Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-05-2021, 07:23 AM
Free Member

I need help getting my new capture card to work with Virtual Dub2.

The capture card is a ATI 600 Clone. Virtual Dub 2 was working with my previous card (August VGB100) The problem could be the drivers for the new card but I’m not sure. Nothing shows up in my Virtual Dub 2 capture device options.

I’m am trying to use the card with the Huffy codecs. Once I get this card working, what are the best settings and others setup procedures for getting the best out of this card in VirtualDub2
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Different "clones" use various drivers.
You have the Hauppauge. You need this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/hauppauge/w...etup_35167.exe

Do not use VirtualDub2. Use VirtualDub 1.9.x
Do not use the FFMPEG version of Huffyuv. Use the official original version.

See if the card is installed in device manager. Remember to reboot after installing the drivers.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-08-2021, 09:56 PM
Free Member

That Driver link is requiring a Product Code or a Activation code. Any idea how to go around this?

VirtualDub.org shows v1.10.4 as the latest version should I be downloading that or the 1.9x

I clicked the Huffyuv Link in your post and it directed me to an older previous post with information. I found the links to the Huffyuv codec near the bottom of your post. I clicked the first link and downloaded the file. I needed a WINRAR program to open the file. I downloaded the WINRAR program and was able to open the RAR zip file. The files in the zip folder are the Huffyuv INF and the dll file. I right clicked the INF file and nothing really happens. Do i need to cut and paste these files into the Windows registry manually? If so I'm not sure of the full file location.

-- merged --

As an add on to my previous post, I downloaded the Multithreaded RAR Huffyuv link. Opened with WinRAR and got the two files. I extracted them to the SYSWOW64 folder. I restarted the computer and can see them in the file folder. I started Virtualdub and checked the Video tab and then selected Compression. Nothing New showed up under that tab.

Im batting 1000 now with pure failures here in every direction.

On a side note: I got rid of virtualdub the first time and went with VirtualDub2 because of a black screen issue that plagued my first video archiving attempts. I hope this doesn't happen to me again.
02-08-2021, 11:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBD925 View Post
That Driver link is requiring a Product Code or a Activation code.
No it doesn't. Driver install is free. Ignore/skip installing payware WinTV app, you don't use it. The installer is somewhat stupid in this way, drivers+app should have never been bundled together, it's confusing for new users.

Quote:
VirtualDub.org shows v1.10.4 as the latest version should I be downloading that or the 1.9x
1.10.x has issues
VirtualDubFilterMod is based on 1.10, has issues
VirtualDub2 is based on FM, still issues, and actually added more.
Use 1.9.x for this card.

Quote:
The files in the zip folder are the Huffyuv INF and the dll file. I right clicked the INF file and nothing really happens. Do i need to cut and paste these files into the Windows registry manually? If so I'm not sure of the full file location.
INF double-click worked in WinXP, not newer WinOS. Instructions for Vista/7/8/10 in the forum, search for those. This post has some: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627

Quote:
On a side note: I got rid of virtualdub the first time and went with VirtualDub2 because of a black screen issue that plagued my first video archiving attempts.
The major issue with VirtualDub2 is that it induces dropped frames, even with TBC. There's some sort of overhead that shouldn't be there, especially at capture start.

02-08-2021, 11:24 PM
Free Member

How do I get the drivers only to install.

I’ll look for the latest 1.9x VirtualDub and get that installed.

I am reading the Huffy instructions now and will try to get that working as well. Ran out of time tonight but will hit it again tomorrow after work.
02-08-2021, 11:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

I don't remember off-hand. Just plow through the install. There's something you can click that means "no".

In the near future, I'll be installing Win10 on a dev box SSD, to better track Win10 updates nuking drivers. At that time, I'll make an install guide for certain cards, including this one. But not soon, so don't wait on me.

02-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Free Member

Well guys, the frustration level is reaching level 10 now.

I downloaded the new virtualdub 1.9.11 The install seemed to go well.

I then installed the Huffyuv codec. I followed the instructions given and used the dos promt to install the Huffyuv.inf I got a\2 errors because of bad spacing and then a misspelling but the third time I got no error messages. I checked the Syswow folder and found them both listed in the folder.

Next I installed the WinTV drivers provided in the link from the first post. That went well and seemed to work.

I opened Virtualdub and selected the File Tab in the top menu. I then selected Video Source from the drop down. Under "Select Video Device" I selected WinTV HVR-980 Capture. Once I did this and hit "apply" my computer locked up. I got a blue screen. at the bottom of the screen I got this failure.

