digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   How to activate Closed Captions on JVC S-VHS deck? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11048-how-activate-closed.html)

WestRGB 10-03-2020 04:18 PM

How to activate Closed Captions on JVC S-VHS deck?

I recently acquired a JVC HR-DVS3U from the venerable lordsmurf (which I could not be happier with). However, unrelated to any capture projects, I thought I would test the closed caption functionality of the VCR because I'm a little hard of hearing -- and I can't seem to figure it out. I read the manual. The only thing it mentions about closed-captions is that Video Stabilization must be turned off for them to work. But even with that setting turned off and a CC-embedded tape in the player, I can't seem to figure out how to make them display.

Does anyone here know how to turn on subtitles? :question:

lordsmurf 10-04-2020 01:53 PM

Did you look at all the VCR menus? I vaguely remember this, but rarely used the feature (90s, 2000s).

Remember than frame TBCs will usually nuke the CC data.

You also usually cannot capture the CC data. I vaguely remember discussions about this with MPEG in ATI MMC, but again that was 15-20 years ago.

WestRGB 10-04-2020 03:33 PM

Even with TBC/DNR/Video Stabilization settings all set to off, no dice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71877)
Did you look at all the VCR menus?

Yes. Though I suppose its possible I missed something.

latreche34 10-05-2020 12:44 AM

Are you sure the tape contains the CC data?

WestRGB 10-05-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 71892)
Are you sure the tape contains the CC data?

Yes. Tried multiple retail tapes.

I have a new theory: I always thought Closed Captions were decoded on the VCR end. But perhaps they are decoded on the television end. Perhaps there's a TV setting to extract the CC data from the composite video stream, whether it comes from a VCR, cable broadcast, etc.

Typical problems, I've lost my old CRT remote :smack:

But I'll test that theory if I find it :congrats:

lordsmurf 10-06-2020 04:13 PM

Yes, the TV does that.
Where were you trying to see those? VirtualDub or somwhere?

The line TBC doesn't strip CC. Frame TBC usually will. But not line. I know TBC-1000 does, don't recall about green AVT-8710.

kolinsmile 10-12-2020 09:14 AM

I prefer usually use VIDBOX VHS to DVD 8.0. Seems work no bad and make quality digital video.

Like in this review [removed]

latreche34 10-14-2020 12:23 PM

People who do reviews like that have no skills in converting videos, They are as clueless as the people in the "Legacy Box" who use the same devices.

lordsmurf 10-14-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 72117)
People who do reviews like that have no skills in converting videos, They are as clueless as the people in the "Legacy Box" who use the same devices.

Even worse -- it was a Russian spammer. Banned. :protest:
As I wrote here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 72048)
That's not a review.
It's just an affiliate splog (spam blog) of items still sold on Walmart and Amazon. :screwy:
That page is 100% worthless.
The pros/cons are laughably inept stupidity. :rolleyes:

Post left for posterity.