11-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Premium Member

Hi,
My final question. I followed your guide for AVI capturing. I have the new Huffy codec Huffy v2.1.1 CCESP patch v0.2.5
Ive read around dvdrhelp, and peeps suggest using RGB format output to reduce crashes on machines. I followed your settings, but there is a new setting with the new codec. there is a check box called "ignore is-interlaced flag", what is it?? i looked for documentation but none found and if it helps. I understand that what im using is for editing purposes hence the huge file size. Should i be seeing the scanlines?? i have another cap where the lines a extremely visible during action. Am i just missing the point?? please enlighten me.
here is my file:

test cap using huffy

settings were
field threshold 480
always suggest RGB
enable full size output

yuy2 method
predict left fastest

rgb compression
predict left fastest

here is the same file converted to wmv for web distribution using windows media encoder.
same file but encoded in wmv

so far it seems better to capture in mpeg, and convert to divx or wmv from there rather than avi.
- strangepork
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

You need to perform an adaptive deinterlace at some point in time. WMV is not an interlace format. This may seem lengthy, but this is how I would do it:

1) Capture AVI or MPEG-2, interlaced
2) Re-encode to the desired output resolution and run an adaptive de-interlace in TMPGENC PLUS, but encode to an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 file. Use a high bitrate (1000k over max for the resolution).
3) Encode the new MPEG to WMV in WMV encoder software

At one point in time, I would have used CLEANER 5 or CLEANER XL for this, but that software has fallen out of my favor in past years. Crashes a lot. It had the option to do adaptive deinterlace (auto) and save to Windows Media formats.

Will you get quality loss with 3-step capture/encode? Not likely, just follow my advice on bitrate in step 2. In fact, all these steps are being taken because of concerns on deinterlace quality!

What is you desired final output res in WMV format? I can suggest step 2 settings if I know your step 3 settings.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

1) Capture AVI or MPEG-2, interlaced
=================================
I can convert to mpeg-2 and the quality is great and no scanlines. I can convert the mpeg from the AIW to divx. I have my PS2 hooked up via svideo, and im using your faq on mpeg capture. IM using the high quality mpeg2 dvd settings that you have. Would it be different for games??

Also on the AVI huffy settings there is no interlaced option. But i did set it to 480. On mpeg capturing there is the drop down for interlaced.

====================================
Re-encode to the desired output resolution and run an adaptive de-interlace in TMPGENC PLUS,
================================================== =
ive used tmpgenc before, so ill get back to you on that.

Right now as it is, mpeg to divx seems to be the way to go, to eliminate scanlines. If i try to encode the mpeg using windows media encoder, i get errors.

Basically what im trying to do is find a good way to capture game tournatment footage, encode it for the web. my desired resolution, is whatever high quality and fast downloading can allow. more or less in the ball park of 30mb or less.
At the same time, my initial capture should be ready for editing. I know ive said this before, but mpeg capturing seems to work fine with no scanlines. But would mpeg be preffered for editing??? In your faq your suggest AVI mjpeg or huffy, but whew!!! mjpeg is horrible, and not only is huffy big, but the quality is what you saw.

im out of breath!!!!
thanks in advance...

- strangepork
11-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The HuffYUV codec is not meant for progressive. It'll likely capture scanlines in progressive mode, makes a mess.

DIVX and XVID can be interlaced, some of them, at least, and they play back progressive on the PC.

MPEG is no good for editing. Not in general, though you can often get away with it. I do it quite a bit myself.

Software like Premiere can export WMV. So can Procoder. Several can do it.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!