04-23-2021, 08:44 AM
Free Member

So i finally got the new Xfr rig up and running last night, i was so excited.

Going Sony Hi8 out to the DV TBC-1000 into a Pinnacle USB 510 into VideoDub. THEN i take the file and import it into sony vegas. I did a very short 20 second run just to give it all a test drive.

I was SHOCKED at what i saw. After spending a considerable amount of $$ the image quality looks like something a 2 year old with crayons could do. See attached images.

The screen on the sony camera shows a nicely shot video. Looks pretty good actually. But what my MONDO rig gave me ....gives me indigestion.

I NEED suggestions and comments.

YEARS ago i had a conopus 100 thingy and it passed video through that looked as good as what the camcorder produced. WHAT on earth am i missing with a substantially MORE expensive rig?

What you see is a completed transfer dont on a Windows 10 machine. I could not get my Win 7 set up to cooperate (posting another thread about this).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6158.jpg (107.1 KB, 39 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_6157.jpg (55.1 KB, 27 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-23-2021, 08:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
How does it look in VirtualDub?
Probably just a settings issue. What you're seeing isn't normal.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-23-2021, 08:55 AM
Free Member

VirtualDub is very very new to me. I am trying to learn it as best i can. When i did the capture...the capture screen is simply blank but i can see it grabbing frames and reporting NO dropped frames.

I have not closed the capture screen and tried importing the file into virtual dub's editor.

You suggest doing that?

NOW, when i imported the files Vegas has a pop up and asks me if i want to match project settings (or something like that). I have always answered 'yes' on that in the past. I failed to try it and select 'no'. I will also try that this weekend.
04-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Free Member

In the first photo I can see

Project: 352x240x32, 29.970p
Preview: 44x30x32, 29.970p

So it looks like you've only captured at half resolution, and for some reason are previewing it at well below that.

Check your VDub capture settings. NTSC should be 720x480.

(or perhaps it's just the playback that is low res.. try playing the file back in VDub/Media Player and see how it looks)
The following users thank kingbean for this useful post: Denicio (04-26-2021)
04-26-2021, 08:12 AM
Free Member

Kingbean,

Thanks, i will look at those settings specifically. What i did do....was tinker with a few settings in Vegas and DID find that my preview quality was set to a default lower setting. ON top of that when i drug the clip into Vegas and it asked if i wanted to match the settings of the project...selecting no seemed to also yield better results.

Once i toggled those around i got a quality picture! So there was success! Tonight i will look at the VDub capture settings to make sure its set as you suggested.
04-29-2021, 09:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbean View Post
In the first photo I can see

Project: 352x240x32, 29.970p
Preview: 44x30x32, 29.970p

So it looks like you've only captured at half resolution, and for some reason are previewing it at well below that.

Check your VDub capture settings. NTSC should be 720x480.

(or perhaps it's just the playback that is low res.. try playing the file back in VDub/Media Player and see how it looks)
King Bean,

Okay, i spent nearly an hour ticking through ALL the settings on VideoDub and i simply cant find the project settings where i can check and change them. I work with DAW's (Nuendo 1 to Cubase 11) and i've used Vegas....both robust programs but seemingly easy to find the settings. Videodub has stumped me.

Can you or anyone else tell me how to get to the screen where i can tweak the settings. Heck, i cant even SEE the resolution its set at.
04-29-2021, 02:38 PM
Free Member

do a test with VLC (Videolan) it can record from a card

Go in media >> convert/record >> capture (mode directshow) > choose your card and the most important: size frame write: 720x480 then play a tape and start recording (choose a profile: mpeg2 TS, put a good birate 9000 for video, 192 for audio)
04-29-2021, 02:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
do a test with VLC (Videolan) it can record from a card

Go in media >> convert/record >> capture (mode directshow) > choose your card and the most important: size frame write: 720x480 then play a tape and start recording (choose a profile: mpeg2 TS, put a good birate 9000 for video, 192 for audio)
What is VLC?

EDIT Nevermind....ignore. I thought it was something else besides what i know it to be (video player for windows)
04-29-2021, 04:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denicio View Post
Videodub has stumped me.
Here's a comprehensive guide to VirtualDub: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

If you follow along to that as you go, you should be able to get yourself sorted.
04-30-2021, 10:30 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbean View Post
Here's a comprehensive guide to VirtualDub: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

If you follow along to that as you go, you should be able to get yourself sorted.
Awesome! Thanks for the links. I will do a deep dive into the info you provided.

Gotta say "Capture PIN" is a TERRIBLE name for capture settings. Thats why i had so much trouble finding those settings.