Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-17-2021, 09:21 PM
Free Member

I recently got my JVC HR-S8009UM in the mail yesterday and it's stunning in terms of quality. Yes, less jitter and stereo sound.

Currently experimenting. Featuring Bumpers of Sailor Moon during Syndication.
https://youtu.be/RVl_C_PLh0s

Here's a previous transfer I posted on YouTube. Check the earlier link, for the bumpers in comparision.
https://youtu.be/yRx5oLpvUoU
This was from my RCA Accusearch VCR and you can already tell it's bad.

While I like this VCR, I have a tiny problem over it. How can I turn off Automatic Tracking without the original remote?
Download my file in the attached files part. Below this post. The Automatic Tracking causes the tape to go out, but comes back on when the noise is reduced. I unfortunately don't know how to adjust tracking without the remote. This happens on all tapes, including retail released tapes.

Attached Files
File Type: avi amarec(20210317-2227).avi (83.30 MB, 7 downloads)

Last edited by ThomasFan1945Pro; 03-17-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-17-2021, 11:51 PM
Free Member

I had a look at the manual for that deck. With most VCRs you can adjust tracking via the front panel Channel +/- buttons but it seems this model has combined those with RW/FW, either for cost savings or to simplify (aka dumb down) the controls.

The only procedure the manual gives for adjusting tracking is using the remote, so you will need to get one. Two possibilities:

1. Determine the correct remote model and buy one used on ebay
2. Get a Logitech harmony remote--chances are good that it has the appropriate IR codes in its database.
03-18-2021, 05:36 AM
Free Member

The problem is that I don't know which one of those remotes will work and I'm scared of buying the wrong Logitech Harmony remote. To top on that, the original remote I can't find listed anywhere for sale. I was thinking of a JVC Multibrand; but again, which remote?

-- merged --

If I were honest, which is the best Logitech Harmony remote you recomend for a VCR like this.
03-18-2021, 09:03 AM
Free Member

Truly, any Logitech harmony will work--the advantage of them is that they use a central database of IR codes. Since you only want the remote for this specific purpose I would buy the cheapest one.

You can make sure that harmony has the codes for your VCR by typing in the model info here:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

Maybe some of the PAL & JVC experts here can tell you what JVC remotes are compatible with your deck.
03-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Free Member

Great news. I checked on the support page and it turns out that all Harmony products are supported. Does it show a code list of it is compatible with an IR Remote?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210318-164844_Samsung Internet.jpg (161.9 KB, 2 downloads)

Last edited by ThomasFan1945Pro; 03-18-2021 at 04:14 PM.
03-18-2021, 04:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Almost all JVC S-VHS are compatible with the JVC LP20303, which is under $20 on eBay, sometimes less than $10.

Autotracking on/off is usually controlled by channel up+down, then up or down to track. When a VCR has no up/down, then it's SP/EP on the remote and up/down on D-pad to track.

Improvement? I guess. The attachment was a tracking error, hard to judge anything from that.

The Youtube video was also too short to tell much of anything.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasFan1945Pro View Post
Great news. I checked on the support page and it turns out that all Harmony products are supported. I now need to find a remote with a codes sheet. (If it comes with one.)
Harmony remotes get set up via your computer (with an internet connection), so there's no need for codes. You just connect the remote to the computer, put in the model number(s) of your device(s) and it sets up the remote to work with it. That's why they're a nice improvement over most universal remotes.

