Quantcast How to begin with archiving VHS? - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
01-11-2021, 07:24 AM
DANI3L DANI3L is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to archive every VHS that my parents have.
I started reading anything on this forum and I got some equipment already but I was stuck at a couple of things.

So from my VCR it outputs to my AV2HDMI (MINI) Upscaler, which I had before starting this.
And from what I've read its not good for quality because the upscaler does some nasty stuff inside.
But the problem is that I need the HDMI out because my Capture Card which is (Razer Ripsaw HD)
Has only HDMI input, so this is my problem currently.

What should I do?

About the software I use OBS with resolution of 352x480 25FPS PAL which I read is the best for VHS.
I use OBS because It uses the NVENC encoder from my RTX 2060 gpu which from what I heard can really help in getting the best out of the VHS or anything at all..

Please correct me where I'm wrong. I really want to get the best quality from the VHS... because these stuff are old and I'm afraid they will stop working one day.
And what can I do about the RCA TO HDMI? Is there any special boxes that dont upscale it?
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
01-11-2021, 07:36 AM
themaster1 themaster1 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 239
Thanked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Vhs is either 480i (ntsc)( i= interlaced half frames) or 576i (pal).
The lowest signal your card suppirt is 480p ( p=full frames) so that's a problem.
352480 is ok (half D1 dvd), but i suggest you record 720480 or 704 x480.
I use nvenc but not for vhs capture, it's not the right codec. Lagarith or huffyuv is just right.
Best luck to you
Reply With Quote
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: archivarious (01-12-2021)
  #3  
01-11-2021, 08:30 AM
DANI3L DANI3L is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried at 720x480 but because the AV2HDMI is upscaling it to 720p or 1080p it gets stretched and has black bars at the bottom and top..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
01-11-2021, 09:16 AM
JPMedia JPMedia is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 146
Thanked 40 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANI3L View Post
About the software I use OBS with resolution of 352x480 25FPS PAL which I read is the best for VHS.
I use OBS because It uses the NVENC encoder from my RTX 2060 gpu which from what I heard can really help in getting the best out of the VHS or anything at all..
Do not use OBS for analog video capture. For best results use VirtualDub or AmaRecTV.

I have to ask where you got the advice to use OBS for analog video capture? Is there a particular YouTuber or Twitch streamer who is telling newcomers to use OBS?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
01-11-2021, 11:42 AM
latreche34 latreche34 is online now
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,304
Thanked 199 Times in 184 Posts
Obviously you've been doing it wrong for a long time, There is a section in this forum about capture card recommendation just read it. and stop using OBS, It's a streaming software not a capture software.
Reply With Quote
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: JPMedia (01-11-2021)
  #6  
01-11-2021, 07:26 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 10,466
Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANI3L View Post
to my AV2HDMI (MINI) Upscaler, which I had before starting this.
Nope. That's not useful here. These work well enough to play an old analog game system on your HDTV, maybe even connected a VCR to a HDTV (debatable), but that's it. It has no place in a capture workflow.

Quote:
And from what I've read its not good for quality because the upscaler does some nasty stuff inside.
Correct.

Quote:
But the problem is that I need the HDMI out because my Capture Card which is (Razer Ripsaw HD)
Has only HDMI input, so this is my problem currently.
What should I do?
You have SD source. You need a (quality!) SD capture card.
Not an HD card. Save the HD card for HD sources.
Don't use the wrong tool for a task. Don't bang the screw with a hammer, don't hit the nail with a screwdriver. Yes, it will "work", but badly, and it'll look awful.

Quote:
About the software I use OBS
Nope. Again, wrong tool.
OBS is streaming recording (not capture!) software.
Analog video capture is not a digital stream that should be recorded like a webcam.

Quote:
with resolution of 352x480 25FPS PAL which I read is the best for VHS.
Nope. PAL VHS is about 250-300x576 resolution. While you can capture it as 352x576 (Half D1 PAL), there days it's more ideal to capture as 720x576 max res SD (Full D1). The main reason being that software understand Full D1 better than Half D1, and not everything scales as well as it should.

Quote:
I use OBS because It uses the NVENC encoder from my RTX 2060 gpu which from what I heard can really help in getting the best out of the VHS or anything at all..
Uh ... huh? No.

