digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VHS to digital/DVD best setup, using NV-FS200 VCR? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11623-vhs-digital-dvd.html)

Uraz88 03-18-2021 01:53 PM

VHS to digital/DVD best setup, using NV-FS200 VCR?

Hello everyone

im new here and i would like to get some suggestions about to transfer vhs tapes to dvd or digital in the best quality as possible

Lately i got a SVHS PANASONIC Nv-Fs200,a dvd recorder Panasonic dmr-es10 and another dvd recorder Jvc dr-m10. as capture video card i own elegato video capture (130 euros) which is not bad from what i have converted using a normal Vcr
Of course i want use S-video connection but how i can connect everything starting from the output of the fs-200 and then?
i need also something more on the setup?

thank you in advance

lordsmurf 03-18-2021 02:03 PM

- NV-FS200 has field TBC (essentially multi-line)
- ES10 has strong+crippled line TBC with non-TBC frame sync, used only for passthrough, not to record DVDs
- You lack a frame sync TBC
- DR-M10 is nice JVC LSI-based DVD recorder, use on myself. The M10 has a non-TBC frame sync on input as well.
- Elgato is junk, replace with a better card

Not an ideal setup, even if using many good pieces.

FS200 (TBC on) > DR-M10 to makes DVDs (or capture card to capture to computer)
Since not frame TBC, you may run into issues.

FS200 (TBC off) > ES10 > DR-M10 or capture card
The ES10 has side effects, but sometimes can act as a weaker TBC, what I refer to as TBC(ish), sometimes. Not always, but some of the time. The FS200 TBC is better, so you lose out.

Try it as-is.
Or go ahead and get the frame TBC to complete the workflow.

You must use VirtualDub (if not use M10 DVD recorder), as it will report frame drops. The DVD recorders will just have glitchy areas when frames dropped.

Uraz88 03-18-2021 02:12 PM

Many thanks lordsmurf

so probably if i go with this setup:

FS200 (TBC on) > DR-M10 to makes DVDs

i could get some good image quality?

using of course s-video cable i will start connect from fs200 on the input or output?

sorry im bit nooby on this

if you could show me a scheme showing the cables connection

Thank you lordsmurf really

bookemdano 03-18-2021 02:46 PM

Yes, use S-Video cables wherever possible (along with the red+white RCA cables for the audio):

FS200 output --> SR-M10 input

Try that way first. If you have any tapes that don't work well with the FS200's TBC, try transferring just those tapes via the other method:

FS200 (built-in TBC off) output --> Panasonic ES10 input, then another S-Video cable from Panasonic ES10 output --> SR-M10 input

Uraz88 03-18-2021 02:55 PM

thank you for the setup

the Nv FS200 is really nice machine

Uraz88 03-22-2021 04:06 AM

So a best capture card what would be?