02-22-2021, 04:52 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I've gotten my XP computer setup which is the last part I needed. However, I can't get the ATI AIW X600 Pro drivers to install correctly, and I haven't found anything online to resolve the issue.

Here are the issues that appear during installation.

ATI Decoder Installation
1. CLNavX.ax failed to register
2. cladr.ax failed to register
3. CLVSD.ax failed to register
4. The memory could not be written

ATI Multimedia Center Installation
5. Invalid index

Other (random crashes)
6. VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands

I did manage to get ATI MMC installed once, but it was missing the capture functionality, so I tried to install it again. I routinely get the issues above when trying to reinstall even on fresh XP installs.

I'm running XP SP3 Home Edition. I have attached pictures of the issues to show them more clearly. They are numbered to match the issues above. These issues happen in the order they are numbered.

I'm not sure why the installation is failing in this way (I'm using the original installation CD that came with the AIW X600 Pro).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-23-2021, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Sorry you're having such trouble.

If it helps at all, I had success on an XP SP2 machine (not sure SP3 would cause all your issues, but no way for me to be sure), using an X600 Pro install disc posted to the forum. Start reading from this post http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post60174 to see what I used and how I installed. I'd suggest at least trying to remove/uninstall anything video related before starting, if not another fresh XP install to start from. If you have some hard drive imaging software, you could make backups of the hard drive or maybe use the XP Restore Point software to help you in the future so you don't have to keep reinstalling XP from scratch to get to known good state

The forum thread goes on a long journey after that to get the correct ATI I/O connector to use for that card. Hopefully you already have the correct gear there and don't need to get into all of that. You could try downloading the X600 Pro install disc image for the 180-V01098-100 disc from this post http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post60155 Although it may be the same disc you already have.

Hope this helps. Not sure I can do much to help you troubleshoot as it's been a long time since I did this. So I don't think I'd remember any details I didn't document in this forum thread. I assume you have an activated copy of XP. At least as of 2017, I was still able to activate it (see http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/comp...n-success.html). Other things to consider are what I noted in Post #1 of that thread, such as "I already have DirectX 9.0c. As stated elsewhere on this site, I installed pre-requisites Windows Installer 3.1 rebooted, then Installed .NET Framework 2.0." Maybe those are SP2 things, not sure. Basically I had to get the basic software needed to be capable of installing the driver software. Those were things I did before I got access to the install disc from the post mentioned above and was trying to install other software posted years ago to the forum (i.e. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post17586), which is a more generic ATI PCIe driver pack. Naturally, once I got the x600 disc, I abandoned using that stuff.

Best wishes!
02-23-2021, 09:29 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply, Keaton!

I bought my AIW X600 Pro still sealed in the shrink wrap, so I have that install disc and all of the proper cables. Also, I have a Windows XP license key, but I haven't tried connecting to get it to validate (I don't think that will cause any issues though).

I switched over to SP2 on a clean install, and I was still having the same exact issues, so I decided to start over and document my steps. First, I installed "Windows Installer 3.1" and created a restore point which is what I decided to do for every step I took. I restarted the PC, and then I installed ".NET Framework 3.0" and restarted again.

After getting the initial setup complete, I decided to try something different, so I inserted the ATI Catalyst disc and installed just "DirectX". Then, I installed the "ATI Control Panel" and the "ATI Display Driver" components concurrently. Next, I installed the "WDM NSP Drivers". At this point, all of the appropriate devices showed up in the Device Manager.

After some research, I found that the "ATI Decoder" component is just for DVD playback and can be replaced by something like CyberLink PowerDVD. I decided to forego installing that completely, and that seems to be what allowed me to finally install the "Unified Component Install" and "Multimedia Center 9.x" components because they worked after that. For the first time since trying all of this, it finally gave me the option to select all of the MMC modules I wanted, but I just let it install all of them. I'll go back later to a restore point and just install the TV module instead.

Although I managed to finally get MMC installed, the display drivers are still very unstable. My PC routinely crashes within a couple of minutes of starting due to an infinite loop error. If it doesn't do that, then it will just freeze or the MMC modules will stop working. With that said, I did manage to get it to stay on long enough to test the TV module, and I was able to see a composite video source clearly in the window once I selected that as my input source.

Oddly, when I ran the MMC self check, it told me that the capture drivers were not installed despite me being able to see a composite source. Do you have this issue?

My next steps are to go through and ensure that my other drivers not related to the video card are working fine. The system is currently so unstable that it is unusable. How has your AIW X600 Pro build been treating you? It would be good to know if this card can actually be used successfully. (With over 200 tapes to digitize, I wouldn't be able to stomach that much instability! Haha)

Thanks for your time!
02-23-2021, 09:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Download Windows XP Integral Edition. Use it.
SP3 has always been bad. It was SP2 with "security" (ha!) junk added.
SP2 had bugs, but all we had.
Integrals is thus far giving me no grief. About to reformat an AIW system (my own 3rd) that's been pissing me off lately. It recently started to forget DMA, Turtle Beach card sounded warbled, totally unusable now.

