02-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I'm trying to adjust the tracking on a Panasonic NV-HS1000. I found the manual online and it says to press the + and - buttons simultaneously. I'm not sure if I need to do this on the original remote as I don't have it, because it appears to not do anything with the buttons on the front panel. There is a shift button but trying that with the + - buttons doesn't appear to work either.

The reason I'm trying to do this is so that I can lock the tracking and stop auto tracking from engaging whenever a unrecorded section of tape playback between scenes on a VHS-C tape. This causes tracking artifacts for a couple of seconds when the video returns and makes perfect captures more involving.

Any insight on this would be appreciated, thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-18-2021, 03:43 PM
Free Member

Did you try Ch+ and Ch-, Keep in mind that manual tracking is only good for certain time before the it starts to drift due to tape stretching or shrinkage, age of tape ...etc. If you have recordings separated by noise it is preferable to capture them individually.
02-18-2021, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Assuming it behaves the same as the US AG-1980 model (or so many other Panasonic models, for that matter), press either the tracking + or - button on the front panel (no other buttons are involved) to adjust tracking in one direction or the other. Just pressing one of these buttons will disengage the auto-tracking. Each press of the + or - can be a rather small adjustment. If you hold down either button for a moment, it should be the same as pressing the button several times. The player is an excellent tracker, so it may take a large manual adjustment to see tracking differences. To re-engage the auto-tracking, press + and - buttons simultaneously. Pressing both simultaneously also disengages when in auto-tracking.

Regarding the tracking artifacts you see between recordings on the tape (i.e. each time the recording stops and starts between segments), that's a pretty common experience for me with this model. It happens at the beginning of tapes as well. I'm not sure that disengaging the auto-tracking would work to avoid this, but I haven't really tried. So maybe that can work. It sounds like a good idea. But it could be the player unavoidably re-engages auto-track when it transitions from the "no signal" gaps between recordings.

If you don't have any luck with that approach, one thing I have had some success with, although it can put some wear on the machine if done too much, is to do a quick/short rewind from Play mode (i.e. rewind while still playing) after the video has played for a moment on the next segment and the auto-tracking has picked an ideal setting. This "trick" can keep the tracking settings that the auto-tracking settled on before rewinding and hopefully play back from the beginning of the segment without re-calibrating the auto tracking. It doesn't always work, but I've had some success. The reason it might work is because you have not stopped the tape from playing. Once you stop and start the player, auto-tracking process starts over and must spend some time re-calibrating settings. However, if I rewind too far (back to the prior segment), I think it will go through the whole auto-tracking calibration again because of the transition from no signal to the signal on the next segment.

Far from ideal, I know. Just relaying my experiences with the US model I have. Best of luck to you.
The following users thank keaton for this useful post: madwiz92 (02-19-2021)
02-19-2021, 09:48 AM
Free Member

Hm, I don't remember getting tracking adjustment to work with the front buttons, had to use an universal remote (a panasonic VCR remote from around the same time may work too.) The remotes have tracking +/- buttons on them. I remember trying with a remote from a newer NV-SD230, but I don't remember if the tracking buttons on that worked or not.
02-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
do a quick/short rewind from Play mode (i.e. rewind while still playing) after the video has played for a moment on the next segment and the auto-tracking has picked an ideal setting. This "trick" can keep the tracking settings that the auto-tracking settled on before rewinding and hopefully play back from the beginning of the segment without re-calibrating the auto tracking.
Thanks for the tip keaton, I've been essentially doing what you mentioned to trick the machine into avoiding the auto tracking engaging and it works well to get a clean capture.

With that mentioned, I have some great news. I was able to program a Logitech Harmony 650 remote to give me tracking control and it works! The NV-HS1000 code for the Logitech Harmony has limited button commands available, and is missing tracking buttons. I figured there may be a chance a different Panasonic VCR model could offer more buttons on the Harmony remote. Here is how I figured out the codes for the remote to gain tracking control.

The NV-HS1000 ships with the Panasonic VEQ1562 remote. The replacement universal remote for that model at remote-control-world.eu is the NS124. The NS124 is a universal remote specific for certain Panasonic models that share the same IR "library", and it lists the compatible models here:
https://www.remote-control-world.eu/...acement-p-2174

I simply picked a random Panasonic model listed and programmed the Harmony remote for that model, hoping it may give me the tracking control buttons on the Harmony remote screen. The model that worked is the Panasonic NV-SD410. It gives a ton of additional Panasonic specific commands. Make sure the slider on the front of the VCR labelled Remote Mode is set to 1 for control by an IR remote.

I just wanted to update this post to give a small contribution back to all the information I've learned from this community.