Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-29-2021, 08:52 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone

I own the following machines (some of them are coming)

-SVSHS PANASONIC NV-HS960
-DVD RECORDERS PANASONIC DMR-EH65 AND DMR-ES10
-JVC DVD RECORDER DR-M10
-BLACKMAGIC INTENSITY PRO 4K (capture card)

if someone can suggest me the perfect or very good setup for transfer vhs to dvd or digital in high quality
and what machines are suggested beetwen ones i have

thank you so much
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-29-2021, 09:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uraz88 View Post
-JVC DVD RECORDER DR-M10
VCR > ES10 > JVC M10
That should give some decent results.

Quote:
Not for SD use, HD only.

Quote:
what machines are suggested beetwen ones i have
- an actual frame sync TBC, instead of ES10
- JVC S-VHS VCR with line TBC good addition to a Panasonic with field TBC
- that is one of the best DVD recorders already, removes chroma noise from tape sources; certain Toshiba and Sony may have some interesting items as additional units

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-29-2021, 09:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
VCR > ES10 > JVC M10
That should give some decent results.

Not for SD use, HD only.

- an actual frame sync TBC, instead of ES10
- JVC S-VHS VCR with line TBC good addition to a Panasonic with field TBC
- that is one of the best DVD recorders already, removes chroma noise from tape sources; certain Toshiba and Sony may have some interesting items as additional units
Thank you much
I will follow these steps so

I tought blackmagic intensity pro would be also good because have also svideo analog input
Wasnt going to use the hdmi
But if you say not good for sp so i take your word
03-29-2021, 09:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Hi everyone

I own the following machines (some of them are coming)

-JVC DVD RECORDER DR-M10
HS960-EH65 (HDMI)-HDMI Splitter-Intensity Pro

if your tapes have strong jitter:
HS960-ES10-EH65-HDMI Splitter-Intensity Pro

With the Intensity you grab the digital stream (720x576i) from the dvd recorder as uncompressed yuv2 file. Don't use the analog inputs of the Intensity. You could find a tutorial about it on german videoforum. I and some others have posted the link here a few times on digital FAQ.

Unfortunately the Lord have never tested this way.

If you don't wanna do some clean up with Avisynth/Virtual Dub you could made captures in mpg2 with one of the dvd recorders.

The biggest hurdle is to find a hdmi splitter that removes the hdcp protection. Unfortunately I can't recommend one right now because I bought the last one in 2018 and it's no longer available. Best to study the reviews on amazon.
03-29-2021, 12:02 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
HS960-EH65 (HDMI)-HDMI Splitter-Intensity Pro

if your tapes have strong jitter:
HS960-ES10-EH65-HDMI Splitter-Intensity Pro

With the Intensity you grab the digital stream (720x576i) from the dvd recorder as uncompressed yuv2 file. Don't use the analog inputs of the Intensity. You could find a tutorial about it on german videoforum. I and some others have posted the link here a few times on digital FAQ.

Unfortunately the Lord have never tested this way.

If you don't wanna do some clean up with Avisynth/Virtual Dub you could made captures in mpg2 with one of the dvd recorders.

The biggest hurdle is to find a hdmi splitter that removes the hdcp protection. Unfortunately I can't recommend one right now because I bought the last one in 2018 and it's no longer available. Best to study the reviews on amazon.

Thanks for the guide man
but the HDMI mode doesnt make the analog picture from the tape more worse? just thinking you know
03-29-2021, 12:23 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Thanks for the guide man
but the HDMI mode doesnt make the analog picture from the tape more worse? just thinking you know
Maybe it's better you follow Lord Smurfs recommendations. More problems will come if you have to install the splitter hardware. Wrong settings and you will have no picture.

I think I speaking against walls.

The analog signal from the svideo out of your svhs videorecorder is digitized when using a dvd recorder in passthrough mode. If the output is via the analog outputs such as composite or Y/C (scart), the digital internal signal is converted back to analog. In the HDMI mode, the internal digital signal is tapped via intensity pro. You save the digital to analog conversion for the analog outputs of the DVD recorder.

Feel free to follow the advanced users because everyone prefers a slightly different way to capture.
Whether this is Lord Smurf, Latreche24, hodgey or sanlyn to name a few.
the hdmi way was the result of 4 years of testing on german videoboard. The users goldwingfahrer, gubel and some more tested many capture solutions that were available on the german market.
Is it the perfect method. No (you have to know the peculiarities of the different DVD recorders and possibly accept the picture they output). Each capture way has its advantages and disadvantages. You should use the search function here and read up first and then decide for yourself what is your perfect way that fits your tapes and especially your budget.
My recommendation for PAL countires would be a Canopus NX with Edius which I use. But I'm not an advanced user either (and Lord Smurf have never tested too...).

Last edited by Bogilein; 03-29-2021 at 12:50 PM.
03-29-2021, 12:33 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
Maybe it's better you follow Lord Smurfs recommendations. More problems will come if you have to install the splitter hardware. Wrong settings and you will have no picture.

I think I speaking against walls.

The analog signal from the svideo out of your svhs videorecorder is digitized when using a dvd recorder in passthrough mode. If the output is via the analog outputs such as composite or Y/C (scart), the digital internal signal is converted back to analog. In the HDMI mode, the internal digital signal is tapped via intensity pro. You save the digital to analog conversion for the analog outputs of the DVD recorder.
okay thank you
i will try
one last thing: didnt understand about the hardware splitter, is that hdmi splitter that costs around 20 euros?

something of this?

https://www.amazon.it/TESmart-Splitt...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
03-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Free Member

Thanks both of you anyway
Will try first with the svhs and dvd recorder es10 and jvc drm10 set and lets see
If im not pleased i will get probably the blackmagic and do the hdmi connection