Stop_Code_System_Service_Exception
emBDA.sys

What happened here?

Also noticed that when I select the top menu tab "Video" then Compression from the drop down. Huffyuv codec does not show up. So the Huffy codecs are not showing up in Virtualdub

What am I doing wrong now and what settings do I need to select in Virtualdub to start capturing correctly?

-- merged --

I deleted both Huffyuv files in the syswow folder and rechecked my work. This time I decided to try the huffyuv64 zip files. I pasted the two files into the C: folder. I did the same process in dos promt and got this error message:

Setup cannot Copy file HUFFYUV.INF

Ensure the the location specified below is correct change it and insert 'Huffyuv AVI lossless video codec' in the drive you specify

Options: Retry, Cancel, Browse C:
02-09-2021, 09:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

I think you're getting ahead of yourself here...

For the moment, forget about Huffyuv. Are you able to capture uncompressed video?

02-09-2021, 10:18 PM
Free Member

No. I get a black screen with snow but no video. Interesting I don’t get the web cam that is installed on the computer either. I got that and was able to capture video with the old setup.

-- merged --

I don’t understand why everything worked before and now nothing is working. What am I doing wrong here?

-- merged --

Guys I need a little guidance here? Not much is working.

-- merged --

Can anyone help guide me in the right direction?

-- merged --

I might have posted in the wrong section? Am I asking the right questions? Any other things I can try given the info I’m seeing?
02-13-2021, 11:25 AM
Free Member

You need to provide more details on your computer setup. What version of Windows? 32bit or 64bit? Is it a desktop or a laptop?

Do you have another computer you can try?

Apparently new builds of Windows 10 (which are installed automatically these days for most people) have broken a bunch of capture cards (can't remember if Hauppauge are among them--maybe search the forum for recent threads about it). So you might need to try reverting to an older build of Windows 10 if that's the OS you're using.
02-14-2021, 01:03 PM
Free Member

Ok here are my specs:

Windows 10 Home
Version 1909
System Type: 64bit Operating System x64 Based Processor
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60Hz 1.80 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB (7.85 GB Usable)

I am converting 8mm tapes that were filmed on a Cannon E80

Below I listed the Workflow that I was using. With this workflow, I was able to capture with no issues.

Cam Corder: Sony TRV-615 with TBC on and DNR turned off.
RCA red and white connected for audio
S-video connected for video
Capture: August VGB100
Program: Virtual Dub 2
Codec: Lagarith Lossless Codec

I swapped the Capture Card and Codec to get better end quality.

Here is the new workflow I am using:

Cam Corder: Sony TRV-615 with TBC on and DNR turned off.
RCA red and white connected for audio
S-video connected for video
Capture: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950
Program: VirtualDub 1.9.11
Codec: Huffyuv Lossless Codec

I installed the Virtualdub 1.9.11 program things seemed to go well.

I then installed the Drivers. I'm not sure it worked as there was a loop that kept the program from fully installing.

Next I deleted both Huffyuv files in the syswow folder and rechecked my work. This time I decided to try the huffyuv64 zip files. Because I have a 64 bit system. I pasted the two files into the C: folder. I did the same process in dos promt and got this error message:

Setup cannot Copy file HUFFYUV.INF

Ensure the the location specified below is correct change it and insert 'Huffyuv AVI lossless video codec' in the drive you specify

Options: Retry, Cancel, Browse C:

Can I just copy and paste these Codec files into the SysWow folder?

When I started the virtualdub program to check if things were working I could not get anything to show.
I opened Virtualdub and selected the File Tab in the top menu. I then selected Video Source from the drop down. Under "Select Video Device" I selected WinTV HVR-980 Capture.

Why does the program show a WinTV HVR-980 when the card I have is a 950?

Usually under the Video Source Tab I can see my video laptop camera. When selected it will show me sitting in-front of the laptop. This does not work either.

The Huffyuv Codec does not show in the codec list either.

Can Anyone help?

I checked the Hauppauge website for drivers. It looks like they have them but you need an activation code that you can purchase for $12.95 https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/supp...rt_hvr950.html

Is this the route I should take or are these the wrong drivers to use???

Last edited by NBD925; 02-14-2021 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add Info
02-14-2021, 01:24 PM
Free Member

HVR-980 and 950 are basically identical, so don't worry about the naming.

As suggested before, forget completely about HUFFYUV for now. That may indeed be an issue, but it is secondary to a capture issue you are having. Once you have the capture card successfully capturing video uncompressed, then you can figure out HUFFYUV. By trying to address two issues at once you're needlessly complicating things.

