05-06-2021, 12:30 AM
Free Member

Hi, thanks for your help as always.

I use Diamond VC-500 capturer

I need better software to capture directly in mp4 or mpeg2, I am currently using Honestech VHS to DVD 8.0 Deluxe, this is fine but the image has recurrent loss of frames, not sound.

The reason I don't choose to use lossless VirtualDub and then convert it to mp4 is that the job takes twice as long. Except that I need better quality for some reason, in that case if I use VirtualDub.

Greetings and thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-07-2021, 12:46 AM
Free Member

I'd highly encourage you to use VirtualDub to capture lossless-wise, and then proceed to encode if you must. These things will take a while, it's a matter of patience.

That being said, the CyberLink PowerDirector that is bundled with your Diamond VC500 should be what you are looking for, given that you have the activation code. If I recall though, it may prevent capture due to Macrovision on some tapes.

Also an mp4 is a container whereas mpeg-2 is a standard for encoding.
05-07-2021, 01:45 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklehound View Post
I'd highly encourage you to use VirtualDub to capture lossless-wise, and then proceed to encode if you must. These things will take a while, it's a matter of patience.

That being said, the CyberLink PowerDirector that is bundled with your Diamond VC500 should be what you are looking for, given that you have the activation code. If I recall though, it may prevent capture due to Macrovision on some tapes.

Also an mp4 is a container whereas mpeg-2 is a standard for encoding.
Thanks for your answer

I understand what you say. But nevertheless I would like to know a good software that captures directly with Mpeg2 compression or whatever. The capture time with VirtualDub is doubled, and it is true that the result is better but I do not see it significantly better for the extra time that it entails.

i have cyberlink powerDirector software but it is very bad, it has copyright protection bug.

I am also going to consider trying again to use VirtualDub, but anyway I would like to know other software.
05-07-2021, 05:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I'd highly encourage you to use VirtualDub to capture lossless-wise, and then proceed to encode if you must
I agree. Attached a comparison between a lossless and a 10Mbps MPEG-2 real-time capture with Hauppauge USB Live 2; the first is better. The image does not say much (I am not able to upload a png format, and a h264 compressed video would be useless), but watching the original comparison video interleaved or side by side shows not negligible differences).

In addition, if you plan any restoration work, it is much easier and effective to work with lossless 4:2:2 format!

comp.jpg

Tags
lossy, mp4, software, vc-500, vhs