male to Male RCA cable into a RCA to Scart adapter. The scart plugged into the VHS and the RCA into the capture card. I've changed around the resolution and swapped around from Composite to S-Video and back again (just to cycle the input) and i get no video and no audio output. I've tried both scart outputs on the VHS. The screen output either remains blue or black (depending on what resolution i set the capture to).

I tried another cable, gold plated JVC dedicated Scart to RCA and the same result as above.

When i plug in the RCA cables audio (white and red) into the VCR's "Audio Out" port i can hear sound through my PC's speakers.

I then tried an old TV Out (RF) to RCA cable (i think that is what it is, i used to use it on my old Super Nintendo) and i still can't get any audio or video out.

I'm not using any copy protected tapes, they are old family VHS tapes from 20-30 years ago. I know the VHS player works because it outputs over scart to a TV just fine and plays the tapes perfectly with audio and video.

Do i need to have it plugged into a TV to get an output to a PC as well or what am i doing wrong here?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Free Member

Does your scart adapter have a switch on it? Out and in are not the same pins on the scart port, and most adapter that don't have a switch on them are input only.
09-17-2020, 10:56 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Does your scart adapter have a switch on it? Out and in are not the same pins on the scart port, and most adapter that don't have a switch on them are input only.
No switch.

The scart adapter i have is labelled "Microsoft". I think it belongs to an old xbox console so it is more then likely belonging to the TV side.

The JVC scart cable i have would be the same idea, the scart end always ended up on the TV because the RCA side went to a camcorder.

Thanks for the tip, I completely forgot some of the scart adapters had switches on them

I'll post back an update when i find a switchable adapter.
09-17-2020, 05:11 PM
Free Member

I'm going to mark this as solved. I purchased a scart adapter with a switch for Input/Output and its done the trick. Audio and Video working perfectly.

Tags
avermedia, digital, vhs