03-08-2021, 02:40 PM
Unconfirmed User

I just (this week) bought a Panasonic AG-7750 S-VHS VCR.
My intent is to use it to playback old family VHS tapes for subsequent conversion to DV AVI, and later mp4.

I did locate a Service Manual for it on-line and downloaded it.

BUT WHAT I NEED IS SOME SIMPLE "USER MANUAL" ADVICE ON HOW TO OPERATE IT.

i.e. When do you use the TBC Local/Bypass/Remote switch? Sometimes the picture looks better in Local; sometimes in Bypass.

I have actually already converted ~50 VHS tapes using a consumer JVC XRHVC-1U VCR/DVD Combo unit for playback. It is a regular VHS....not S-VHS. End quality to me was okay, but after reading the digitalfaq forums, I am convinced I can do much better.

I just received the AG-7750 today so I'm still playing around with
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Free Member

I tried some google-fu for the owner's manual with no luck. Maybe someone else will have it and can upload it. Unfortunately, most great VCRs are from the era just before manuals were routinely posted on manufacturers' websites for easy downloading. So your only hope is that someone took the time to scan in their paper copy.

I can likely help with your question about the TBC though. Since the 7750 was a pro deck meant for use in a studio, it could be configured two different ways. There is a slot for a modular TBC card (and not all of these decks had a card installed there. Some models came with the card and for others it was optional.)

Anyway, that would be the "Local" TBC setting.

"Bypass" would mean TBC off.

The "Remote" setting probably instructed the deck to engage a separate, rack mount TBC. I'm not certain of this 100% but pretty sure.

So for your uses you only need to toggle between Local and Bypass.

Edit: You likely already know this, but just in case--these Panasonic pro decks can only play tapes recorded at SP speed, since that was the only speed used in studios. If any of your tapes are EP or LP you'll need a consumer or prosumer deck since they will not play correctly on the 7750.
03-08-2021, 06:34 PM
Unconfirmed User

Hey, bookemdano! Thanks so much for your response.
All that makes sense based on my experimentation today.

I too searched the internet for a User Manual. Seems like I only found a German-language one. Maybe I'll download that one. Ich kann ein bisschen deutsch.

Do the 4 controls under the "TBC CONTROL line" function if the TDC is in BYPASS [off] mode?

What are the symptoms if I try to play an EP/LP tape?

One tape I tried to play today had a LOT of noise all across the television monitor. It looked as if the TRACKING needed adjusting badly. I'm betting that tape was recorded in EP/LP mode. #fatherinlaw

Thanks again.
03-08-2021, 07:39 PM
Free Member

The German model should be functionally identical other than being PAL.

I haven't ever had my hands on one of those Pro Panasonic decks, but yes--my assumption is that the TBC control functions would only have any effect if the TBC control was in local or remote (in which case the deck would signal the external TBC to change settings). They should have no effect in bypass, but maybe someone can check me on that.

I have also never tried to play an EP or LP tape on a Pro deck. But I recall reading at least one post either here or at videohelp.com where someone said the tapes played too fast, which I guess makes sense--like playing a 33 1/3 RPM LP on a turntable set to 45RPM.

But maybe tracking errors could be the result too. I believe on those Pro Panny decks one of those sweet-looking VU meters can show the tracking. Have you tried adjusting the tracking knob with that tape you were having problems with?

But yes, for LP or EP (aka SLP) tapes you will need to use a different VCR. Hopefully you don't have (m)any, as even with proper playback the quality sucks. I wish I could slap some sense into 12-year-old me who thought it was nifty to be able to record 6 hours on one tape
03-09-2021, 07:44 AM
Free Member

On the simpler AG-7350 at least it basically plays LP tapes at SP speed, so it plays too fast giving chipmunk sound and a distorted image (a bit like when ffwding). Probably similar on other pro decks like this, but idk how the tbc reacts.

As noted, these decks have manual tracking, and a video level meter, you want to adjust tracking for the maximum video level on the meter (it's essentially what auto-tracking does in a normal deck.)
03-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks so much, hodgey.

Are you saying I should always set the Video Level to Maximum?
Then adjust the Tracking?
Do I then leave the Video Level to Maximum or should I reduce it back to midrange or so?
THANKS AGAIN!
03-09-2021, 11:43 AM
Free Member

You adjust the tracking knob until the needle is at the maximum. The video level know is for adjusting video level when recording, don't think it does anything for playback.

If it's a PAL one, the service manual here includes the user manual.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-12-2021)
03-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks again, hodgey.
Your response makes sense....even to me. #retiredguy #71yearsold
I have downloaded that Service Manual you mentioned already. It doesn't give a lot of Operating Instructions though.
I just downloaded the 67-page German-language manual "Bedienungs-Anleitung" [Operating Instructions].
I think it contains the information I am seeking.
I will start translating portions of it.
Best regards from north central Texas. #closetoDallas
The following users thank Wayne_of_Rockwall for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-12-2021)
03-11-2021, 02:33 PM
Free Member

I have an AG-7650 and one thing I would suggest (actually highly recommend) is that you check the internal head cleaning mechanism. There is a foam roller in there that, if it hasn't been replaced, deteriorates to nothing and you end up with the bare spindle banging against the video head drum. I couldn't be bothered trying to find a replacement for mine so I just removed it.
The following users thank rick_s for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-12-2021)
03-11-2021, 03:17 PM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks, rick_s!

Yes, I took off the top cover the 2nd day and looked at that foam roller. I was going to remove it as you recommended.

Surprisingly it is pretty good shape. I decided to leave it alone.

Everything really looks good inside. Every function I have tested works well.
It sure takes up a lot of real estate though!
The following users thank Wayne_of_Rockwall for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-12-2021)
06-10-2021, 05:25 PM
Unconfirmed User

Update from my initial posting in March 2021:
I have succeeded in getting the Panasonic AG-7750 Professional Video Cassette Recorder to function in a 'BYPASS' mode.

My workflow now consists of three units.
a. the JVC HR-S7500U S-VHS Video Cassette Recorder with built in Time Base Correction (TBC). I use this unit to play my old home/family videotapes. Surprisingly, a small number of my tapes look better when played back without the TBC switched on.
b. the S-video/audio from the above JVC VCR is fed into the big Panasonic AG-7750 VCR. With the AG-7750 in a 'bypass' mode, I use its built-in TBC and video enhancement controls (contrast, brightness, color saturation, color hue) to enhance the original video signal.
c. the video from the AG-7750 is then fed to a Vidicraft Detailer III which I use to enhance the sharpness and detail of the video signal. [I experimented with and without this unit. I think it provides some value-added, although it only works with composite video, not S-video).
I then digitize the subsequent signal by feeding it into a Sony DCR-DRV-310 Digital Handycam, which records digital video on a Hi-8 tape. (I later archive the Hi-8 tapes.)

I then use the Sony Handycam to playback the Hi-8 tape. The Sony Handycam is connected to my PC via Firewire. The PC records the video as a DV AVI file......ready for subsequent non-linear editing.

Thanks for listening.