Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-21-2020, 06:45 PM
Free Member

Solely focusing on deinterlacing video footage, how well does hardware deinterlacing stack up against QTGMC? Is software deinterlacing always going to trump a dedicated deinterlacer?

I know the rule of thumb is to always deinterlace after capture, but I'm curious as to how well the progressive footage from a hardware deinterlacer compares to that of something processed with QTGMC. Does anyone have any comparison footage?

Thank you for any feedback and help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-22-2020, 06:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
QTGMC is superior to all available hardware -- usually significantly so.

Aliasing and ghosting is the the primary side effect. QTGMC has near-zero at times, while the hardware is noticeable even to non-video laymen.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-22-2020, 08:29 PM
Free Member

Thanks, lordsmurf. I appreciate your time.

I hope you get to enjoy the holidays!
The following users thank schiz for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-22-2020)
04-17-2024, 11:24 AM
Free Member

For me, the ghosting at QTGMC is quite noticeable. I am trying to look for other solutions as well. I use the QTGMC faster preset.
04-17-2024, 07:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBO999 View Post
For me, the ghosting at QTGMC is quite noticeable. I am trying to look for other solutions as well. I use the QTGMC faster preset.
Faster is done because it is sharper but you can try slower.
04-17-2024, 08:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

You can also not use presets, and call/switch each aspect manually.

04-18-2024, 05:22 PM
Free Member

I haven't seen a lot of direct comparisons between different hardware deinterlacers and QTGMC. If anyone has links, I'd appreciate seeing some of those comparisons.

QTGMC or any software deinterlacer should be superior on paper in that it doesn't have to do it in real time and can look a few frames forward and backwards to determine the context of how to deinterlace and if certain things are more likely to be noise vs detail I would think.

Capturing interlaced lets you try a variety of software deinterlacers though including AI later which could improve down the road. Capturing as progressive kind of bakes in whatever the hardware deinterlacer did and you can't get back the starting material from it. The exception to that possibly being a line doubler like the retrotink 2x as long as it's captured at 59.94 fps.

That being said, if you plan to view this on something like a small cell phone screen or you plan to heavily compress it for final distribution and want to keep the processing time and number of steps down, I would speculate that there's less of a difference that's going to be visible. Where you're going to see bigger differences is if you're full screening it on a large TV or a computer monitor. Seems a lot of videos end up going to YouTube these days, and the compression it does can take away some of the QTGMC advantages.

Out of curiosity, which hardware deinterlacer were you considering using?

I've got a few devices that can deinterlace, but haven't actually compared them yet - but I will eventually post a comparison versus QTGMC vs Handbrake.

They include:
Teranex 2D
DVDO iScan HD+
AJA Ki Pro (can upscale as it captures)
AJA FS1
Snell and Wilcox Quasar Ph.c (phase/motion compensated upconverter) - requires SDI source
Snell and Wilcox CVR550
ADVC-G1
Retrotink 5x
Retrotink 2x
Probably some random Extron scalers as well

Cheap upscalers are apparently better (in some cases) than other usual (non-recommended) consumer conversion chains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vyugJsLDpk

But again, that doesn't directly compare to recommended chains to see how much of a quality loss there is. Certainly would be a time and complexity savings if it was even close. Depends on your final format and the amount of quality/simplicity that makes sense to you. That being said, hardware upscalers in general aren't recommended on this site anyway including all of those that I have above. Doesn't mean I don't want to try it anyway to see what it looks like - for science!
04-18-2024, 09:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Cheap upscalers are apparently better (in some cases) than other usual (non-recommended) consumer conversion chains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vyugJsLDpk
What are the other non recommended consumer chains that are worse than that? Everything that he uses in that video seems like it’s about as bad as it gets. I always see the cheap upscalers paired with OBS and cheap VCRs. I’ve seen conversions that will have the color problems he talks about at 6 minutes and they do tutorials on YouTube saying that is a good method. Like they don’t think there is anything wrong with huge color problems. It was a huge band of green at the top.

Just out of curiosity even though I know I’m off topic what gear are you buying for testing and what all are you testing?
The following users thank Gary34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-18-2024)
04-18-2024, 11:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

That Youtuber is an idiot.

All of those scalers have pretty major artifacts compared to software. Teranex, Snell and Wilcox, Faroujda, Canopus / Grass Valley, etc. Some, like Extron are useless.

I can't type more, in pain.