Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-23-2021, 02:55 PM
Free Member

I am using a LG DVD-VCR deck to dub the content of VHS-C to a DVD. I set the DVD record mode to XP, which will provide about 1 hr-5 mins of record time. A few of my VHS-C cassettes are full and have a play time of about 1 hr-25 mins. (I tried setting the DVD record mode to SP, but the video quality was not very good – so this approach is a non-starter)

I *think* (but haven’t verified this yet) that when dubbing the VHS-c -> DVD, when the DVD becomes full, it will stop the VCR from playing. At this point I can insert another DVD and continue recording.

So now suppose I use Handbrake to rip the DVDs to MP4. What software can I use to splice the two video files together? Is there a easy way to do this?

Another scenario question:
If when dubbing from the VHS-c -> the DVD, when the DVD is full, it does not stop the VCR playback and tape continue to play to the end. What is the easiest way to figure out on the tape where the DVD was full?
(I could set a timer for one hour and stop both the vcr playbackand the DVD, but that means I'd have to be around to do this)
Thanks for advice/pointers for these two questions.
J
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-23-2021, 09:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
The auto-stop thing would be nice, but doesn't exist that I recall. None of mine have that, and I still have a lot of (too many) recorders.

Handbrake is terrible software.

You need non-encoding MPEG editor, like Womble, TMPGEnc SR, VideoRedo, MPEG Streamclip, and some others. Mostly payware, mostly oldware (Womble is defunct, but was best MPEG editor; see Premium Member forum).

This is a manual process. Set a stopwatch for 1 hour, go manually stop/change.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-23-2021, 11:08 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the suggestions.
You mentioned TMPGEnc, I used that a few times long time ago - I thought it was free? Guess not any more.
Do you know of any free ones that you think are pretty good?
Assuming I go the stop-change-restart 2nd dvd route, the workflow would be to use TMPGEnc to convert both of the DVDs to .mp4, then use the time line editor in TMPGEnc to 'stitch' them together?

(just curious, why do you think handbrake is bad?)

thanks again
J