Quote:
I really want to get the best quality from the VHS... because these stuff are old and I'm afraid they will stop working one day.
Standard workflow for quality = VCR > TBC > capture card
Not just any VCR/TBC/card, but items known for quality.
TBC is not optional, some form of TBC is required when working with consumer analog formats.

Quote:
And what can I do about the RCA TO HDMI? Is there any special boxes that dont upscale it?
I have one. Use it where it belongs. It doesn't go in the capture hardware chain. (Some would say "trash it", which is harshly true in a capture-only sense. But it's a tool for another non-capturing task, so leave it in that drawer.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
Vhs is either 480i (ntsc)( i= interlaced half frames) or 576i (pal).
The lowest signal your card suppirt is 480p ( p=full frames) so that's a problem.
352480 is ok (half D1 dvd), but i suggest you record 720480 or 704 x480.
I use nvenc but not for vhs capture, it's not the right codec. Lagarith or huffyuv is just right.
Best luck to you
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMedia View Post
Do not use OBS for analog video capture. For best results use VirtualDub
^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANI3L View Post
When I started exploring about this I found this thread
That thread has bad advice.

For starters, the idea that VHS is 320x240 is a myth from decades ago. That hails from the VCD days, because users confused "240 lines" of analog resolution (240x if analog was notated in digital terms, which it isn't) with x240 of digital. The axis are not the same. VHS is interlaced, x480 is fixed, and 320x480 is a max theoretical with Kell factor (theory v. practice) whereas actual resolution is in the sub-300x480 range.

To sum it up, the poster there ("koala") is giving really bad resolution advice. (He recovers in later posts, somewhat, in discussing VirtualDub, need to capture 720x576 and deinterlace/resize in post-capture.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANI3L View Post
What can I do about the Capture Card? Should I get a different RCA TO USB Card? like the Elgato one?
Someone said I need to get a TBC, Do I really need to?
Yes, SD card. The exact card suggested depends on OS. What are you using?

No, no Elgato (which earned the nickname "Elcrapo")

Yes, some form of TBC is required, it's not optional. Without TBC, image look awful (wiggles, noise), dropped frames lead to audio sync skew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Obviously you've been doing it wrong for a long time,
Long time? I don't think that's his OBS forum post.

Quote:
There is a section in this forum about capture card recommendation just read it.
I need to update that.

Quote:
and stop using OBS, It's a streaming software not a capture software.
Correct.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (01-12-2021)
  #7  
01-12-2021, 07:32 AM
DANI3L DANI3L is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, Thank you very much for replying!
You really informed me, I have learned alot.

So yea, I stopped using OBS and Installed VirtualDub2.
And now I will record on 720x576 like you said

About the capture card,
I now understand that HDMI is out of this work, so I'm searching for an RCA TO USB Capture Card...
What do you think about the AverMedia EZMAKER 7?
I know the best of the best are these ATI Wonder Cards with a custom XP Machines but nah Its just an overkill for me...
I just need a recommendation for a decent RCA TO USB Capture Card

About the TBC, I actually never knew about these things before, yesterday I sat and learned about them
The problem is they are really expensive from eBay and I couldn't find any in my country...

I tried hooking up a cheap EasyCap card for like $10 to my VCR and I understand what you say about wiggles and noises, but they were not so big and noticeable, maybe because my parents really saved these vhs players and cassete tapes like new, I don't know..

Currently I will have to deal with that, maybe later I will consider buying a TBC..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
01-13-2021, 07:30 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 10,466
Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,574 Posts
AIW isn't really "overkill", but simply a quality option. Another option is the ATI 600 USB and clones.

Wiggles are noise may not be "not so big" in a tiny preview window on the small computer monitor. But they are huge and distracting when you watch the footage on an HDTV. Even fullscreen on a monitor. If you're only watching videos on your phone, I guess so. But even on a tiny video, it's still obvious.

Timing issues are inherent to the VHS format, no amount of "like new" can prevent it.

Line TBC (ie, ES10/15, or better S-VHS VCR with line TBC) are what remove/prevent the wiggles. Not the external frame TBC, which is there to do frame-level corrections, which prevents dropped frames, which prevent audio sync loss.

Understand now?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Tags
vhs

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to begin restoring VHS video? ragu0012 Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 44 10-13-2017 01:52 AM
Where do I begin? dmaddox44 Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 7 01-19-2010 07:53 PM
Programs begin to open -- but then close ? ninjastriker Computers 10 05-22-2006 08:48 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM