digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   JVC HR-S9600EU plays Region 1 NTSC VHS tape? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11446-jvc-s9600eu-plays.html)

stoki17 01-27-2021 04:15 PM

JVC HR-S9600EU plays Region 1 NTSC VHS tape?

I bought a Sony RDR AT-200 dvd recorder / player, and now i would like buy JVC HR-S9600EU S-VHS VCR. With these two devices, can I already digitize and play region 1 ntsc format vhs tapes?

hodgey 01-28-2021 05:24 AM

The Sony should be able to accept the PAL60 that the VCR will output when playing NTSC tapes yeah (and the DVR can output it as normal NTSC) so it should work as long as the VCR can play the tape properly. I think the TBC/DNR in the JVC only works when playing PAL tapes, (or at least has been like that on the JVCs I've trued). The slightly older Sonys (RDR-HX_50 and newer) have some tbc/vertical jjitter correction, though not quite as capable as the often used Panasonic DMR-ES10. This model is based around the same chipset as those ones so I would think it will work similarly but I don't know for sure. If you have or can find a cheap vcr with NTSC playback and a NTSC tape you could test the setup before investing in the JVC.

EDIT: The DVR will of course not be able to record anything with macrovision copy protection, and it will put macrovision on the video outputs if it detects it on the imputs. I'm not sure how they react to a NTSC tape with macrovision when looking at the direct output, On PAL ones the RDR-HX750 you don't get massive brightness fluctuations like some other devices (e.g the DMR-ES10), though I haven't looked at whether the video brightness is completely unaffected.

Eric-Jan 01-29-2021 11:33 AM

The Sony RDR AT-200 can be used for copying (as passthrough) Macrovision protected VHS tapes, the Sony RDR AT-200 has component video output,
and when you set it in progressive mode there's no macrovision signal on the component video output, you do need a good capture device/card that has these component video inputs, the software should support it too, like the intensity Shuttle with the Media Express software.
But my guess is the Sony RDR AT-200 gives already a good steady signal (as passthrough) on composite and s-video out too, no need for any external TBC.
btw. VHS tapes have no region codes that's only with DVD's, a tape is NTSC (4.43/3.58), PAL, or (ME)SECAM and pre-recorded copyright material can have Macrovision, ....not always, also depending on the recording, the sound can be HiFi, or only analog on the linear tracks recorded.

For PAL or NTSC you should look into the manual of the Sony RDR AT-200 how to set PAL or NTSC mode, it is preferred for most capture devices to use only PAL (50) or NTSC (60) PAL60 or NTSC50 was made for CRT TV's to accept.
There is no need to convert your capture to a different TV-system, with converting you loose quality.

lordsmurf 02-01-2021 02:21 PM

NTSC tape in PAL deck is not a true NTSC or PAL signal. It's a quasi signal, it's messy to work with.

As stated, NTSC tape in NTSC VCR. PAL tape in PAL VCR.
Multi-standard VCRs are also almost all terrible decks.

latreche34 02-01-2021 02:25 PM

Only multi-standard VCR's that has the identification 625/525 on the front panel can record/playback PAL in native PAL and NTSC in native NTSC (3.58 MHz), The likes of Samsung 5000 are just convenient playback VCR's, not for capturing.

stoki17 02-03-2021 12:50 PM

Thank you for your help! What kind of "capture card" do you recommend? What should I buy? For me, the most important thing is the image quality of the video.

latreche34 02-03-2021 01:35 PM

There is a thread here about recommended capture cards, just navigate to it.