digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Can you use Hauppauge USB Live 2 with OBS? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11486-hauppauge-usb-live.html)

cptsqweky 02-06-2021 09:33 AM

Can you use Hauppauge USB Live 2 with OBS?

I've got a Hauppauge USB Live 2 to connect my VCR to my computer, but the Hauppauge software isn't particularly good. I've tried using OBS but it won't recognize the USB Live 2. It just doesn't even appear as an option for capture even though the Hauppauge Capture recognizes it immediately. Does anyone know how to get OBS to see it or am I stuck with the proprietary software?

lollo2 02-06-2021 10:21 AM

Use AmarecTV and a lossless codec with your Hauppauge USB Live 2

jwillis84 02-06-2021 04:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There are a few different versions.

If you look on the bottom of the box, if you have the box.

2008-2011 USB-Live2 model 610, SL-610-V8.1-ENG
2016-2017 USB-Live2 model 610, SL-610-V1.9-ENG

Just as an example.

Using the SL-610-V8.1-ENG, and OBS 25.0.8 (64 bit) on Windows 7 x64

It shows up as a [ Hauppague Cx23100 Video Capture ] device in - Properties for "Video Capture" device

The audio will start playing automatically if the [Audio Output Mode] is set to "Output desktop audio (DirectSound)"

And it is (Not) set to "Use custom audio device", if it is set it will be silent, the audio source will not work property with that checkbox checked.

The video will be dark or black, no picture if connected to the S-Video Input because the device driver will automatically select the Composite Input. To get a picture you have to press the Crossbar button and select S-Video as the Input from the Left dropdown box.

OBS is not the best capture program if your seeking a raw capture tool, it wants to process the video into some type of streaming or pvr lossy format.

VirtualDub is the go to tool if your on XP or Vista.. and it kind of works on Windows 7

But I've become a recent big fan of AMCap by Noel Danjou

AMCap was last updated in 2017 and runs in Demo mode until purchased, but its low cost and has a nice long history with Windows 7, 8.1 and 10

AMCap was the name for ActiveMovie Capture, the Directshow C++ sample application included with the Microsoft Platform SDK Source from many years ago.

But this AMCap is a total rewrite that had lots of input into its evolution from users, so it has a lot of useful features and lots of bug fixes.

One feature I like a lot is Ctrl+G throws the current Directshow Graph up in GraphEdit automatically, so you can see and study whats actually going on underneath between the Device Drivers and the Filters. I don't know of a single other program that will do that. It also lets you export the Graphs via the ROT table if you have some other debug tool. And it does support MPEG capture. So I tend to think of it as a "Modern " version of VirtualDub without the Editor part.

VirtualDub is still very useful for a lot of its legacy filters and to someone who grew up on it. I'm not saying abandon it.. but AMCap is very clean and light and surprisingly versatile once you read the Help.

I've also learned that TEE filters are very very important for buffering unstable or interrupted capture sources for maintaining audio video sync and handling glitches in the data stream. Ctrl+G shows them being used generously in both audio and video streams that AMCap puts together for Directshow captures.

AMCap works fine with USB-Live2

It seems silly to me how I dismissed AMCap for so long.. before taking a closer look at it.. now its what I fire up first.

PS. "forehead Smack"

The Most important thing AMCap will do for you (No One Else Will) is it lets you select the Video Renderer from among (Four) choices.

This is Hugely important when the chosen Video Renderer will not properly handle the Preview or Capture Pin output and displays as Grey, Black or Screwed up Weeves of color mess on screen. There are a lot of cases where this occurs across many different devices.

Again

AMCap will let you set this as an option in its Setup menu.. no other tool will.

I would not say the TEE Filters takes the place of an external TBC or Frame Synchronizer.. but they seem to hang on to the last video frame and audio sample, and keep outputting it.. such that the stream doesn't abort the capture or worse.. like crash your operating system. - That is useful.

With VirtualDub.. I've had stuttering and glitches.. which AMCap "glides" right on through.

lordsmurf 02-06-2021 05:30 PM

OBS is streaming screen recording software, not analog capture software. Wrong tool, stop trying to use it.

You need VirtualDub.

Not VirtualDub2.

WinTV is lousy software, yes. Always was --- except for the PVR-250/350 MPEG hardware cards many years ago (because, as always, all rules have exceptions).

cptsqweky 02-15-2021 10:50 AM

So, AmCap give me picture but no sound and Amarec Gives me sound but no picture. As for VirtualDub, it's probably just me being stupid but I couldn't get it to work at all.

jwillis84 02-15-2021 12:37 PM

Try this:

AMCap

1. devices - Hauppauge USB-Live2
2. options - Video Device - Set As Audio Source

lollo2 02-15-2021 05:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

One feature I like a lot is Ctrl+G throws the current Directshow Graph up in GraphEdit automatically, so you can see and study whats actually going on underneath between the Device Drivers and the Filters. I don't know of a single other program that will do that.
Using DirectShow Filter Graph Spy you can "obtain" the used Graph from any capture software. Attached few example ;-)