Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-20-2020, 11:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
S-VHS machines (even if without TBC) are recommended over VHS (without TBC) for a number of reasons.

In general S-VHS have better electronics; e.g., wider bandwidth and lower nose levels than VHS machines.
I'm unsure about this one. SVHS records the luminance signal to tape at higher frequency than VHS to capture a greater horizontal resolution. SVHS also used a higher coercivity tape formulation than standard VHS, allowing the higher frequency luminance signal to be recorded. The playback circuitry obviously needs to play that higher frequency to resolve the greater resolution. But of what point is the SVHS deck's ability to resolve higher frequency information that (on a VHS recording) is not there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
The VHS signal on tape is recorded in what amounts to a s-video mode, with separate frequency spaces for luma and color information. (This applies to both VHS and S-VHS recordings) The typical VHS VCR mashes these signals back together for output via the composite (yellow) terminal in slightly overlapping frequency space, only to have to separate it again upon capture. This entails extra processing and signal separation that typically adds noise and distortion and cuts resolution that is avoided with s-video. S-video output is mainly found on S-VHS and Hi8 machines. This playback benefit applies to both S-VHS and plain old VHS recordings.
I also dont understand why most VHS machines only provided composite out rather than S video output. Wouldnt they have only needed to add another connector and tap the signal upstream of the mixing point? An option for those who didnt want to go SVHS (as most people didnt) but wanted to enjoy in playback the full picture quality of VHS recordings?

Tim
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-21-2020, 12:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
I'm unsure about this one. SVHS records the luminance signal to tape at higher frequency than VHS to capture a greater horizontal resolution. SVHS also used a higher coercivity tape formulation than standard VHS, allowing the higher frequency luminance signal to be recorded. The playback circuitry obviously needs to play that higher frequency to resolve the greater resolution. But of what point is the SVHS deck's ability to resolve higher frequency information that (on a VHS recording) is not there?
That's not it at all.

S-VHS decks separately process the luma and chroma, which was separated recorded (and stored) on the tape. s-video is "separated video".

VHS decks smash it all together (ie composited together, using the yellow composite cable), and whatever happens happens (and it's not pretty). The data not only lowers in visual quality, but can be mangled in multiple ways.

It's not about higher resulution when using S-VHS decks to play VHS tapes.

Yes, S-VHS tapes can have more/tighter/higher luma data recorded, using S-VHS decks. But that's not why S-VHS decks are needed to play VHS tapes.

Quote:
I also dont understand why most VHS machines only provided composite out rather than S video output.
It's cheap.

Quote:
Wouldnt they have only needed to add another connector
No. Internal signal processing is twice as complicated, thus more costly.

Quote:
An option for those who didnt want to go SVHS (as most people didnt) but wanted to enjoy in playback the full picture quality of VHS recordings?
Nothing. S-VHS decks have s-video, VHS decks do not. The end.

__

More thoughts...

What I find really stupid is valuations given to VCRs in modern times. A quality VHS deck was about $200 in the early 1990s. Go back to the 80s, and double or triple it. I still have some receipts for our first VCRs. Remember that inflation would make those costs exponentially more using modern dollars.

But now you can pick up a better S-VHS deck, at the same price ranges of the VHS decks in the 80s-90s. IT'S A FREAKING BARGAIN!

Too many compare a good VCR to some POS at Goodwill ($10). The late 90s and 00s had lots of VHS junk for <$100, and that also should not be a basis for price comparison. By contrast, late 90s/00s is when the best S-VHS decks were being made at 2x+ the price (again, remember inflation) to what the decks can be had for now.

- AG-1980 = $2k new in 90s/2000 dollars, now under $1k recapped in 2020 dollars
- JVC with-TBC models = ~$500 new in 90s/2000 dollars, still about ~$500 in 2020 dollars (less if not in prime condition)
- JVC non-TBC model = ~$250 new in 90s/2000s dollars, now under $200 in 2020 dollars

Used/new plays some part, but the best photo/video gear commands 50% to 200% of new prices, and non-adjusted for inflation. (Which is why I often say to buy it, use it, and resell it. It holds value.)

Being thrifty is one thing. An admirable trait! I'm thrifty! I like bargains!
But being too cheap is often just being ignorant (either willfully or unknowingly), and often also exercising negative economics (you'll spend more later because of wrong choices now).

