Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Free Member

Hi,

Can someone help me, I am generating large file sizes for around 10 minutes of capture in lossless format (which is fine for capture).

The issue is when I come to upload these files to platforms like youtube, it is taking at least a day. c.10 minutes = 5.7Gb file size.

Are there any codecs out there that I can use to compress the size down please? If so I would need a link and/or advice on how to use post capture please.

Also (an unrelated issue) I am getting inserted frames but no dropped frames as I am using a TBC1000. What could explain the reasons for inserted frames and how can I find them without sifting through all 10 minutes of individual frames.

Many thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Capture isn't streaming.

For capture, you do lossless in VirtualDub.

After capture, post-capture, you encode as needed, when needed.

Many people (most?) take captures into an editor, or restore workflow (Avisynth,etc), and mess with it, make it better, turn it into their own production. After that's done, then they encode it.

Encoding depends on usage: streaming (Youtube, etc), DVD-Video, Blu-ray (BDAV), etc.

You cannot use capture files directly for streaming, for disc, etc.

So after capture, for streaming, you need to pre-encode to a high bitrate H.264 that Youtube wants. But before you do that, you must deinterlace (QTGMC).

Hybrid will help do most of that.

Make a new thread on the TBC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: JaiFai4K (12-10-2023)
11-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Free Member

Understood thank you @lordsmurf.

What applications / downloads / editors / software do I need for thr encoding. I haven't messed around too much on the post processing side of things yet, only taking raw captures and literally uploading them directly.

I will create a new thread on the TBC issue. Thanks
11-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
selur's Hybrid: http://www.selur.de/downloads

I use that myself for many tasks now, selur has done an amazing job in creating it.

It does QTGMC + other filters + encode to several formats (H.264 mostly what I use it for, what you'll need here)

For edit, for basic cut edits, I just do VirtualDub and direct stream copy. For anything else, I use Premiere CS6. I use Womble for MPEG cut/paste, or TMPEnd SR4/5 for H.264 cut/paste.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: JaiFai4K (12-10-2023)
11-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Free Member

You ideally want to deinterlace (or detelecine if it's film/cartoon), and upscale to at least 720p before uploading. Unless they've changed recently SD uploads get decimated to 30/25 fps with not great quality, 720p (e.g 960x760 or 1440x1080 for 4:3 content) or higher will retain the full 50 or 60 frames per second. Hybrid as suggested is a nice alternative for that if you don't want to get into avisynth scripting.

Youtube doesn't stream interlaced video either, so if you upload e.g a (properly made) interlaced h.264 clip it gets deinterlaced with yadif or similar before being put up, and with 25/30 fps. Sadly many people have even failed at that and uploaded interlaced encoded as progressive video (e.g a number of music videos from big name bands) which ends up looking awful.

I think you can now use h.265 for uploads, which will retain a bit more quality for the same bitrate than h.264 at the cost of longer encoding/processing time, though h.264 should be fine as well as long as you make sure the bitrate/quality is set very high.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-02-2020)