Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-08-2020, 05:00 PM
Free Member

Hello,
Trying to capture from Sony TRV 480 camcorder.
I have it working using straight DV.
Now trying to use Huffyuv.
Get this message:
Video compressor error:
The source image format is not acceptable, (error code -2)

I have both 32 and 64 bit Vdub installed but am only currently working on 32 bit version.

Followed this: Download the 32 and 64 bit Huffyuv 2.1.1 from https://www.videohelp.com/software/HuffYUV. Once you have downloaded them, extract to a folder. Next you will need to open a command prompt as Administrator. Then run the following commands. In this example I have extracted to the C:\Utils directory.
32bit huffyuv:
rundll32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSectio n DefaultInstall 0 C:\Utils\huffyuv-2.1.1\huffyuv.inf
It did work.
Read these 2 guides:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...virtualdub.htm
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

This is what I see:
DEVICE: Microsoft DV Camera and VCR (Direct Show)
VIDEO:
Preview
Video Source grayed out
Capture Filter shows DVR controls (FF, REV, Pause , Play, etc They work)
There is a box with: VCR and tape info: SD DVCR with 525-60; Can be recorded
The 525 and 60 are puzzling to me.

Filter chain: No checks (Enable, Skip 24 bit conversion)
Compression: (No compression dvsd) , Huffyuv v2.1.1)
Select Huffyuv: Shows Format Valid depths: 24
Configure: Predict median(best) both YUY2 and RGB (No 288 threshold box)
(There are 4 check boxes, I have tried all combos, same result)
Set custom format:
Starts at 720 x 480 and this selected (Current:dvsd, 24 bits per pixel)
Other relevant choices are: 16-bit RGB, 24 RGB, 32 ARGB and YUY2 YUV 4:2:2 interleaved
All choices result in error message: (The capture device does not suppport the selected video format)

Playing the clip using VLC it shows:
Codec: DV Video (dvsd); Video Res: 720x480; Frame rate: 29.97
Decoded format: Planar 4:1:1 YUV

Maybe I can't use Huffyuv?
Grateful for any insights.
Thanks
Herb
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-08-2020, 09:07 PM
Free Member

You need to use scenalyzerlive.
11-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Uh ... huh?

Are you trying to capture MiniDV tapes, using a MiniDV camera?
Or trying to passthrough a VCR?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: burt8810 (11-09-2020)
11-08-2020, 11:34 PM
Free Member

I've just tried. Recording in HUFF can't be done using the firewire ports. VDub will only record DV using the DVSD codec, and then only the video, not audio.

If you want to capture in Huff, you'll have to use an analogue capture card/stick and the composite or S-Video connections.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: burt8810 (11-09-2020)
11-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Free Member

Your Sony DCR TRV480 is a Digital8 camcorder so I assume you have successfully captured to DV-AVI using a FireWire cable? But now you want to try capturing in HuffYUV. I have been in a similar situation as I have recently used a Sony DCR-TRV460E to capture my video8 and videoHi8 (using FireWire) to DV-AVI. I would like to revisit my tapes and capture to lossless master files (and ultimately edit/clean up and encode to a shareable format). I am only at the start of my journey and have been spending a lot of time reading the invaluable information here on Digitalfaq. Thus far I have successfully captured a short test clip from a Hi8 tape to HuffYUV and another to Lagarith, using VirtualDub. To do this I used a cable from the A/V Jack on the camcorder to the composite video and stereo audio jacks on my computer. My camcorder model is very similar to yours but I have S-Video so I have used that in recent tests (instead of the yellow composite video Jack). Either way though, to capture in HuffYUV you should use your analog cable not the FireWire cable and that should work.
This is my first post. Still more reading to do before I start posting questions.
The following users thank London for this useful post: burt8810 (11-09-2020), lordsmurf (11-09-2020)
11-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Free Member

Hi,
Thanks for all the responses.
I believe, after more reading and research, what I was trying to do was not logical.
I am playing mini tapes using just the TRV480. I am reasonably sure it records digitally. I also have some mini tapes which were recorded in analog using an old Sharp camcorder (I'm not sure of the model). When I play the Sharp tapes using the TRV480 there is a good digital DV signal being captured.

In all cases I'm using just the TRV480.

My mistake was in not realizing that the DV signal is compressed. I thought it was not. Thus trying to capture with Vdub using Huffyuv compression of the already compressed DV signal does not seem to be a logical process.

As was mentioned I could do a capture of an analog signal from the TRV480, using another device (i.e. USB dongle) then compress that using Vdub with Huffyuv. That does not seem to be a good option to me.

