12-21-2020, 08:17 AM
Free Member

Hey all, I have a JVC HM-DR10000EU D-VHS VCR with a DV-in connector at the back whose input I would like to record onto tape.

Now, strictly speaking I don't need that connector but I reeeaaaally want to get it to work and record DV input to D-VHS. I have tried everything I can think off - multiple camcorders (Digital8 and MiniDV), both NTSC and PAL as well as directly recording from a PC's firewire output. None of it has worked and I have continuously been met with a black screen.

If there are any owners of this model on this forum, have you been able to get it to work? Imo it should work fine with my camcorders, all devices have the iLink logo and the VCR is from the year 2000 which isn't that old so I can't fathom it using an obscure DV format with a different bitrate or something. The only thing I can think off is that a previous owner has fried the port, but the DV board is all the way at the bottom of the machine so I can't take it out - is there a non-invasive way to test that a DV connector is working (like specific voltages to look for?)

Another weird thing is that the 4-pin DV pinouts show TPB +/- on pins 1-2 and TPA +/- on 3-4 whereas the JVC schematic shows its DV connector is wired with TPB on 3-4 and TPA on 1-2. Aren't service manuals supposed to follow convention? In that case it would mean that the connector has a different pinout and that's what's causing the issue.

If I come across a JVC camcorder from that time at a reasonable price I'll probably get that and try it. If that's not compatible either the connector is probably toast...

PS: Some of you might remember seeing me post about this before, it's been a long battle but I still have no progress and this is pretty much the only place I can think of that might be able to help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-21-2020, 12:21 PM
Free Member

As far as I know only US models allowed firewire source recording, any other model is firewire out only, but they can record pure DV to tape after the deck converts it to MPEG-2 on the fly which is kind of useless anyway.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...struction.html

Last edited by latreche34; 12-21-2020 at 12:40 PM.
12-22-2020, 07:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
...only US models allowed firewire source recording, any other model is firewire out only...
There's no "firewire out" on PAL D-VHS decks. It's disabled by hardware. The DV connector is input only... and PAL-DV only in my units, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBB360 View Post
...record DV input to D-VHS. I have tried everything I can think off - multiple camcorders (Digital8 and MiniDV), both NTSC and PAL as well as directly recording from a PC's firewire output. None of it has worked and I have continuously been met with a black screen... The only thing I can think off is that a previous owner has fried the port...
Double-check your camera(s) settings. Also, this 'combo' (DVHS-DV) is quite 'susceptible' to a "natural order of things". Try plugging the camera to the DVHS being both off, then turn on the power to the camera and then activate the D-VHS and select the DV input.

But, nevertheless, the DV connectors (and boards) on these decks were indeed notoriously flimsy. On one of my machines it was used maybe a couple of times (carefully, too)... to never work again. Hope that's NOT your case!