When you choose WinTV HVR-980 do you see the output from your capture device? If you see snow then that is probably the output from the analog tuner that is present on the card. You need to select the S-Video input instead. Try capturing a minute or so of a tape uncompressed and make sure you're getting video and audio.

Once that is working, then you can revisit the HUFFYUV installation issue.
The following users thank bookemdano for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-14-2021)
02-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Free Member

Update: I decided to open Virtualdub2 and test things.

I was able to select the 980 card and preview the incoming video on the preview screen. I was initially not able to capture anything but remembered that for some reason the Audio capture option that is selected will affect the ability to capture any video. I looked at the available options in the audio capture list. (Audio Tab) bottom of list shows the audio capture options. I selected 0: Capture Device

There are 8 options total under that tab and at-least two of those options show WinTV-HVR 980. Im not sure why these options don't work.

Here is the list:

0: Capture Device
1: Line (WinTV HVR-980)
2: WinTV HVR-980 Audio
3: Microphone (Realtek(R) Audio)
4: Realtek HD Audio Stereo Input (WDM)
5: Realtek HD Audio Mic Input with SST (WDM)
6: WinTV HVR-980 Capture (WDM)
7: WinTV HVR-980 Audio (WDM)

Any idea why there are so many WinTV options and what do they do?

I then used this audio setting (0: Capture Device) in the VirtualDub 1.9.11 program. I opened the program and here was my work flow in the program.

Clicked Upper Tab (File) and then selected (Capture AVI)
Then Clicked Upper Tab (File) set the Capture File
Then Clicked Upper Tab (Device) and selected the 2: WinTV HVR-980 Capture (DirectShow)
Then Clicked Upper Tab (Video) selected Video Source (Video S-Video)
Same Menu Selected Compression (Lagarith Lossless Codec)
Then Clicked Upper Tab (Audio) and selected 0: Capture Device

Next I hit play on my video camera and then Clicked the Upper Tab (Capture) the video readouts on the far right started reading out and it looked like I was capturing. There was no preview. I could not tell anything was really happening besides the readouts on the right hand side of the program. I then stopped the Capture and looked at the file that I had captured to. It captured.

So besides not knowing what all the correct options are in each tab that I need to select in this program. It looks like it captured video. NO preview. Also no Huffyuv codec. I have far more codecs in the VirtualDub2 program vs the 1 codec (Lagarith Lossless) in the Virtualdub 1.9.11 Program.

What settings do I need to select to get the best preformance out of VirtualDub or VirtualDub2
02-14-2021, 02:56 PM
Free Member

I'm not that well-versed in VirtualDub, nor the Hauppauge/ATI 600 cards so I'm not sure what all the various audio options are. What you may want to do is try a few seconds capture with each one and see what the results are. Ideally, only one will work and give you proper audio, so you will know that's the correct setting. If more than one option works, then maybe they are identical underneath so you can choose either one.

I dunno about Preview not working. Maybe someone else will have knowledge/ideas on that.

I believe there are some great posts here explaining many of the options in virtual dub. Have you looked at it?

For HUFFYUV, install the 32bit version, not the 64bit. VirtualDub is 32-bit so you have to use the matching bitness for codecs.

Link: https://www.videohelp.com/download/huffyuv-2.1.1.zip

Unzip the files to your downloads folder (or wherever you want). Then open an administrative command prompt (right click the command prompt icon in the start menu and choose "Run as administrator", then authenticate the UAP prompt that comes up). In the command prompt window, cd to the folder where you extracted the Huffyuv files. Then copy and paste this command (you can also type it but make certain that you type it exactly:

Code:
rundll32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 huffyuv.inf
That should install it properly.
The following users thank bookemdano for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-14-2021)
02-14-2021, 03:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Realize that you're posting faster than I can reply. Bumping the thread isn't making it go faster.

I firmly believe the root cause of Win10 breaking capture cards has some relation to the graphics card -- and nVidia cards are a common culprit.

You state that Lagarith worked fine in the previous craptastic capture card. For now, for testing, don't mess with Huffyuv. Keep it as Lagarith.

Why is it 980 in the drivers? No idea. Hauppauge often has driver numbers for card models that don't exist. A 980 card does not exist, but those are the 950 drivers. It may have to do with the fact that there are multiple "950" cards, and not all are what I consider "ATI clones". Hauppauge had a bad habit of recycling model numbers for hardware. I do confirm that 980 is the correct driver.

Turn off audio preview. Please confirm you can see video without issue, and can capture it. Once video is known to work, we can move on to audio.

