Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-12-2020, 12:52 AM
Free Member

Hi - first time posting.

Thank you for everyone that jumps on and help solve technical issues - life savers.

I have been transferring VHS family tapes to my MSI GP63 Leopard 8RE laptop for a while and it has been going really well.

I use the KWorld DVD Maker 2 - it has never had any issues... until now.

Microsoft prompt me to update Windows 10 (which was on there originally) and then afterwards my capture image is now flickering, the audio is fine but not the image. I have tried transfering on a friend's computer with Windows 10 and no issues in the capturing.

My set up is VCR > Kworld DVD Maker 2 > OBS.

Laptop's specs are: CPU Intel i7 8th Gen, RAM 16GB... let me know if you need other specs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2020, 01:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Kworld is not a suggested card. The innards are highly variable. You need to crack it open, and see what you have there. It's likely a mix of undesireable chips.

Win10 is an infamous OS for video. Updates breaks everything all the time. This is why WinXP and Win7 are suggested for video capturing.

OBS is a streaming capture software that "also does" analog, but quite poorly.

Your workflow has no form on TBC. That can't look good. At bare minimum, you need an ES10/15 between the VCR and capture card.

What model VCR is that?

Laptop hardware specs are mostly fine. What sort of monitor? If not IPS, a typical ugly shiny screen, you could have some pretty ugly contrast/brightness/color issues that you're missing (but will definitely see later on a TV).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2020, 02:14 AM
Free Member

Thank you for your insight.

I figured Kworld would be low in the pecking order for capture cards... but it was sold at Jaycar and I assume it would be good.

Win10 sounds bad... do you think it would be worth uninstalling Win10 and installing WinXP?

I did think about purchasing the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle and capturing the videos in Premiere Pro... but it all sounded a bit too much. Is the ES10/15 a TBC unit?

My VCR is the LG RC689D VCR/DVD combo.

I just use the laptop monitor.

Thank you again for helping out!
10-19-2020, 07:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatt View Post
Is the ES10/15 a TBC unit?
No. Sort of.

The DMR-ES10 (or ES15) is a DVD recorder with a unique passthrough ability (signal in, processed, processed out, writing to DVD not required). It's somewhat of a line TBC with non-TBC frame sync. So it's TBC(ish). It can still fail on tapes. It was never meant to be a TBC replacement, but instead mostly usede as a anti-tearing filter. To be a (mostly) TBC replacement, it needs to be paired with DataVideo DVK unit. So DVK+ES10/15 is 99% TBC, though with ES10/15 downsides (posterization, some luma/IRE issues, aggressive NR even when NR "off"). It's better than no TBC whatsoever, so also not a good quality TBC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs