Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-08-2021, 07:31 AM
Free Member

Hi! I've been doing some reading here, looking for decent hardware to digitize my family's collection of Video 8 tapes.

I was able to buy a camcorder with S-Video and TBC to use as my output. However, finding one of the cards that get recommended the most here in Europe is rather challenging.

All ATIs come from the US, as do the recommended Hauppauge models, and I'd rather avoid high shipping rates and long delivery times if possible.

There are a lot of various Pinnacle cards, but I wasn't able to find any suggestions which are actually worth buying, and the naming schemes aren't helping much either. I'd be very grateful for suggestions regarding PAL capture cards with S-Video that one can buy on European marketplaces. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to hardware configs, can use both Windows and Linux, including XP on some older hardware.

Also, are any of the ones below any good (especially the two first ones)?

- USB PINNACLE PCTV 150e
- Pinnacle Systems 51011560 Excalibur 5.1 PCI Video Capure Card
- Pinnacle VHS Saver
- PINNACLE Studio MovieBox Plus 710
- Pinnacle Dazzle Digital Video Creator DVC120

The listings are from Ebay: https://www.ebay.de/sch/175679/i.htm...e&LH_PrefLoc=1. I'm trying to find something in Germany or Poland if at all possible.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by starry_air; 03-08-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-08-2021, 08:42 AM
Free Member

Hauppauge USB-Live2, HuffYUV, AmarecTV, laptop running Windows10

compare_1a_dvb-s-muxed.mp4
capture result (comparison of an analog capture from s-vhs recording and a dvb-s stream of the same program)

compare_t2a_sigla_1a_dtbc_nr_on_best_on_copie_off_ d3r_on_org_v16ad-muxed.mp4
restoration result (experiment to improve video quality with AviSynth)

I hope it helps

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 compare_1a_dvb-s-muxed.mp4 (22.09 MB, 49 downloads)
File Type: mp4 compare_t2a_sigla_1a_dtbc_nr_on_best_on_copie_off_d3r_on_org_v16ad-muxed.mp4 (22.10 MB, 73 downloads)

Last edited by lollo2; 03-08-2021 at 08:58 AM.
03-08-2021, 09:30 AM
Free Member

Thanks... it isn't this thing, is it? https://www.ebay.de/itm/WIN-TV-usb-2...kAAOSwrS1gBKIR

I don't think I can buy the model you recommended, alas.
03-08-2021, 09:40 AM
Free Member

https://www.hauppauge.de/site/produc..._usblive2.html

https://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/pro..._usblive2.html
03-08-2021, 09:47 AM
Free Member

Thanks, I thought they only shipped them from the US... You said you used a lossless codec, so the card can output raw video?
03-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Free Member

The captured video is a 4:2:2 YUV, codec: HuffYUV, example attached

The comparisons were compressed to mp4 for size reduction

Attached Files
File Type: avi example.avi (24.72 MB, 36 downloads)

Last edited by lollo2; 03-08-2021 at 11:22 AM.
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: starry_air (03-08-2021)
03-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Free Member

Great. I ordered the camera and the card, and now I should read up on post-processing and restoration Thanks for your help!
03-08-2021, 11:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
and now I should read up on post-processing and restoration
Well, I am not at expert at all: restoration is difficult and require a lot of effort, learning, and experiments;
in addition is a sort of "art" imho. But here and on VH you'll have excellent support ;-)
03-08-2021, 01:33 PM
Free Member

On german video board they have tested many capture cards the result for the hauppauge was:

Hauppauge HVR-900 DVB-T stick & Hauppauge USB-Live 2:
Video part: sharpness satisfactory, FBAS color separation poor, va. with the USB-Live, within certain limits "real" proc amp. It seems that a 10-bit converter is installed, which has a high operating point (maybe about 1.5V), and the rest is digitally spread to 8-bit.
Video jitter stabilization ("TBC-Like"): none, for VHS-direct even completely unusable! A perfect recording (see tube TV) wobbles and makes waves without end!
Audio part: Not tested
03-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
FBAS color separation poor
If I understand correctly this refers to composite input signal. I always use S-Video.

Quote:
within certain limits "real" proc amp
I use it sometimes to fix the levels and it works

Quote:
10-bit converter is installed
Yes, CX23102 is 10-bit. If 8 bits are used internally is probably because that number is adequate

Quote:
Video jitter stabilization ("TBC-Like"): none
I do not want a TBC inside a capture card. I need a line TBC in the VCR and eventually a frame TBC between the VCR and the capture card.

To my eyes the Hauppauge USB-Live2 is ok. In my previous attachement I compared a dvb-s "pure" stream (the reference) and the same video that went from a set-top box, to a VCR and finally to a capture card! Unfortunately the results is compressed for size reasons, but do you see any bad in it?

Last edited by lollo2; 03-08-2021 at 04:28 PM.
03-09-2021, 07:26 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogelein
On german video board they have tested many capture cards
Out of interest, what did they say about the IO Data GV-USB2, my favourite capture stick?
03-09-2021, 07:49 AM
Free Member

If I am not misunderstanding something, for the guy who did the test the favourite seems to be a Terratec DVB-T stick, which is a surprize for me (was expecting something like a BrightEye 75). Apparently he has a preference for a card capable to handle problematic tapes/bad VCRs (sort of internal TBC capabilities?).

In the past I had a Terratec Cinergy Hybrid (that I have broken), capable of capture from analog source, and in my experiments it was not better than the Hauppauge in any way. I do not remember if it was capable to capture in the range 0-16 and 235-255 (Hauppauge does not).

I still have a Terratec Cynergy XS (no analog capture) that work flawless for dumping DVB-T streams, but that's another story.