That said, unless you want it for other purposes it might be overkill to get a harmony for this--setup can take a while and it tries to guide you into setting up macros and things (like to turn on your TV, AV receiver, and BluRay player and set everything to the right inputs). Those are nifty if you're looking for a remote to do that, but in your case I would just buy the remote LordSmurf recommended. You could always buy from a seller who accepts returns just in case it doesn't work.
03-18-2021, 04:18 PM
Free Member

Thanks guys. I will post a comparision of the Sailor Moon VHS Tape that has Stereo sound. Just note that they are AV Composite via record. I also now use my old Windows XP PC to capture my VHS Captures and it's experiencing less dropped frames. It's a Dell Optiplex 745. Currently in the looks of getting S-Video cables and a JVC Multibrand remote. I currently have 100 for my Birthday money, so I don't want to spend to much. Would also mean saving the DMR-ES15 or ES10 for later. Thanks guys for all your help.
03-18-2021, 04:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Don't overspend on s-video cables, cheap ones are often fine, whereas costly stuff like Monster is often junk. Insulation must exist, but there's a point of diminishing returned. The header matter most, so as not to damage your devices. Monster heads are generally too large, don't fit well.

03-18-2021, 06:01 PM
Free Member

Here's a better comparison. In fact, JVC HR-S8009UM is much better in comparison. Flagging is more noticeable in the RCA Accusearch. Image and Audio Quality is much better on the JVC HR-S8009UM. Converted with Uncompressed PCM Audio. Rendered with Lagarith Lossless Codec, deinterlaced with the Deinterlace feature in VirtualDub2.

-- merged --

Posted a new video on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/atczDwt5JHo
It turns out that Automatic Tracking is an issue on a few tapes. Recently got these Sailor Moon Tapes off Mercari in the mail today.

I have gotten the JVC Multibrand remote, also on the way. Got many plans for new digitizations (even without a DMR-ES15 or ES10.) if everything goes accordingly to plan. I have a special tape that I plan on transferring to digital for Jacobjackpot on eBay, after recently buying a part of his childhood recordings. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Moon...app-cvip-panel

Can't wait for what the future unfolds!

Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2021-03-18-18h59m43s252.png (495.0 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: png vlcsnap-2021-03-18-19h01m11s253.png (518.8 KB, 6 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mkv Barney (JVC HR-S8009UM, HQ Stereo).mkv (90.59 MB, 15 downloads)
File Type: mkv Barney (RCA Accusearch, Mono).mkv (91.23 MB, 13 downloads)
03-25-2021, 04:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

That Youtube video has a lot of jitter issues (wiggly video). It needs ES10/15 at minimum, or a better S-VHS VCR with line TBC. All of that wiggle would disappear, and you'd have nice stable video. Right now, it's just not enjoyable to watch.

03-25-2021, 11:20 AM
Free Member

Are you using the S-Video out or composite? Also is the line TBC ON in the VCR?
03-25-2021, 11:39 PM
Free Member

I'm afraid this is the best I can do for right now. I used composite for this recording, but I'm still looking into getting S-Video cables. I have already purchased a remote lordsmurf recommended and will be here at some point soon. Those Line TBC VCRs are too expensive and I can only afford what I could. To be honest, these digitizations are not for restoration purposes. They are just meant for archival and is still better than the Mono RCA VCR in terms of sound.
This VCR doesn't have Line TBC, but it does have S-Video output. It also has picture stabilizer and B.E.S.T options in the function menu. Maybe later in the fall, I'll look into getting the ES-10 or ES-15 down the road on eBay, even without a remote. I ususally see those sometimes go below 100 and I can probably use this time I have to earn it. Mercari sells these things too, so there is more than one option. Lordsmurf, I hate to say this, but this is an improvement over my previous digitizations. I understand I could do better, but now is not really the time to do so. You are the most well known and experienced in terms of VHS captures. I am happy with the effort of what I can afford, as I wanted to push that stupid VCR aside. It may have been the worse decision, but I had made that choice myself. I had plans right from the start on getting a DMR-ES15 or ES10, but I decided to get a JVC VCR with S-Video output first. That way, my problems would be less of an issue later if I can't get a VCR better than that stupid Mono VCR. Despite these issues, it's at least ok for now. I've been VHS Capturing since 2020, and I have improved a lot as of this year. Soon, I will become better in how I digitize tapes, maybe even redigitizing my older captures. As of now, idc as long if I bring better quality as time flies.