I am open to any corrections to my thinking and/or other approaches.

Again thanks a lot for the replies.

Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
You need to use scenalyzerlive.
Not to be argumentative just looking for information. Why do you suggest this instead of Vdub?
I have determined what I was trying to do (compress a signal that was already compressed) was not a good idea. I doubt any capture software would work.
Thanks for the reply.
Herb
The following users thank burt8810 for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-09-2020)
11-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

Herb,

You're coming up to speed nicely.

For your tapes recorded in digital format (Digital8 or D8), "capturing" them with the firewire connection is fine, tried and true. The reason I put "capture" in parens is that some would say that you aren't "capturing" the D8 video but are just transferring the already digitally stored (DV compressed) information on the tapes to files on your PC via the firewire connection. To provide playback compatibility with TV's and analog VCR's, etc. your DCR-TRV480 can also convert the digital information to analog and output it via it's analog outputs.

Your older Sharp tapes are a bit different. They are analog recordings. Your DCR-TRV480 is backwards compatible with analog Video8 and Hi8 tapes and is thus reading the analog information on the tape. It can output this by either the analog outputs or the firewire port. The firewire output will be DV compressed data from the analog information on the tape. The analog output will not yet be digitized* or compressed. In this case, the recommended capture workflow would use the analog outputs rather than the Firewire output. As you surmise, this would require a separate USB (or other) analog to digital capture device (or "card"). The reason this workflow is preferred is that the DV format compression has a number of "issues" as described by lordsmurf above.

Scenalyzer is just an alternative DV transfer program that should work fine for transferring the DV information to files on your PC. Many prefer it. There are others...

BW

* The TBC and DNR functions of your 480 technically use digital processing to work their magic on the analog tapes. Turning the TBC "On" will usually improve the captures made from the analog tapes. The DNR can also help, but it depends on the tapes so trial and error common.
The following users thank BW37 for this useful post: burt8810 (11-09-2020), London (11-10-2020)
11-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Free Member

Herb, when you captured your DV with VDub, did you get audio as well? I didn't get any audio.

Scenealyzer (or the even simpler alternative WinDV) is great for capturing DV because it will split the capture into scenes, named by the date and time of each clip. You can also easily trim, split or join your clips without using your video editor.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: burt8810 (11-09-2020)
11-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Herb, when you captured your DV with VDub, did you get audio as well? I didn't get any audio.
I don't remember. I may get a chance to try it tomorrow. I will report back.

WinDV seems to work okay.

Thanks,
Herb
11-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
For the digital MiniDV or Digital8 tapes, WinDV via digital transfer ("Firewire capture") is fine.

But for the analog tapes, Hi8/Video8/VHS/etc, you do to want to attempt to use a DV camera. You will have problems, quality will suffer. That's where analog workflows come in: VCR > TBC > capture card

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-10-2020, 05:40 AM
Free Member

For your analog recordings (video8 and Hi8), if you can acquire a playback device with S-Video output (assuming your capture device has S-Video input) it will give you more potential to eke out the best quality from your tapes.

Use VirtualDub to capture in HuffYUV or Lagarith and you will have master files to work with in the future.
11-10-2020, 06:38 AM
Free Member

What a shame that camcorder doesn't have S-Video out.

I'm going to put my Heretic's hat on and say it would be interesting to compare the DV output of those analogue tapes verses Composite Out through a USB capture stick.

Now ducking for cover...
11-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by by Hushpower
Quote:
Originally Posted by burt8810 View Post
I don't remember. I may get a chance to try it tomorrow. I will report back.
Thanks, Herb
Reporting back: I DID get audio using WinDV both audio settings worked.

I think I'm all set for basic capture.
1. Sony480 plays both analog and digital tape to DV out which I will probably capture with WinDV.

2. I found an ancient Belkin F5U228 analog to USB dongle. Amazingly found drivers that worked with Windows 7 (haven't tried with Windows 10) on the Belkin web site. Worked great with Vdub and Huffyuv which was where I was stalled.

2. Have Hauppauge HVR1950 that has analog inputs to USB output. Don't know if I'll mess with this or not.

3. I have a Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD & VCR recorder/players. Used DV input on it from Sony480 camcorder. It worked and made a playable DVD with VOB files. Haven't checked quality yet. The Samsung even controlled the Sony480. What a deal!

Now just need to select a method and get the video in computer usable form. I'll do some light editing.

Just realized I have a few VHS tapes. I'll see what they look like.

I great thanks to all.

Herb