Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Hi All,
I'm kinda sorta happy with my dvd recorder. I got it from Costco after hearing so many good reviews about it. The Costco ones are from the July 2004 batch that thus far, can't be hacked for the 3-hour mode but, that's ok with me. I'm not comfortable with the menu system that it automatically creates, and I wish I could manually move or delete the stops, but this being my 1st recorder, maybe I expected too much (for a sub $200 recorder especially). Ok, on to my problem.

I bought the recorder so I could transfer camcorder DV tapes on to DVD. Then, I want to make copies of them to share with other members of my group. I think the 5005 created disks has some proprietary formatting or something. I have the latest version of Nero, but for some reason it never finishes writing the image to burn.I've also tried using DVDShrink and it says the disk has an Invalid Navigation Structure. I've tried DVD Decrypter and it also hangs when decrypting. I've been using TDK DVD+R's both in the 5005 and in my computer.

So has anybody managed to duplicate a disk made with the 5005? Please tell me how you did it. Thank you!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-28-2004, 03:16 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

DVD recorders is DVD+VR or DVD-VR format, not DVD-Video used by tools like Nero, DVD Shrink, etc. File structure is entirely different.

If you want to replicate the discs, you have one consideration, and two options:

Consideration: The DVD-ROM drive in the computer must read the disc and be able to play it on software DVD player. Some computer drives reject DVD+VR/DVD-VR discs.

Options:
1) Rip DVD to hard drive in ISO mode with DVD Decrypter. Burn ISO from hard drive to new DVD. Follow the DVD5 copying guide on digitalFAQ.com
2) Have a DVD-ROM and DVD-burner in computer, use Nero to copy disc-to-disc on-the-fly.

Easy as that.

I can copy all mine disc-to-disc.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Premium Member

No sooner than after I wrote this, voila - I was finally able to duplicate a disk! I used the RW blank that came with the recorder, instead of the TDK+R's. And then I made another copy with the copied TDK+R!

So what does that mean, when recording with the 5005, the RW's are less prone to have errors than the non-rewritables?

Also as an aside, I did this in 6-hour mode... yeah, splitting the video into (2) 3-hour disks would have probably looked much, much better. Too bad there's no firmware upgrade for that. I did write to liteon support and mentioned it a about a month back, but their response: "We are currently looking into those features and see if we can implement them in future products."
11-28-2004, 03:33 AM

No. The +R and +RW use different sub-formats on DVD+VR format.

The LiteOn 6-hour, on live action at least, isn't horrible. It seems to use an adaptive deinterlace, not a drop-frame like other recorders. Adaptive is the best of the deinterlace methods.

11-28-2004, 05:39 AM
Premium Member

My computer's DVD drive was able to read the +RW that was recorded from the 5005. It's never been able to read a +R recored from the 5005, so the sub-format thing makes sense for the 5005.

But, the copy I made was using a +R, and my computer's DVD drive was able to read that +R to make a second copy. I should also note, I use a second DVD writer drive on my computer to make the copies.

The DV tapes were of my group's practice sessions, they were live action. So is there a switch to put it in adaptive mode? Or maybe it's already in adaptive but I'm expecting too much. The faces are just a blur in 6-hour mode, and the audio seems to lag just a tiny bit behind the video.
11-28-2004, 07:06 AM

Adaptive is the method hard-wired into the deinterlace for x240/x288 resolutions. Just the way it works. I only use it one thing I throw away later, watch-once stuff.

11-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

I'm trying to avoid doing the decrypter stuff, that's why I bought a dvd recorder, to just transfer tape stuff (DV & VHS) on a disk without needing to rip and author on a computer. It's not the prettiest job, but it's adequate enough for me.

My problem was making copies of the disk. But now by Jove I think I've got it!

Ok, going back to my 2nd copy: Was that unusual that I was able to make another copy using the +R disk as a source? I'm kinda afraid to over-write the +RW for fear that the +R's may not work as a source disk If I ever want to make more copies. But then, I don't want to have to buy +RW's just use them once.

11-28-2004, 03:52 PM

I'm lost.

You made a ________ (DVD+R? DVD+RW?) on LiteON
You tried to copy this _______ on PC, reading it with _______ (DVD burner? DVD-ROM?) using ________ (what software?)

This did not work.

Instead you put the _______ (disc?) in the ________ (drive?) and it copied just fine.

++++++++++++++

Based on guesses, being lost, it sounds like your problem is simply that the DVD-ROM will not read a DVD+R disc, which is not uncommon. Buy a new DVD-ROM. I have an LG and love it. The PIONEER ones are great too.

And then I have 50 DVD+RW discs that I re-use often. I have a dozen DVD-RW and 10 DVD-RAM too. Can never have too many discs, especially with modern low prices.

11-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Ok, start again <g>
I have:
A LiteOn 5005
An HP computer with 2 drives:
- Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-8000 (I really like this drive. I found a region resetter for it, so I can play R2's then run the resetter and the available changes go back to 4 more times again.)
- DVDRW IDE1008 driver ver 0159 (I got it from CompUSA last year, I recently updated the driver)

First attempts were DVD+R's on LiteOn.
I then stuck the DVD+R in the DVD-ROM drive and tried to replicate it, using Nero. It failed every time. I also tried re-anylizing them with DVDShrink. DVDShrink couldn't read the disks. I also tried decrypting them with DVD Decrypter. There were errors all over them.

Right about the same time I wrote to this forum, I decided to try the DVD+RW disk (I'm assuming it's a +RW) that came in the LiteOn box, and recorded my camcorder tapes to it on the LiteOn. Then I took this disk and put in in my DVD-ROM drive, put a blank DVD+R in my DVD-RW drive and used Nero and was successful making a copy on the DVD+R disk. Success at last!

Then to go one step further, I took the new DVD+R out of the DVD-RW drive, put it in the DVD-ROM drive, put another blank DVD+R disk into the DVD-RW drive, and ran Nero again. Success again!

So, my Hitachi DVD-ROM drive can read a DVD+R disk; it just couldn't read one made on the LiteOn.

I just bought a pack of (5) Maxell DVD+RW's and I'm recording on it right now. I'm scared to write over my original successful DVD+RW disk, cause maybe my DVD+R to DVD+R copy was a fluke, and I don't want to have to go back to the tapes and re-record them to DVD+RW again.
11-29-2004, 02:38 AM

I still think it's the Hitachi drive. I had a GD-8000 that I threw in the trash because it was flukey when reading media.

11-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Possibly, but for me thus far, the Hitachi drive works good enough for me.

Hey, I just tried the method you described in your first message in this forum, "the lordsmurf method using DVD recorders", except instead of DVDit PE, I used IFOedit (per AfterDawn.com's instruction). So sad, I failed.

I recorded from a VHS last night but fell asleep and didn't press stop when it was done and ended up with a large amount of black space, so I decided to try to decrypt and edit off the end (and clean up the start of the recording too). But when it was done, and I stuck it into the 2 DVD players I have, the DVD would freeze up from time to time. Oh well, I guess I'm going to have to live with the junk begining and extra recorded dead video at the end, until I feel up for more tweaking and fiddling.