Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-11-2021, 08:50 AM
Free Member

I have set up a Diamond VC500 USB on my Windows 10 64 bit PC and can
capture with no dropped frames (as long as Enable audio playback is not selected). But 1 problem persists...

In VirtualDub 1.9.11 under Device I select
'1 Conexant Polaris Video Capture (DirectShow)' but it will not display the video source (not even a blue screen of the VCR). This makes it difficult to monitor the capture.
Under Audio I select
'0 Capture device'.

Under Video, it is set to Overlay, Video source is Video SVideo, Capture Pin and Capture Filter are set correctly to PAL_I.

Under Device, only '0 Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32) (VFW)' shows the source video. But as I understand VFW is a very old technolgy and not the way we monitor our captures with VirtualDub.

I know a lot of people do use the VC500 USB in Win10 x64, so this must be solvable.

Please can yo offer some advice on getting the DirectShow working for the VC500 USB?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2021, 09:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
"Microsoft WDM Image Capture" translates to WDM from VFW.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-12-2021, 06:01 AM
Free Member

I don't have any objection to using the '0 Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32) (VFW)' per se, but all other posts I have read regarding using the VC500 USB say select '1 Conexant Polaris Video Capture (DirectShow)' under the Device menu.

When I select the DirectShow device there is no video displayed only audio is heard. Captures do work though.
When I select the VFW device, video is displayed but there is no audio. Video monitoring is very jerky when using VFW.

Also noticed video does display with the DirectShow device + Preview when I select Histogram. As soon as I turn off Histogram, the source video dissappears again.
Same with the Cropping window. Video appears in there, but when I close Cropping the video dissappears.

Any ideas how to get DirectShow working in VirtualDub? Or is there a different setting/option I could try in setting up VirtualDub?

Last edited by London; 02-12-2021 at 06:31 AM.
02-12-2021, 03:11 PM
Free Member

Try VirtualDub2. The capture function has been improved.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/
The following users thank Cactus for this useful post: hodgey (02-14-2021)
02-12-2021, 04:53 PM
Free Member

Works in AmarecTV.

Seems to be a DirectShow problem within VirtualDub. I prefer to stay with 1.9.11 anyway as its stable.

Capturing fine, but the dislplay dissappears when I close the Histogram.
02-12-2021, 07:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Try VirtualDub2. The capture function has been improved.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/
It is NOT improved!

It's just different. And for many cards, different in a bad way. VirtualDub2 actually induces dropped frames, especially at capture start. That didn't happen in 1.9.x, 1.10.x, or even earlier versions of FilterMod/2.

For some systems, and some cards, other VirtualDub versions needed to be tried. But also settings need to be tweaked and tested -- and not even necessary identical to any guide. The DirectX setting is a common problem (main>Preferences>Display), but also the capture settings (capture>Timing).

Another problem is graphics cards, namely nVidia, and you need to set VirtualDub to use integrated and not the crappy whizbang card (because they fancy card is a paperweight for video, video is not video games).

02-13-2021, 03:46 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It is NOT improved!
For me, using a cheap USB capture dongle, it's improved greatly, specially with previewing with histograms. I don't experience any dropped frames.
02-13-2021, 04:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
For me, using a cheap USB capture dongle, it's improved greatly, specially with previewing with histograms. I don't experience any dropped frames.
Well, again, it's different. Some cards do work that previously would not. However, equally as many (maybe even more?) cards that had be perfect in 1.9.x are now problematic. When 1.9.x does not work (after thorough testing settings and tweaks, not just childish/wimpy giving up prematurely), I do suggest 1.10.x and FM next, and finally the new 2 fork. So I'm not anti-2, but you do need to understand that it's not "better" or an "upgrades". 2 is an unofficial fork. The main reason 2 exists is for the codecs in/out, and it does well at it. But some filters, capturing, etc -- there are issues.

I'm glad that 2 is working for you.

Quote:
cheap USB capture
Specify.

02-13-2021, 06:05 AM
Free Member

Ok just an update, I have got VirtualDub 1.9.11 displaying the source video now.

Under (main) Options, Preferences...Display, I have the following 3 selected (which I think were the default before I tried other options):-
Use DirectX for display panes
Use DirectX overlay surfaces
Disable accelerated display when inactive

Under the Capture AVI... mode, Device, I have selected:-
1 Conexant Polaris Video Capture (DirectShow)

Under Video, I have selected 'Preview'

Under Video, Preview acceleration... I have selected 'Non-Interlaced - field rate, even field first'. Selecting this makes the preview screen appear. When I close VirtualDub and relaunch it, the setting is remembered are video appears.

On a side note, just to say I am not promoting the Diamond VC500 USB as an ideal capture device. I understand it is not one of the suggested/highly regarded devices. But being that it is readily available and fairly low cost it is understandably popular with many who are just getting into video capture. So in the interests of helping others at the start of their journey, I hope these settings may solve your issue if you encounter the same problem I had.
Others have reported that selecting Audio, '0 Capture device' instantly made their video appear. That didn't make any difference to mine though.

I will just repeat that my preference for using Device, '1 Conexant Polaris Video Capture (DirectShow)' is because that is what every post I have read states. Also my preference to use Video, Preview instead of Overlay is because that is what I learned in the VirtualDub Settings Guide on here.

My main capture machine is an offline Sony Vaio WinXP machine, but who knows how long that will last. At least I have an option with this Win10 machine now.

Thank you all for your patience and help in these wonderful forums. It would not be possible to get this far without your learned experience and advice. After many months of reading and testing I am now looking forwards to getting out of the Capture, Record, Transfer forum and into the Restore, Filter, Improve Quality forum
02-14-2021, 04:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Specify.
I've got two of these cheap $20 EM28XX USB capture devices, GrabBee clones. I know, I know. First thing on my list if I can manage to get a job is a proper TBC though.