digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Hauppauge USB2 live vs. Elegato video capture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11693-hauppauge-usb2-live.html)

Uraz88 04-01-2021 05:16 AM

Hauppauge USB2 live vs. Elegato video capture?

Im wondering which one is the best
Im not looking for a professional hdmi card or whatever
So a perfect one for sp tapes
I own elecrap..ops elegato which elaborate the videos on mp4
A decent result is using s-video
Now im wondering how is the Hauppauge?
I have windows 10 pro

lollo2 04-01-2021 06:53 AM

Comparison between the 2 cards in lossless mode:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...Raw-Comparison

Example of one of my Hauppauge capture in lossless mode:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post75736

Example of one of my Hauppauge capture in mpeg2 mode (something I never use):
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...HS#post2612534

Somebody else here (with crushed whites):
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...s-video-sample

Many others on DF and VH!

Judge yourself ;-)

Uraz88 04-02-2021 03:00 AM

thank you, i think i will get it because soon also i will get my super vcr
maybe at my opinion hauppauge is better than elegato

lordsmurf 04-03-2021 10:41 AM

The Elgato is worse.

Not a fan of that exact Hauppauge, but I'm not against it either. It's at low end of (sometimes) acceptable results. Like some Dazzles, or VC500. A primary issues is that Hauppauge would recycle model names/numbers, and have mid-production changes. So that may account for all the varied good/bad feedback on these cards. The same issue afflicts Dazzle and VC500, variable. So you never know what you're getting, how it may react. It's not like ATI 600 USB (or clones), ATI AIW, etc, where output quality is constant.

Uraz88 04-03-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 76537)
The Elgato is worse.

Not a fan of that exact Hauppauge, but I'm not against it either. It's at low end of (sometimes) acceptable results. Like some Dazzles, or VC500. A primary issues is that Hauppauge would recycle model names/numbers, and have mid-production changes. So that may account for all the varied good/bad feedback on these cards. The same issue afflicts Dazzle and VC500, variable. So you never know what you're getting, how it may react. It's not like ATI 600 USB (or clones), ATI AIW, etc, where output quality is constant.

the problem is i cant find anywhere the ATI 600 USB
so the only thing that i can choose is the hauppauge
even if i find the ati 600 usb how i could connect it to my super vcr using s-video?i see that ati 600 have only one input? correct me if im wrong im a noob on this

Ati TV wonder 600 right? usb
https://www.amazon.it/ATI-Wonder-600.../dp/B00138EOH8

lordsmurf 04-03-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uraz88 (Post 76540)

http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/marketplace :wink2:

And the cards wasn't sold new in Europe, because it had an NTSC tuner. So you'll have a hard time finding it within Europe. But the tuner is useless anyway, and the s-video/composite works with PAL, NTSC, and some others.

Uraz88 04-03-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 76543)
http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/marketplace :wink2:

And the cards wasn't sold new in Europe, because it had an NTSC tuner. So you'll have a hard time finding it within Europe. But the tuner is useless anyway, and the s-video/composite works with PAL, NTSC, and some others.

thank you!!

i have sent you a private message

lollo2 04-03-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Hauppauge would recycle model names/numbers, and have mid-production changes
Maybe the PVR models, never heard of it for the USB-Live 2

Quote:

So that may account for all the varied good/bad feedback on these cards
I never found a bad judgement for the USB-Live 2, except when capturing from composite or when pretending it features jitter correction.

VC500 (similar USB-Live 2 hardware, sanlyn favourite!) had some variants and I found contradictory judgements, probably because the production changes you mentioned.

Uraz88 04-03-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollo2 (Post 76549)
Maybe the PVR models, never heard of it for the USB-Live 2

I never found a bad judgement for the USB-Live 2, except when capturing from composite or when pretending it features jitter correction.

VC500 (similar USB-Live 2 hardware, sanlyn favourite!) had some variants and I found contradictory judgements, probably because the production changes you mentioned.