I found no mention to IO Data GV-USB2, but did not search a lot ;-)
03-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Free Member

Thanks Lollo2.
03-09-2021, 08:26 AM
Free Member

I read good opinion of IO Data GV-USB2 on VH.
I never had it.
Could you post some sample?
Thanks!
03-09-2021, 08:47 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
If I am not misunderstanding something, for the guy who did the test the favourite seems to be a Terratec DVB-T stick, which is a surprize for me (was expecting something like a BrightEye 75). Apparently he has a preference for a card capable to handle problematic tapes/bad VCRs (sort of internal TBC capabilities?).

In the past I had a Terratec Cinergy Hybrid (that I have broken), capable of capture from analog source, and in my experiments it was not better than the Hauppauge in any way. I do not remember if it was capable to capture in the range 0-16 and 235-255 (Hauppauge does not).

I still have a Terratec Cynergy XS (no analog capture) that work flawless for dumping DVB-T streams, but that's another story.

You should read the whole post to avoid spreading half-truths here. The Terratec you mentioned failed because no synchronous recording was possible except recording with the mpg codec.
The main focus was on jitter correction. Tested were pretty much all capture cards that were available in the German-speaking world.
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: archivarious (03-09-2021)
03-09-2021, 08:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:

In my thread I will continue posting comparisons with the (not recommended on DQ) IO DATA GV-USB2 + a recommended ATI AIW AGP card + the ATI 600 USB

Post #15, first example:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post71895
03-09-2021, 09:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
You should read the whole post to avoid spreading half-truths here
Same as you did just translating few words.

As I said, mine was just an impression. I do not care about it, I have my own test.

Thanks for your contribution , but I am not interested anymore in this useless discussion. Anybody can build his own opinion .

Quote:
In my thread I will continue posting comparisons with the (not recommended on DQ) IO DATA GV-USB2 + a recommended ATI AIW AGP card + the ATI 600 USB
Yes please, I am interested! Thanks a lot :-)
03-09-2021, 09:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_air View Post
Hi! I've been doing some reading here, looking for decent hardware to digitize my family's collection of Video 8 tapes.
I was able to buy a camcorder with S-Video and TBC to use as my output.
Good start.

Quote:
However, finding one of the cards that get recommended the most here in Europe is rather challenging.
Not really.
For example, I often have capture cards in the marketplace, and ship worldwide.

Quote:
All ATIs come from the US
Not true. Certain AIW models were native to Europe.

Quote:
I'd rather avoid high shipping rates and long delivery times if possible.
For EU/UK<>US, shipping cost is about double domestic ($30 max), and times are usually not long either (2-3 weeks). It's mostly back to normal now. It's in-USA that's still fubar, political messing with USPS.

Quote:
There are a lot of various Pinnacle cards, but I wasn't able to find any suggestions which are actually worth buying, and the naming schemes aren't helping much either.
Pinnacle, Hauppauge, and others, reuse models/names, so it's indeed not always easy to know with having the card in-hand.

Quote:
- USB PINNACLE PCTV 150e
- Pinnacle Systems 51011560 Excalibur 5.1 PCI Video Capure Card
- Pinnacle VHS Saver
- Pinnacle Dazzle Digital Video Creator DVC120
None of those.

Quote:
- PINNACLE Studio MovieBox Plus 710
Maybe fine.
Again, reuse model/name, that card had multiple variations.

Quote:
Hauppauge USB-Live2,
No.
Conexant capture chips = no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_air View Post
Great. I ordered the camera and the card, and now I should read up on post-processing and restoration Thanks for your help!
That was probably a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
On german video board they have tested many capture cards the result for the hauppauge was:
Link, please.

Quote:
Hauppauge HVR-900 DVB-T stick
That stick is garbage. That and another variation of the HVR.

Quote:
I do not want a TBC inside a capture card. I need a line TBC in the VCR and eventually a frame TBC between the VCR and the capture card.
Correct.
However, line TBC in a capture card would have been nice. But one never existed.

Quote:
Anybody can build his own opinion .
True. But qualified opinions are based on facts and truths. Not just "because I think so". So as long as your opinions are grounded, all is well.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (03-09-2021)
03-09-2021, 09:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
True. But qualified opinions are based on facts and truths. Not just "because I think so". So as long as your opinions are grounded, all is well.
I thought I was referring to a "fact" when I posted my comparison. Apparently it was not the case. No problem, I'll quit. Thanks for everything!
03-09-2021, 09:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archivarious View Post

Post #15, first example:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post71895
Yeah the IO-Data seems to have gotten generally good feedback and seems decent, it also seems to have a proper proc-amp judging by how the histogram looked in one post here (can't find right now). Both the conexant (diamond vc500, hauppage usb live and many others) and it seems most or all empia-based (ati 600 and many others) seem to produce "sawtooths" or gaps in the histogram when adjusting contrast/brigthness. The empia ones in particular seem sometimes simply be adjusting brigtness of the already catured y data.

Quote:
Quote:
Correct.
However, line TBC in a capture card would have been nice. But one never existed.
There seem to be a handful of rare ones that did to some extent, mostly using the functionality in the analog-devices chips, like the canopus nx and some other obscure ones, though the performance seems to vary. Ideally the full TBC functionality would be integrated into the capture devices but it seems pretty much no one has bothered with it, even though the technology itself has been around for quite a while and used in TVs, dvd-recorders etc. ADV even makes a chip with line and frame-TBC built in (which admittedly may not be quite as robust as panasonic/philips chips have been but still), but I've never seen any capture card use it.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: archivarious (03-09-2021)