03-21-2021, 06:52 AM
Free Member

I can buy a Sony Handycam CCD-SC55E in hopes of having it not conflict with my green AVT-8710. Is that a good idea, or are these somehow inferior than larger camcorder models?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2021, 09:13 AM
Free Member

Handycams are the recommended playback sources for Hi8 and Video8 tapes.

I had a quick look through the manual you linked and that model seems to have the desired features:

1. Line TBC & DNR
2. S-Video Output
3. Stereo Audio Output

Maybe others can comment on that model specifically, but it seems like it should be fine for capturing purposes.
The following users thank bookemdano for this useful post: EmielBoss (03-21-2021)
03-21-2021, 09:16 AM
Free Member

Sounds good, thanks! Is there a reason why Handycams are recommended over other camcorders?
03-21-2021, 09:20 AM
Free Member

I think it's mainly due to Sony's inclusion of the line TBC and DNR on many models. Also, Video8 was Sony's baby--they were very committed to it over its entire lifespan, so they had more experience making 8mm mechanisms than anyone else. Of course, Sony has made a lot of crap over the years too, but I think in general their Handycam lineup was considered fairly reliable overall.

Hopefully you can test the tape mechanism on the SC55E to make sure it operates smoothly. As with buying anything used, caveat emptor.

BTW: I just looked at the thread you referenced about your AVT-8710. I forgot that turning off the camcorder TBC resolved the chroma issue you were seeing. In that case, I'm not sure if a different Sony camcorder would help. It might, but probably all Hi8 Handycams shared the same or similar TBC/DNR circuitry.

If you can get it cheap, or if you can return it if it doesn't help, then it may be worth trying, but otherwise you might want to try either a different brand of Hi8 camcorder (I don't know which ones have TBC/DNR though). Or you could pick up a Panasonic ES10 or ES15 DVD recorder to use as a passthrough (that provides line TBC so you can turn off the TBC in the camcorder).
03-21-2021, 12:52 PM
Free Member

Another reason of using camcorders over high end home decks is the amount of use, Camcorders are just used for taking home videos or occasional playback, so not much head wear vs home decks that are used to tape TV shows over and over on the same tape.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: EmielBoss (03-21-2021), lordsmurf (03-21-2021)
03-21-2021, 02:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Another reason of using camcorders over high end home decks is the amount of use, Camcorders are just used for taking home videos or occasional playback, so not much head wear vs home decks that are used to tape TV shows over and over on the same tape.
Yep, that's it.

Demographics of initial users matters. Mommy/daddy rarely let the kiddies play with the cameras, and stored them away after recording 100 tapes at most. The heads may need cleaning, but are often in great shape.

Whereas certain VCRs and DVD recorders may (or may not) be wanted.

Smoking is a concern on consumer gear, but it's hard to hold a camera and puff away. Over the years, I've found that smokers less-often recorded home movies. Why? Because most home movies are of kids, and lots of parents stop smoking by the time junior is born. Not all, but interesting trend. I'm more concerned about DVD recorders, which far more often smell like ash trays than cameras.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: EmielBoss (03-21-2021)

Tags
avt-8710, handycam, hi8, sony