Integrals is XP made modern, various backports.

Why even have DVD player software on a capture box? Don't.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (01-13-2022)
02-24-2021, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K101 View Post
Thanks for the reply, Keaton!
You're welcome! I've been there, and I know the frustration of spending so much time on this stuff. Once I got things working, it was all worth it.

Excellent that you got it still sealed! Sweet!

Quote:
I switched over to SP2 on a clean install, and I was still having the same exact issues
Yeah, I didn't expect that would matter. Glad to know that for anyone else that may read this someday. Didn't know about XP Integral Edition that lordsmurf mentioned. Seems like the version of XP is not your big issue here.

Quote:
At this point, all of the appropriate devices showed up in the Device Manager.
Awesome! We're getting closer!

Quote:
Although I managed to finally get MMC installed, the display drivers are still very unstable.
My next steps are to go through and ensure that my other drivers not related to the video card are working fine.
Argh! I would suggest you find the latest motherboard drivers that you can, at least for all the basic system buses, especially PCI Express. Perhaps you have some old system drivers that don't allow PCI Express to run optimally.

One alternate path to go down, if you haven't already, is to use Virtualdub 1.9.11 + Filters download from this site (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9485) and see if you can get it to capture lossless AVI in Virtualdub. Refer to this forum's very useful Virtualdub guide. (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html). Virtualdub has no installer, so it's harmless in that way. From the File menu in Virtualdub, select "Capture AVI" to enter capture mode. Once in capture mode, the Video menu select the Device "ATI Rage Theater Video Capture (DirectShow)", select correct Video Source in the Video menu (sounds like Composite is all you've got, but SVideo is better if you can get it), select "Preview" mode from the Video menu (I cannot get the card to capture in Overlay mode), also enable the Preview Histogram from the Video menu as well (I think I also need that for the Capture mode to work). Sometimes I have to toggle the Preview acceleration setting from the Video menu to something different, then back to the first setting of "Off" to get a Green flicker to disappear from the Preview window (a nuisance, but I don't think it effects capture if you don't get rid of the flicker). Also from the Video menu, select Compression and select Huffyuv from the list (be sure to install that driver, also found in that post I linked to for Virtualdub download).

Read through the Virtualdub guide as well, there may be more settings you need if you continue this approach for capture. If you don't, at least this may be helpful in debugging whether you've got a fundamental Video Driver/PCI Express type issue or more of a MMC issue. MMC is not really needed, I believe, for lossless capture. I think the capture drivers are all that's needed for lossless capture.

Not sure if you can do MMC (i.e. MPEG-2) capture via Virtualdub, never tried it. Somebody else can chime in there. I exclusively use lossless capture (i.e. Huffyuv AVI). I don't do MPEG-2 capture, so I don't use the ATI software.

Quote:
Oddly, when I ran the MMC self check, it told me that the capture drivers were not installed despite me being able to see a composite source. Do you have this issue?
I tried it now, and yes, I do see the same failure logged when running the series of self tests about capture drivers not being installed. Composite and S-Video Inputs work on ATI TV. I didn't attempt any capture, just a basic input is live test.

Quote:
How has your AIW X600 Pro build been treating you? It would be good to know if this card can actually be used successfully. (With over 200 tapes to digitize, I wouldn't be able to stomach that much instability! Haha)
Wonderfully! The capture quality is second to none! Better than the ATI 600 USB I had been using. I use it exclusively with Virtualdub 1.9.11 for lossless capture, and have had fantastic captures ever since. Having the internal levels control for video (i.e. contrast and brightness), unlike the ATI 600 USB, has allowed me to capture video (with help of Virtualdub Levels Preview) within proper video levels of 16 to 235. Granted, it is a bit glitchy when working with Virtualdub, but once I learned the quirks with having to be in Preview Mode for capture to work and sometimes having to toggle preview acceleration as mentioned before, I've been able to use it consistently for almost 2 years now!

Also, just discovered this old post I made on the same topic of this capture card. You may not need it, but here it is. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post68098 It shows some pictures of what I was talking about for enabling Virtualdub capture.

Last edited by keaton; 02-24-2021 at 10:05 AM.
02-27-2021, 05:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Why even have DVD player software on a capture box? Don't.
I wasn't using the ATI DVD Decoder software. I first tried an express installation which tried installing it, then I decided to install each component individually like Keaton had done in his old post. Once I realized what the ATI Decoder was, I did not opt to install it on the custom installation menu.