Last edited by ThomasFan1945Pro; 03-25-2021 at 11:54 PM.
03-26-2021, 01:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Until you can acquire that ES10/15, you need to do no more than practice some capturing. Save the actual capturing until you acquire the right tools to do a good job here.

A decent non-TBC JVC can be in the sub-$200 range, and ES10/15 sub-$100 range (and with remote). You just need to patiently look. And not just eBay, but your local Goodwill/etc stores, garage sales, Mercari, Craigslist, Facebook, etc. You'll spend time looking offline and online, when you have limited budget. But some folks have more time than money. The local options can sometimes net you nifty items for dozens of dollars, rather than hundreds. But it's luck, paired with constantly looking for those unicorn deals.

As a toon collector, it just really saddens me to see bad encodes.
- If you mess up those family home videos of playing T-ball, or school plays, or whatever, it very sad, but I personally don't care, because I'm not going to watch those.
- But when you mess up old unreleased toons, toy commercials, etc -- things I like and would watch, and the reason I got into video 25+ years ago -- it really sucks. It's a tease. It's not enjoyable to watch, but I know it could have been, had the person simply used some better hardware and methods. I've seen far, far too much of that over the decades. Not just years, but decades. I refuse to insult my eyes and ears with crap video quality -- which is why I got into restoration (attempt to make it enjoyable).

So just something to remember. Lots of collectors have this same mindset. Do it right, or why even bother? Nobody wants to see/hear bad quality.

03-26-2021, 04:42 AM
Free Member

To be honest, I can see from your point of view. Patience is more important that capturing. Just thought I bring this up, a non-line TBC I have is the HR-S8009UM, which I've already talked about actually owning right now and it's decent. The main problem tho is the automatic tracking. I have bought the LP20303-015 as you recommened it. I just don't know when it will get here. I get the problem your addresing, the picture is jittery. Despite these issues, this is just for the mid road trip. I do plan on getting a DMR-ES15 or ES10, rather save time and money, then get one for a sweet deal. Depends on seller, place, time, and consuming.
There's Facebook Marketplace and Goodwill, but I won't be going to them places as they probably may get bought by somebody else. So in favor, eBay and Mercari are better choices since I don't have to go pickup a Product without getting someone or myself sick.
You may not like my digitizations, but a few people like Oliver11GWR at Thomas TV Patrol doesn't have a DVD recorder with passthrough. I have recommended it to him as a TBC(ish) for capture, but I don't think he has got one yet. Same can be said for a few others. Watch the channel and see their airings, mainly Storytime with Thomas or the PBS Kids model era tape recordings or other recordings pre-2009.
Provided a few examples with wiggly video.

https://youtu.be/LHfmECpY6Uk
https://youtu.be/UkVtBaTlNvU

They are at least archiving content over bad quality, but it's the best some of them could do. I don't blame them though.
Basically the same problem as mine, jittery videos but many who seen these for upload didn't mind or care about the quality. They are just glad they're seeing preserved parts of Thomas history.

In all honesty, is Thomas TV Patrol doing a bad job or a good job? Your opinion is really up to you, as I can see you want more of professional archivals.

If you're interested in the channel and want to help them out, feel free to contact them whenever you like. Don't tell them I've told you this, https://twitter.com/BrandonHargus?s=09
https://twitter.com/Oliver11GWR?s=09

Last edited by ThomasFan1945Pro; 03-26-2021 at 05:09 AM.
03-27-2021, 11:06 PM
Free Member

I recently got my remote in the mail. Currently testing the tracking of tapes.
03-27-2021, 11:42 PM
Free Member

I can confirm that tracking does work using the remote. However, when I playback the tape, it still has the tracking error while adjusting the track manually. (Again, only applies for certain tapes probably because of the age or use of the tapes. Picture Stabilizer fixes these problems? )
Could it be the heads themselves or the internal components making the tracking not work properly?

Last edited by ThomasFan1945Pro; 03-28-2021 at 12:19 AM.