So remember: I don't buy this gear because I like spending money. I do it because it's the tool we need to do a good job. Not "perfect" (OCD) or "professional" (mythical quality grade that doesn't exist), but simply because it does a good job.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-21-2020, 03:34 AM
Free Member

“Too many compare a good VCR to some POS at Goodwill ($10).”
I got really lucky apparently, my Christmas score is a JVC S3500U, $10!
Real clean, no remote, working great. Took me 3 years of occasional visits to finally get a payoff.
The following users thank BarryTheCrab for this useful post: JPMedia (12-21-2020)
12-21-2020, 04:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
“Too many compare a good VCR to some POS at Goodwill ($10).”
I got really lucky apparently, my Christmas score is a JVC S3500U, $10!
Real clean, no remote, working great. Took me 3 years of occasional visits to finally get a payoff.
You got an unusually amazing deal on a non-TBC deck. Kudos (again).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (12-21-2020)
12-21-2020, 08:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
No. Internal signal processing is twice as complicated, thus more costly.
Yeah, Y/C output does add some additional cost, like extra signal wires and electronic components, and extra connectors. It's not simply slapping an extra output on there, every video output needs some components to bring the signal voltages and impedance to the right levels. When you look at the video ICs in VHS decks, the mixing of Y/C is usually done in the IC itself, right before the signal is output out of the chip.

On a somewhat quality TV the difference between S-Video and composite for VHS would not be all that large. The overlap between the luma signal that a VHS tape can store and the color signal is not large, but with the larger bandwidth of SVHS and Hi8, it becomes more significant. I should note on standard VHS, the color and luma signal on tape isn't 100% separate either, there is a very slight overlap between then, which can produce a slight pattern in areas with very strong color (though the analog noise reduction circuit in VCRs with reduce it somewhat.)

What does confuse me a bit though is that even VHS duplicators and broadcast VCRs used composite. (The SVHS ones did have Y/C of course) Same with 8mm gear. Maybe having the signal go through a Y/C filter actually did had some advantage.

As for other differences between SVHS VCRs and normal ones.

On the somewhat modern JVC decks, they used the same main Video IC for the higher end (and sometimes others as well) VHS decks and the SVHS ones. They seem to have similar control ICs other than the dynamic drum stuff. The SVHS ones then have a separate ic for doing the extra SVHS processing, and either a "3D digital/TBC" or "2D digital" board. The 3d digital one includes TBC/DNR/Digital comb filtering, the 2D one in the cheaper SVHS decks seems to do comb filtering (when recording) and possibly extra noise reduction judging by the diagrams but it's not entirely clear. The mechanism seems mostly the same between VHS/SVHS from the same lineup, though the SVHS ones have this extra tape stabilizer thingy (the spinning thing left of the video head drum.)

Some of the very late JVC VHS decks seem to be either LG-made (similar to LG decks at the time internally) or ones with a different mech that I don't know who made, both of those are completely different to other JVCs with different ICs.

Panasonic ones seem a bit more confusing. There seem to be some overlap for the mechanism and control ICs for at least some of the PAL models. E.g the NV-F77 I got seems to share a lot with the NV-FS200, but the video ICs are very different. The mech (g-mechanism is mostly the same but the SVHS one has an extra brass roller thingy next to the video head drum. Later models with K and Z mechs lack this. The K mech ones like the NV-HS1000 seem to overlap a bit with the hi-fi versions, though the video ICs do differ, not sure about the later models. A lot of Panasonics consumer models released in the US seem to be completely different from the PAL ones, they even have a different mechanism, so I have no idea about those.

Last edited by hodgey; 12-21-2020 at 09:04 AM.
12-21-2020, 12:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
What does confuse me a bit though is that even VHS duplicators and broadcast VCRs used composite. (The SVHS ones did have Y/C of course) Same with 8mm gear. Maybe having the signal go through a Y/C filter actually did had some advantage.
Maybe small operation studios used VHS decks for broadcasting, As far as I know it was all U-matic, then Betacam and later on HDcam. The same for duplicators, small production houses used actual VCR's for duplication, big bucks houses used tape contact duplicators.

The composite output in u-matic and Betacam decks carry a better signal than the VHS one, later on Betacam decks carried Y/C and component and from there it went all digital SDI till today.
12-21-2020, 01:15 PM
Free Member

Yeah calling it a "broadcast deck" is maybe a bit misleading. They were probably more used for editing and medical imaging and other imaging (which would mostly be B/W). I would imagine those duplicator machinews were used for smaller-scale production since large ones would use the tape contact duplicator thingies but idk. And yeah I know u-matic was more the thing for broadcasting (or even open-reel tape for high-quality stuff). On those there were often "dub outputs" that were sort of Y/C but the c channel was the raw chroma signal from the tape. That was something that wasn't as feasible for VHS, 8mm and most other cassette-based formats as you would need to know what head was read from to decode the chroma on those, so composite or standard y/c out is required.
12-21-2020, 02:07 PM
Free Member

Yep, And the composite connectors were BNC type not RCA, The reason why SDI uses BNC today is because of cost cutting in replacing and setting up cabling for the entire studio when they moved from analog to digital back then, So someone came up with the idea to keep all the cabling in place and just change the devices, pretty smart actually. But SDI uses less cabling because it carries audio.