Also, I'll check out XP Integral Edition. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
Argh! I would suggest you find the latest motherboard drivers that you can, at least for all the basic system buses, especially PCI Express. Perhaps you have some old system drivers that don't allow PCI Express to run optimally.
I finally had some more time to work on it this weekend. I think that the PCI Express (chipset) drivers were one of the main issues. I had far fewer issues after those were updated. With that said, I still continued to have my fair share of crashes, so I tried to see what else might be wrong.

I had this idea that perhaps one of my other drivers was interfering with some of the display / capture drivers, so I started restoring my system back to before each driver installation. I wanted to work my way back driver by driver until I found the problem. After restoring before a particular driver, I would then reinstall all of my ATI display and capture drivers as well as MMC. I seem to have gotten lucky because the system started behaving much better after I restored to before I installed the USB 3.0 (Asmedia 104x) drivers, and this was the first and only one I had to uninstall. Haha

Then, I started having display issues in the capture feed on MMC where the upper two thirds of the frame was in black and white and the lower third was in color. I decided to stop there a few days ago and pick it back up today. When I went back to it, I realized that somehow the capture region had switched to the wrong format. When I corrected it, that fixed the issue. I was able to record for several minutes before I decided that the system was hopefully fixed.

Quote:
One alternate path to go down, if you haven't already, is to use Virtualdub 1.9.11 + Filters download from this site (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9485) and see if you can get it to capture lossless AVI in Virtualdub. Refer to this forum's very useful Virtualdub guide. (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html). Virtualdub has no installer, so it's harmless in that way.
I went ahead with your suggestion to use VirtualDub. It seems to be working fine with lossless AVI capture, although I haven't had a chance to read everything yet. I just selected the most basic settings to see if it would work. At the moment, I'm dropping about 10% of my frames with VirtualDub, but I didn't have that issue with MMC. With that said, I still have some reading to do before I can say if it is an issue with my hardware/software or just user error. I definitely plan on using VirtualDub permanently instead of MMC for lossless capture. I was just using MMC initially to test my setup.

Quote:
I tried it now, and yes, I do see the same failure logged when running the series of self tests about capture drivers not being installed. Composite and S-Video Inputs work on ATI TV. I didn't attempt any capture, just a basic input is live test.
That is good to know. Thanks for checking. Mine seems to work fine for actually recording input despite it showing this error in the self test.

Quote:
Wonderfully! The capture quality is second to none! Better than the ATI 600 USB I had been using. I use it exclusively with Virtualdub 1.9.11 for lossless capture, and have had fantastic captures ever since. Having the internal levels control for video (i.e. contrast and brightness), unlike the ATI 600 USB, has allowed me to capture video (with help of Virtualdub Levels Preview) within proper video levels of 16 to 235. Granted, it is a bit glitchy when working with Virtualdub, but once I learned the quirks with having to be in Preview Mode for capture to work and sometimes having to toggle preview acceleration as mentioned before, I've been able to use it consistently for almost 2 years now!
Awesome! I hope mine performs as well as yours has. Fingers crossed that it stays stable now that the PCI Express drivers are updated and the USB 3.0 drivers are removed.

Thanks again for your help! Hopefully this will be the last time I have to post in this thread about these issues!
02-27-2021, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
At the moment, I'm dropping about 10% of my frames with VirtualDub, but I didn't have that issue with MMC.
A basic thing mentioned on the forum a lot is to be sure you do not capture files to the same hard drive as your Windows hard drive. It should be an internal hard drive (SATA or IDE, depending on the motherboard), not a USB drive. I've got a small hard drive for Windows and all the installed tools, and a separate data only drive that I capture to. Also, since this is a capture box (and XP) keep it unplugged from the outside world and try to be sure there's no other processes in the Task Manager that show any significant CPU or hard drive loading. While capturing in real time like this, the CPU and hard drive buses need to be as free as possible from any potential interruptions. Luckily, XP is a lot less busy with things than later versions of Windows. But still be sure it doesn't have something unnecessary going on.

Of course, a rough tape without a Time Base Corrector could cause some dropping (audio/video going out of sync). And, yes, how Virtualdub is configured to handle timing issues could be a factor. If you've got a good line TBC and a good frame TBC, you probably have a lot less to worry about. But, even with that, it could occasionally be a factor. I think the Virtualdub guide gets into that and does indicate there's not a single solution for all capture setups. There's probably other posts in the forum about those Virtualdub settings as well.

Quote:
Thanks again for your help! Hopefully this will be the last time I have to post in this thread about these issues!
Great to hear you are in striking distance! Best wishes!

Tags
aiw x600 pro, drivers, mmc, windows xp