02-05-2021, 07:28 PM
Free Member

Hi!

I've looked through other forum posts and have been only able to find one other person with a similar issue that went unresolved. I've been trying to follow guides on how to use virtualdub to capture video and cannot get the volume meter option to work. When I select the option from the drop down menu, I'm able to see the meter but there is no option to adjust the volume itself. This is leading to crackled sounding audio. Has anyone experienced this before? I've attached a picture of what it looks like.

I'm using windows 10 and a hauppauge USB-Live2 capture device. I'm also using VirtualDub2 because none of the other versions would allow me to preview the video capture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg volumebarerror.jpg (31.6 KB, 7 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2021, 03:31 AM
Free Member

Are you sure that virtualdub has adjustable record level? Does it say so in the instructions?
02-06-2021, 03:45 AM
Free Member

I think it should, this passage is from the guide on this site:

"Go back to the Audio menu. This time go down to Volume Meter. The Balance should be in the middle, meaning both the left and right stereo get the same amount. The Volume control bar should be at about 50 to 75 percent. Never put volume at 100 percent, as it will often lead to distorted, cracking audio. The left side of the slider bar is 0 percent, the right side is 100 percent. Click the X when done."
02-06-2021, 05:07 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWa1rus View Post
I think it should, this passage is from the guide on this site:

"Go back to the Audio menu. This time go down to Volume Meter. The Balance should be in the middle, meaning both the left and right stereo get the same amount. The Volume control bar should be at about 50 to 75 percent. Never put volume at 100 percent, as it will often lead to distorted, cracking audio. The left side of the slider bar is 0 percent, the right side is 100 percent. Click the X when done."
The instructions seem a little ambiguous here. I think they are only talking about the meter. When they say "the volume control bar" I suspect they mean "the meter". They are telling you what the meter should read, not the level at which a fader should be set.

The next paragraph talks about using the Windows Mixer to set record levels.

I dont use virtual dub for capture. Just trying to make sense of the instructions for you.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-06-2021)
02-06-2021, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

You definitely have to adjust the "record volume" in the mixer or in the sound card's control software. The Virtualdub volume meter just gives you a reading of what's happening.
The following users thank BW37 for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-06-2021)
02-11-2021, 03:28 AM
Free Member

Ah that makes sense! My confusion was that I'm not seeing my device on the sound card mixer but its recording audio through virtualdub still, so I figured the volume control was through virtualdub. Has anyone run into this issue with a hauppage USB 2.0 before where the device wont show up on the sound card mixer?

Tags
audio capture, hauppauge usb-live2, virtualdub, virtualdub capture, windows 10