Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Unconfirmed User

I have a company called IIRI (www.iiri.com) that both sells the equipment for and converts Microfilm, Rare book, Manuscripts, Slides and photos. We have now been asked to handle a large number of VHS tapes and the customer does not want to send them out of town. So I have to make a business decision if I will take on this responsibility.

I have been reading "How to do this on a budget" but in reality I must get good (practical) equipment if I am going to take this task. IMHO it will be false economy to go cheap but I don't have an open check book.

My question is this:- What equipment can I purchase today to set a a reasonable conversion solution.

We already have significant PC hardware/network/disk space but can rig anything that you suggest.

Your guidance to what we should do would be greatly appreciated.

Derek
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Free Member

You would need a hassle free professional equipment, Consumer stuff will give you a headache in most cases, but doable:

- For VCR, you want a low hour pro S-VHS deck with line TBC and S-Video or Y/C BNC out, A good consumer one should be OK if in good working condition.

- For the capture device, You need something like BrighEye 75 built in frame TBC, digitizes and stabilizes @ 12 bit out to SDI (no analog/digital back and forth conversions) then in the capture software you can select either 10 or 8 bit from the raw 12 bit. From SDI you need a SDI to USB 3.0 adapter that has it's own capture app, though Vdub can be used with no problems. The captured files are NTSC/PAL/SECAM (based on the source tape) lossless AVI 4:2:2 720x486/720x576 for video and PCM 24bit/48Khz for audio.

The sooner you start looking for the equipment the better, Nothing that you can go to the store shelves and pickup, all used stuff.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: archivarious (10-05-2020)
10-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Hopefully the site admins see this (looks like they did). They are in the Dallas area if that helps.
10-04-2020, 02:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Since this is being created for a specific project/client, it really needs some tailoring towards that end.

How many tapes?
What recording mode are your VHS tapes?
- SP, LP, EP/SLP, or a mix? If mix, % of each?
- If not known, guestimate. (What you don't want to do is put these tapes in a ratty old VCR, and have the tapes get damaged.)

That can make big decisions in what is used, and in costs.

I also need to know what sort of budget I have to work with. Feel free to PM that number, if not wanting to post it here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks for getting back so promptly.
This FIRST project is for about 250 tapes. First inventory was mostly SD but now will go back and make a more detailed inventory. I am OK to breakeven on the first job but am now getting concerned about the technical knowledge and maintaining it over the coming years with aging equipment.

Will PM more details.

Tags
2020 hardware, no budget, vhs conversion