I think the model 601 is the best and bit hard to find
Thats why
Maybe the new model usb 2 live is bit bad

lollo2 04-03-2021 01:45 PM

They are absolutely the same, just a name change for USA ;-)

In Italy is called Hauppauge WinTV-Live 2 :) :)

Uraz88 04-03-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollo2 (Post 76551)
They are absolutely the same, just a name change for USA ;-)

In Italy is called Hauppauge WinTV-Live 2 :) :)

Ah okay but I’m wondering why the model 601 in some web sites costs a lot
Than the usb wintv live 2
Maybe i miss something or..
So both are same

Bogilein 04-04-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uraz88 (Post 76540)
so the only thing that i can choose is the hauppauge
even if i find the ati 600 usb how i could connect it to my super vcr using s-video?i see that ati 600 have only one input? correct me if im wrong im a noob on this

Ati TV wonder 600 right? usb
https://www.amazon.it/ATI-Wonder-600.../dp/B00138EOH8

I hope if you buy the ATI 600 USB or an ATI AIW that you also buy a TBC. The ATI'S are known for the wrong Macrovision detection even if there is no Macrovision. Just google it. But this is not a bug of the ATI'S is a feature.

lordsmurf 04-04-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogilein (Post 76576)
I hope if you buy the ATI 600 USB or an ATI AIW that you also buy a TBC. The ATI'S are known for the wrong Macrovision detection even if there is no Macrovision. Just google it. But this is not a bug of the ATI'S is a feature.

ATI's MV detection is no more or less than anything else. Not other captures cards, DVD recorders, or even VCRs.

Canopus and Matrox get it. Blackmagic especially easily chokes (and has issues even when TBC is present).

Even when "detection" doesn't kick in, actual video errors still cause issues, so TBC is unavoidable.

Beware of just randomly "googling" certain topics, as some comments online are from people that don't know their ass from their elbow. Not just with video, but in general. You always need to vet information.

eBay is a cesspool of stupid. I see so much crap there that has obvious misinformation, but even after vetting eBay items you can get random junk that doesn't work. Some newbies make the bad mistake of being "educated" by eBay listings, but actually walk away dumber. (Non-video, but I recently ordered a belt from there, had the part number. It arrived, and is too narrow, not actually OEM as claimed. I also recently ordered a phone case, and it's too small for the phone. WTF? :screwy:)

Bogilein 04-05-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 76582)
This Tevion has the same (??) Empia chipset as the ATI 600 USB. IRE, contrast, color and sharpness are all at good levels.

More interesting, unlike the ATI 600 USB, the Tevion ignores copy protection. I've also seen several instances where tearing was reduced or removed. If you have SP retail tapes, this is a perfect card to have. It may even be better than the ATI 600 USB for this reason. I've never investigated the card internals further, but it must have some sort of minor sync filtering/correction to achieve this feat. (Note: Also, for this reason, it's not an EZcap clone, as that card has quality issues not present here.)

The Tevion doesn't use the ATI Catalyst drivers, but has it's own installer. So no ATI CMC, meaning no MPEG. However, it records really nice Huffyuv lossless AVI captures. Exquisite even! And the ATI drivers can be a PITA at times anyway.

- It works in Windows XP and Vista using the install disc.
- It works in Windows 7, 8, and 10 using the video driver from the disc, and a generic driver in Windows. On Win7/8/10, you must turn the audio down to '1' in the OS (50% value), else it will distort/redline.

Everyone just has a different view of things. The ATI's were known to recognize copy protection even on tapes that had no copy protection. At least the ATI AIW that were available in Germany. Many other cards did not have this feature. The workaround was to use an external TBC.
My advice to order a TBC was well meant because he should know the disadvantages of the recommended card.
But since the post opener doesn't have a big plan which hardware to use if I follow the posts of the last week and none of us knows how the quality of his videotapes is I would recommend him a Panasonic ES10/15 first. This will greatly upgrade the quality of his capture. If he is not satisfied he can always look for a better TBC. The Panasonic DMR's parts are available for little money like sand on the beach here in Europe (Germany).
I know the disadvantages but also the advantages. (Unfortunately the contributions of scharfis brain to the Panasonic ES10 PAL were totally ignored). But since there is no perfect capture hardware with which you can record any tape, this is a good start. There are also enough advanced users who use the DMR's without a DVK or external TBC. You can also read everything here. The hardware must also fit the tapes. Also the often mentioned TBC's are not perfect. But since I know the disadvantages only from reading and hearsay (and I use another external TBC when this is needed) would be only something from the realm of legends and myths.

lordsmurf 04-05-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogilein (Post 76603)
this is a good start.

