01-25-2021, 06:26 AM
Free Member

Hi,

To keep story short:
-I have some old recorded TV shows (cartoons) I would like to capture and clean.
-I tried it with my old VHS and random TV card I had through composite, and it went pretty well. Recordings are in good condintions, and cartoons are not chalenging.
-I lost that TV card by mistake, and i manage to get better VCR for free.

Now, i would like to set up capture hardware as good as possible with what i have, and without spending tons of money.
My setup:
-PC where i can install required OS
-VCR Thomson VPH 6600N. I couldn't found any info about it, so only thing i know is that it was expensive at the time, and have 4 heads. I could find service manual though, attaching it.
-I am looking for Ati All-In-Wonder, but without luck right now
-I found that TMC is desirable, but it could be build in in VCR, can be standalone, generaly improves quality, but not really sure if i need it. Is there topic where i could read more about them? Could't find any

Could you look at it, and give me your thoughs what i could do with it, where can be problems, etc?

Also, i have few questions which i could find answer for:
-How to connect VCR to capture card. I tested it with composite, but wanted to use RGB, since i'm most familiar with it. I checked service manual, and it looks like i have right pins in scart connector, connected to "B", "G", and something unreadable (i hope for "R"). Is it th right idea? If i buy capture card with VGA/DVi port will it work? Attaching snipped section of schematic.
-What differnce in quality could be between my setup, and good setup? Does anyone have some footage comparision?
-Any Ati All-in-wonder card will be good? As long as it have connections i need?
-Should i capture footage in raw format, clean and compress? Or compressing before cleaning wouldn't make a difference?

Basicaly, i have some knowlege about video signals from retro consols, i read some articles and threads, but needs some clarficartions and help with sorting out all this things.

Thanks for any help

Attached Images
File Type: png RGB.PNG (25.2 KB, 4 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf thomson_vph-6600n_r5000.pdf (5.34 MB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-25-2021, 07:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
What cartoons?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-25-2021, 12:21 PM
Free Member

Gummybears, super baloo, Chip and dale rescue rangers, cat tip top, "Inch High, Private Eye" and some others. Few episodes from everythink, but they have local dubbing (polish) so i would like to capture them.
Also, tons fo nostalgia