When you're troubleshooting stuff, you have to go one step at a time. You cannot make 3-4 changes, then ask "what happened" when it doesn't work. Nobody will have any idea. Bad science.

02-14-2021, 04:01 PM
Free Member

I didn’t mean to bump the thread I was just adding detail as I tested things. I think the last post was another individual helping the cause.

I am keeping Lagarith Lossless for testing. I was just noting that Huffyuv is not showing up in either list on either VirtualDub program.

I am now able to capture video on both VirtualDub2 and VirtualDub 1.9.11 but I get no preview in VirtualDub 1.9.11

I just stumbled on the Audio selection preventing me from doing any capture. I’m not sure why that selection makes so much of a difference in operation of the VirtualDub programs but it does prevent any video capture if you have the wrong selection.

Last edited by NBD925; 02-14-2021 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
02-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBD925 View Post
I didn’t mean to bump the thread I was just adding detail as I tested things. I think the last post was another individual helping the cause.

I am keeping Lagarith Lossless for testing. I was just noting that Huffyuv is not showing up in either list on either VirtualDub program.

I am now able to capture video on both VirtualDub2 and VirtualDub 1.9.11 but I get no preview in VirtualDub 1.9.11

I just stumbled on the Audio selection preventing me from doing any capture. I’m not sure why that selection makes so much of a difference in operation of the VirtualDub programs but it does prevent any video capture if you have the wrong selection.
It wasn't showing up because you were trying to install the 64bit version. That only works with 64bit capture programs. VirtualDub is 32bit, so you need to use the 32bit Huffyuv.
03-31-2021, 09:33 PM
Free Member

A second correction: Nope, now it's not working again.

A correction: I moved the directory into my C:\Program Files (x86) folder and the program seems to be recognizing the device just fine now. Sometimes I need to just follow basic instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookemdano View Post
It wasn't showing up because you were trying to install the 64bit version. That only works with 64bit capture programs. VirtualDub is 32bit, so you need to use the 32bit Huffyuv.
I'm actually having the exact same problem as OP was having, and installing the 32bit version of either driver did not fix the issue for me. I was able to get the card up and running the very first time I plugged it in and used it with VDub, not a single time since. I know the card and its drivers are installed because I can use OBS to open it as a camera device, so I have absolutely no idea why VDub is having such a problem. For reference, yes, I am using 1.19.11, and I also get no video or audio preview, I've changed settings, changed them back and now I have absolutely no idea what I've changed or not so I effectively can't solve this problem. It says it's connected, but I don't see anything at all, just the background color of the application. Sometimes a black screen will show up in the top left corner, but then it goes away. I'm completely stumped.

-- merged --

After much messing about, I determined that there was a problem with something in my system causing the VirtualDub to go haywire, as I installed everything on my secondary PC and everything seems fine... however, what's weird is that when I'm capturing via VirtualDub, there's a lot of weird jittery frames, buy when I open the same avi file in Vegas, most of the jittery-ness seems to go away. I'm not sure if it's hardware issues with the card itself or what, because even playing back the same file in VirtualDub retains the artifacting and jitter which was present during capture. If anyone has any information on this, I'd appreciate it. I'll try to upload video file of what I'm talking about later, as the unedited avi is too large to put up here.

Edit: Attached is a 10 second mp4 file which depicts the jitteryness. The reason I couldn't see it in Vegas was because my preview quality was too low. I hope this card isn't somehow damaged. I'm also not sure if this has anything to do with my VCR being a Japanese model. Any information would be appreciated.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 VCR Test Render Vegas.mp4 (8.38 MB, 8 downloads)
04-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioGuy789 View Post
Edit: Attached is a 10 second mp4 file which depicts the jitteryness.
Why is the file 1080p?

04-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Why is the file 1080p?
Because I don't know what the standard for rendering is. I recorded the file in lossless AVI, and since that was too big, I edited literally everything else out except the VCR interface and rendered it at 1080 in Vegas, no particular reason. Even if I left it as is without any editing or changes, the example given is still representative of what it looks like, jittering and tearing.

Please inform me of the correct rendering settings, and I'll know for the future.

Addendum:

I also have no idea what is causing VirtualDub to go to crap on my main system, I've tried switching USB ports because I think my hub is dying on me, I plugged the device directly into my PC and VirtualDub still wouldn't pick it up correctly, not even with huffyuv installed, which is weird because, as I said previously, I can pick it up in OBS as a camera device without any issues.

Last edited by MarioGuy789; 04-03-2021 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Addendum