When you have a small project (<50 tapes), and are on a budget, it is indeed a good start. :congrats:

Quote:

Also the often mentioned TBC's are not perfect.
There are a few that approach it, all of them rarer models that are rarely seen. Handling luma correctly, even when faced with ugly anti-copy, can be a challenge. Most of those are not mere dumb boxes (ie TBC-1000) with no settings/options.

Quote:

But since I know the disadvantages only from reading and hearsay (and I use another external TBC when this is needed) would be only something from the realm of legends and myths.
It's not myth.

- Posterization can appear like banding, and on the ES10/15 is more visible in dark scenes (like the 1989 Batman movie). VHS should be like 6-bit dithered, but the ES10/15 makes it look like outright 6-bit at times.

- I believe the posterization is due to the NR, which is never fully off (even when "off"). There's also misty ghost-like things going on at times, sort of an after-artifact. The NTSC ES10 is stronger, and as a result so is the NR. The PAL ES10 acts closer to the ES15 that I've seen. Realize that I own PAL and NTSC ES10, and NTSC ES15. I actually have some banding samples from the PAL ES10, along with samples that shows how craptastic Canopus ADVC-300 is on PAL. Just not had time to make those available shareable.

- Panasonic luma is notorious, everything from over/under IRE, to green/red shifts, to overexposure. I've never seen a NTSC Panasonic that doesn't screw up luma. I was actually under the impression that PAL was different, but you pointed out some flaws with PAL Panasonics at least a year ago.

Bogilein 04-11-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 76608)
I actually have some banding samples from the PAL ES10, along with samples that shows how craptastic Canopus ADVC-300 is on PAL. Just not had time to make those available shareable.

I would like to see the samples not just words to learn something.

I've never said the ES10 is perfect and I rarely use it. But for many users this should mean a huge leap in quality because they often don't know what to look out for and have no way of comparing them with other hardware.

Here is something from the realm of legends and myths because I have neither of the two devices over the recommended TBC's Datavideo-1000 & AVT-8710 (Green).

Written by Mr.Sanlyn (who is a more advanced user here in the forum but has not been active here for a long time, hope that his status has not changed to remembered) from the Videohelp forum:

My AVT-8710 has a distinct effect on hue and saturation, and these issues are not easily correctable, because the effects are totally nonlinear. Certain colors are emphasized, whereas others become faded. It's not hugely obvious if you're just watching the video, but you'll definitely see it in a side-by-side comparison of frames with and without the AVT-8710. It also creates checkerboard artifacts . . .

Answer by Mr. Sanlyn:
I get the same effects from my AVT-8710. You can somewhat mitigate the problem with brights by using the 8710's image controls and lowering contrast. Lowering brightness doesn't help, and the hue control is useless for everything except badly discolored tapes -- but for tapes that bad, you'll have to do additional post-processing to fix the problems. One cause of this bloated brights effects is not just over-brightening the image, but most of the effect seems to be in raising gamma somehow. You can correct this in Avisynth or VirtualDub. I use the 8710 only for Macrovision when the pass-thru doesn't defeat it, although I do have copy protected tapes that went thru my Toshiba with no need for a frame tbc. As I said, copy protection comes in many flavors: you don't know what the effects will be until you try a capture. As for the dot crawl and fine grid you see on the 8710, most denoisers make detail look rather weird when trying to clean it, but I find NeatVideo does a superb job clearing it.
I don't know that the TBC-1000 has any of those same effects, but its image softening was just intolerable to me. I returned it and got the 8710.